And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

QuoteBelgium investigates deadly Liège shooting as terrorist incident

Latest update : 2018-05-29

A gunman killed two police officers and a passerby in the eastern Belgian city of Liège on Tuesday before he was shot dead by police, prosecutors have said, adding that the shooting is being investigated as a terrorist incident.
The shooting occurred around 10:30am local time (8:30 GMT) near a high school on a major artery in the city, which lies some 90 kilometres east of Brussels.

The local public prosecutor said the man attacked the two officers from behind with a knife, took one of their guns and shot them both dead, before killing a passenger in a car parked nearby.

Liège's mayor's office later confirmed that both of the police officers killed were women.

The assailant took refuge in a school where he was killed in a subsequent gunfight during which several other police officers were wounded, the prosecutor added.

Images on social media showed people scurrying for safety on the Boulevard d'Avroy with shots and sirens being heard in the background. One video showed two policemen in body armour moving into position.

Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel, expressing his condolences to the families of the victims, said it was too early to determine the assailant's motives.

Jan Jambon ((very haram wallah!), the interior minister, said the country's Federal Crisis Centre was monitoring the situation.

"Our thoughts are with the victims of this horrible act. We are in the process of establishing an overview of exactly what happened," Jambon wrote on Twitter.

Liège, an industrial city close to the German border in the French-speaking Wallonia region, was also the scene of a shooting in 2011, when a gunman killed four people and wounded over 100 before turning the gun on himself.

Belgium has been on high alert since a Brussels-based Islamic State (IS) group cell was involved in attacks on Paris in 2015 that killed 130 people and Brussels in 2016 in which 32 died.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP, REUTERS)

http://www.france24.com/en/20180529-police-officers-shot-dead-belgium-liege

2 female officers from what I have read elsewhere.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 29, 2018, 08:42:56 AM
QuoteBelgium investigates deadly Liège shooting as terrorist incident

Latest update : 2018-05-29

A gunman killed two police officers and a passerby in the eastern Belgian city of Liège on Tuesday before he was shot dead by police, prosecutors have said, adding that the shooting is being investigated as a terrorist incident.
The shooting occurred around 10:30am local time (8:30 GMT) near a high school on a major artery in the city, which lies some 90 kilometres east of Brussels.

The local public prosecutor said the man attacked the two officers from behind with a knife, took one of their guns and shot them both dead, before killing a passenger in a car parked nearby.

Liège's mayor's office later confirmed that both of the police officers killed were women.

The assailant took refuge in a school where he was killed in a subsequent gunfight during which several other police officers were wounded, the prosecutor added.

Images on social media showed people scurrying for safety on the Boulevard d'Avroy with shots and sirens being heard in the background. One video showed two policemen in body armour moving into position.

Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel, expressing his condolences to the families of the victims, said it was too early to determine the assailant's motives.

Jan Jambon ((very haram wallah!), the interior minister, said the country's Federal Crisis Centre was monitoring the situation.

"Our thoughts are with the victims of this horrible act. We are in the process of establishing an overview of exactly what happened," Jambon wrote on Twitter.

Liège, an industrial city close to the German border in the French-speaking Wallonia region, was also the scene of a shooting in 2011, when a gunman killed four people and wounded over 100 before turning the gun on himself.

Belgium has been on high alert since a Brussels-based Islamic State (IS) group cell was involved in attacks on Paris in 2015 that killed 130 people and Brussels in 2016 in which 32 died.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP, REUTERS)

http://www.france24.com/en/20180529-police-officers-shot-dead-belgium-liege

2 female officers from what I have read elsewhere.

Is this character likely to fit the now typical profile of drug user, petty criminal, 'radicalised' in prison and given new 'purpose' in life?

I note he probably got bonus points for killing young modern women who perform a useful social function.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

dps

Multiple people shot outside a restaurant in Toronto.  No info on the shooter(s).  Terrorism?

HVC

Happened like 2km away from me.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-44963700

QuoteBeijing blast: Small explosive device set off near US embassy

A man has set off a small explosive device close to the US embassy in Beijing, officials have confirmed.

Apart from the attacker, there were no injuries reported and officials say police responded immediately.

Video and images posted on social media show smoke rising from the vicinity of the embassy in the heart of the Chinese capital with crowds gathering.

State media outlet Global Times tweeted that local residents had heard a "thunder-like bang".

A statement from the US embassy in Beijing said a device, which they described as a bomb, had exploded at around 1300 local time (0500 GMT) at the south-east corner of the compound.

Beijing police called it a "suspected firecracker device" which caused a fire. The bomber injured his hand during the incident, but there was no danger to his life and he was immediately sent to hospital.

He was named by police as Jiang Moumou, from Inner Mongolia province.

The BBC's Stephen McDonell at the scene says that normal activities have since resumed at the embassy, with people still lining up for visa applications.

There were earlier reports that police had taken away a woman who had tried to set herself on fire near the embassy at 1100 local time, several hours before the reported blast.

It is unclear if the two incidents were linked.

Attacks on sites in the Chinese capital are rare. The most serious incident in recent years saw a car ploughing into a crowd at Tiananmen Square in 2013, killing five people including the attackers. China blamed the incident on Muslim Uighur separatists.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Have we now seen the demise of IS as an effective source of terrorism?

Razgovory

Something happened in Venezuela.  Not clear exactly what though.  Government claims it was an attempt on Maduro's life and explosions are reported.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on August 04, 2018, 08:27:02 PM
Something happened in Venezuela.  Not clear exactly what though.  Government claims it was an attempt on Maduro's life and explosions are reported.
small propane tank exploded from an appt building.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

New Mexico compound suspects were training children for school shootings, prosecutors say

I miss the times when guarded and isolated compounds in thinly populated areas in USA was a Christian extremist thing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on August 09, 2018, 09:05:48 AM
New Mexico compound suspects were training children for school shootings, prosecutors say

I miss the times when guarded and isolated compounds in thinly populated areas in USA was a Christian extremist thing.

Good work by the local police/sheriff to end it without bloodshed, capture the two or five conspirators and rescue the children.

One of the guys had a loaded AR15 and four pistols on him at time of arrest.

Tragedy that the estranged wife found out that her 4 year old had died in suspicious circumstance 

Syt

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45180120

QuoteWestminster car crash: Man arrested on suspicion of terror offences

A man has been arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences after a car crashed outside the Houses of Parliament.

The vehicle swerved into cyclists and pedestrians shortly after 07:30 BST, injuring three people.

The suspect, in his late 20s, is not believed to be known to MI5 or counter-terrorism police, and is not co-operating with officers.

A woman is being treated in hospital for serious but non life-threatening injuries.

Scotland Yard's head of counter terrorism Neil Basu said: "Given that this appears to be a deliberate act, the method and this being an iconic site, we are treating it as a terrorist incident."

He added there was "no intelligence at this time of further danger" to London or the UK as a whole.

No-one else was in the car and no weapons have been found.

The government held a meeting of its Cobra emergency committee and the prime minister has paid tribute to the "formidable courage" and professionalism of the emergency services who "ran towards a dangerous situation in order to protect the public".

Urging the public to remain vigilant but "carry on as normal", Theresa May added: "For the second time in as many years the home of our democracy, which is a potent symbol of our precious values of tolerance and freedom, has witnessed terrible scenes just yards from its door."

The suspect, who has not been formally identified, is being held at a south London police station and the vehicle is being searched.

BBC home affairs correspondent Daniel Sandford said sources have told him the suspect is from the Birmingham area.

A number of eyewitnesses have said the silver Ford Fiesta, which was travelling westbound, appeared to deliberately hit members of the public as it swerved into the opposite lane.

Footage released by the BBC shows the moment when the car drives over a pedestrian crossing before crashing into the security barriers. A police officer can be seen jumping over another barrier to get out of the way.

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Another terrorist attack in London...These animals are crazy and must be dealt with through toughness and strength!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Sounds like it all went down with minimal damage. Thank God.

And really Mr. President?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Jihadi has tried to assault a police station in a Barcelona suburb, with a knife. Hasn't ended well for him. No other casualties.

Three days ago we had the first anniversary of the Barcelona terror attack.