Space X announces 42-engine reusable rocket

Started by Jacob, September 28, 2016, 03:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2016, 03:51:20 PM

I would argue with Tesla he has yet to demonstrate the ability to produce a cost-competitive electric car with reasonable performance.

I don't get the reasonable performance part. Electric motors are nice because they can apply instant torque. They should accelerate and perform better provided they have equivalent horse power.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2016, 03:56:27 PM
I don't get the reasonable performance part. Electric motors are nice because they can apply instant torque. They should accelerate and perform better provided they have equivalent horse power.

I was thinking primarily of time between charging.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Liep on September 28, 2016, 03:40:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2016, 03:35:33 PM
Did you think something like the discrediting of earthly empires would stop humanity's eternal need to colonize? Hell no. Watch out universe.

But who would want to live there? I get why people would want to be the first to go there, the desire to explore, etc, but to actually colonize it and have people live there permanently? I don't see it.

Let's say .0001% of people disagree and want to do it.  That's almost 10,000 people.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Liep

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 28, 2016, 04:18:12 PM
Let's say .0001% of people disagree and want to do it.  That's almost 10,000 people.

From a pool of people with $500,000. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Hamilcar

Even if the ticket price for the first few is in the range of several million, I don't think there'll be any trouble filling the first few ships.

The Brain

Did you think something like the discrediting of earthly empires would stop humanity's eternal need to colonize? Hell no. Watch out universe.

But who would want to live there? I get why people would want to be the first to go there, the desire to explore, etc, but to actually colonize it and have people live there permanently? I don't see it.

They won't have civil strife on Mars because no one in the Space X target group is a complete twat.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Hamilcar

Quote from: The Brain on September 28, 2016, 04:36:20 PM

They won't have civil strife on Mars because no one in the Space X target group is a complete twat.

There's a strict "no millennials" policy.

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 28, 2016, 04:32:10 PM
Even if the ticket price for the first few is in the range of several million, I don't think there'll be any trouble filling the first few ships.

I don't understand who would want to do that though. Old folk? People with lots of cash who love deprivation and the notion of being deprived for the rest of their lives?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2016, 03:51:20 PM
The same issue is raised with colonizing Mars.  I'm not aware of any impossible technical hurdles, but the question is cost.

The answer here is of course there's no feasible way for Elon Musk to do this on his own.  Not from his own money, not from private citizens.

What he wants to do is have NASA buy into his vision and fund this plan.  Which is pretty much what he has done with Tesla and SpaceX.  Tesla's models were only affordable at first because of very generous tax credits, and SpaceX relies on most of its funding by providing launches to NASA.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2016, 04:41:08 PM

I don't understand who would want to do that though. Old folk? People with lots of cash who love deprivation and the notion of being deprived for the rest of their lives?

People in love with the romance of space, people in search of adventure, people who want to be trailblazers, people who want to make history, people who love the challenge.

While most of us a fairly risk averse and partial to our usual comforts, there'll always be some who are not.

Admiral Yi

I think the time required would kill the demand for casual Mars sightseeing.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2016, 04:43:07 PM

People in love with the romance of space, people in search of adventure, people who want to be trailblazers, people who want to make history, people who love the challenge.

While most of us a fairly risk averse and partial to our usual comforts, there'll always be some who are not.

Spot on. Just because garbon can't imagine why people would want to do it doesn't others dream about it.

For the record, I wouldn't want to go.

Hamilcar

I do know a few people who would jump at the chance if they could afford the ticket.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2016, 04:43:07 PM

They sound like delusional people who deserve to be parted with their money. Unlike terrestrial colonization, they know there is literally nothing that is waiting them. The opportunity to leave in a little space box on a planet with a hostile atmosphere? You gotta be nuts to want that.

Note: I can totally understand if you can come back but that's not really doable in this short timespan is it?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Oh I just read the announcement and he is saying they'd come back. :blush: