News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Usually I'm all for not promoting the names of terrorists.
But we should make an exception in cases like this.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Solmyr

Apparently the police found a murdered female relative at the guy's home.

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on August 11, 2019, 01:05:26 AM
Usually I'm all for not promoting the names of terrorists.
But we should make an exception in cases like this.

It's not actually Legbiter.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

The guy who tacked the shooter (and got injured a bit in the process) is a 65 years old retired Pakistani air force officer. :D

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on August 11, 2019, 04:19:12 PM
The guy who tacked the shooter (and got injured a bit in the process) is a 65 years old retired Pakistani air force officer. :D

I'll bet he's not even gay, the poser.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Another mass shooting. This time in Philadelphia. Six cops shot.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

11B4V

Quote from: HVC on August 14, 2019, 06:29:54 PM

And some folks wonder why the cops are so heavily armed.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Zoupa

Quote from: 11B4V on August 14, 2019, 07:20:22 PM

If the cops had a bigger gun that the shooter, would it have mattered?

Valmy

Sounds like it is some sort of standoff and still ongoing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Zoupa on August 14, 2019, 07:48:25 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 14, 2019, 07:20:22 PM

If the cops had a bigger gun that the shooter, would it have mattered?

Maybe he meant to say armored.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

It's over:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49353728

Seems to have been a drugs raid that went wrong rather than terrorism.

Perhaps 100 rounds fired, but luckily no one seriously hurt.

No one left in hospital, other than a cop injured in a car crash on the way to the emergency.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on August 15, 2019, 07:41:24 AM
It's over:

No one left in hospital, other than a cop injured in a car crash on the way to the emergency.

Yeah I suspected it was probably a crime/bust gone wrong than a mass shooting. The guy had a big list of previous convictions, so a career criminal. Awesome news that everybody is ok.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on August 15, 2019, 07:41:24 AM
It's over:

Drug dealer going on a rampage? If only drug users would be armed, this sort of thing could be avoided. :(

Solmyr

So you've got actual public officials committing acts of terrorism now. :huh:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/08/15/video-ice-protesters-hit-truck-guard-rhode-island-wyatt/

QuoteThe protesters were sitting on the pavement to block staff from parking at a Rhode Island prison that works with Immigration and Customs Enforcement when a black pickup truck swerved toward them. The protesters shouted as the driver laid on the horn, and the truck briefly stopped.

And then, the driver hit the gas.

In a viral video captured by bystanders, the protesters screamed and jumped out of the way. Several were struck, according to organizers of the Wednesday night demonstration at the Wyatt Detention Facility in Central Falls, R.I. Some were treated at a hospital, though none were severely injured.

"It was terrifying because we didn't know what exactly his intention was," Amy Anthony, a spokesperson for Never Again Action, a Jewish activist group that planned the protest, told The Washington Post. "It certainly appeared he was trying to hit us."

The driver was Captain Thomas Woodworth, a correctional officer employed by the privately run facility, the Wyatt Detention Facity confirmed on Friday. Central Falls police working at the protest did not intervene, Anthony said, and the driver eventually walked into the prison after other guards pepper-sprayed the protesters.

"It's obvious that there was an assault that took place," Anthony said. "We're not sure what we can do now."

The Rhode Island attorney general's office and the Rhode Island State Police are investigating the incident, the attorney general's office said in a statement. Maj. Craig Horton of the Central Falls Police Department told The Post his agency was assisting.

"Once we have a full understanding of the relevant facts, we will determine how to proceed," the attorney general's office said in the statement. "Peaceful protest is a fundamental right of all Americans; it is unfortunate last night's situation unfolded as it did. We urge all to exercise restraint as our investigation proceeds."

Woodworth has been placed on administrative leave during the investigation, said Chris Hunter, a spokesman for the prison, in a statement. The detention facility is also conducting an internal review, he said.

The confrontation took place during a wave of protests around the country by Jewish groups against ICE, including a demonstration that shut down part of Manhattan's West Side Highway on Saturday, leading police to arrest nearly 100 protesters.

Anthony's group, which ties its activism to preventing future atrocities like the Holocaust, arrived at the prison around 7 p.m. on Wednesday. The Wyatt Detention Facility, which describes itself as a "quasi-public corporation," the Providence Journal reported, has contracts with ICE to house immigration detainees. The facility is operated by the Central Falls Detention Facility Corp. and is overseen by a board appointed by the mayor of Central Falls, located about seven miles north of Providence.

About 30 protesters first shut down the main entrance to the prison by linking arms and sitting on the ground, Anthony said. Around 9 p.m., they moved to block the driveways into the staff parking lot. About 45 minutes later, the black pickup showed up.

"The truck kind of swerved to sort of pick up speed," Anthony said. "It felt unreal to see this happening and to see that someone was actively driving into a group of people who, as I say, were peacefully sitting."

The group included children and one protester in a wheelchair, Anthony said.

Before the truck could get through to the parking lot, though, protesters gathered on the other side of the gate, shouting "Shame!" Moments later, other guards from the prison rushed across the street to surround the protesters and then fired pepper spray.

After the demonstrators fled the pepper spray, the driver parked in the lot and then walked into the prison, Anthony said.

Although Central Falls police were on the scene, they did not get involved, Anthony said, and officers later refused to take statements from protesters. Organizers are discussing what legal recourse they might have now.

Anthony said the incident hardened her group's resolve to continue protesting ICE and prisons that work with the federal agency.

"If this is the way this correctional officer is behaving in public when people are recording, it's not hard to imagine the behavior is much worse behind the walls in the facility where no one can see what is happening," she said.