News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on August 19, 2016, 10:36:53 AM
Absolutely. You here all the time that terrorism is not about religion, but about politics, economics, colonialism, yadda, yadda, yadda. religion is just the cover for their actions, and they would be doing this regardless.

People even point out how they are terrible Muslims - you have certainly heard how the 9/11 terrorists visited strip clubs, for example, to "prove" that they were not actually motivated by religion.

It kind of reminds me a bit of all the people insisting that the Crusades were not about religion. Or were motivated by some sort of economic conditions. But to be fair that is just Marxist historians trying to smash round pegs into square holes. This is probably something different.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2016, 03:26:17 PM
It kind of reminds me a bit of all the people insisting that the Crusades were not about religion. Or were motivated by some sort of economic conditions. But to be fair that is just Marxist historians trying to smash round pegs into square holes. This is probably something different.

You don't think there were economic motivations involved in the Crusades?

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on August 19, 2016, 03:33:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2016, 03:26:17 PM

You don't think there were economic motivations involved in the Crusades?

Of course there were - but it was not economic motivations that made people decide that the place to go economically get involved was modern day Israel.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on August 19, 2016, 03:36:12 PM
Of course there were - but it was not economic motivations that made people decide that the place to go economically get involved was modern day Israel.

Fair enough.

I reckon that it was economic factors that led enough people to think that going overseas and conquering things was an attractive proposition, while religious factors determined the choice of targets and governed the organization and justification of the enterprise.

That's a vast generalization, of course.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on August 19, 2016, 03:44:45 PM

Fair enough.

I reckon that it was economic factors that led enough people to think that going overseas and conquering things was an attractive proposition, while religious factors determined the choice of targets and governed the organization and justification of the enterprise.

I disagree. For 99% of crusaders, religious fervour was the predominant motivation, imo. Now, you could argue about the leaders etc. but for the rank-and-file crusaders, it wasn't economic motivation.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on August 19, 2016, 10:36:53 AMAbsolutely. You here all the time that terrorism is not about religion, but about politics, economics, colonialism, yadda, yadda, yadda. religion is just the cover for their actions, and they would be doing this regardless.

People even point out how they are terrible Muslims - you have certainly heard how the 9/11 terrorists visited strip clubs, for example, to "prove" that they were not actually motivated by religion.
I don't think the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. I don't know why people are keen on focusing on the theological aspect alone because it seems to me as unhelpful as fighting the Cold War mainly through an understanding of Marxist-Leninist theory. It's important, but it's not that important and there are multiple other factors. It's not to say that the theological angle doesn't matter but that it's generally, in my view, not sufficient without other aspects.

I think the point about homegrown terrorists and the kids going to Syria not being good Muslims is first of all true on the evidence and secondly important. If what really matters is religiousity then that points to a very different approach to intelligence and to counter-radicalisation for example. It would probably be one that would be focused on the Mosque and traditional community structures, which was the approach after 9/11. But the profile of European youths committing terrorism or going to Syria isn't particularly religious. The striking commonality is petty delinquency and alienation which I think requires a different intelligence and counter-radicalisation approach, I'd suggest it's one that's got far more in common with work against gangs than a religion based approach.

I think that is a change since the emergence of ISIS. It seems they're appealing to a different sort of person than al-Qaeda inspired terrorism did (only speaking about in the West). Between 9/11 and ISIS the people who were inspired by al-Qaeda normally did exhibit a sudden and intense interest in Islam and would cut themselves off from people they perceived as apostates.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Fair enough.

There were significant economic factors involved with the Crusades, yes, but the First Crusade in particular saw the Crusaders involved mortgage their lands, sell as much property as they could, and take massive loans so that they could go on Crusade...and not settle in the lands that were conquered.  Primarily, the economic factors involved in having the Crusades get off the ground was the ready access to credit and resources from stored-up wealth, not the desire to hit it rich in the Holy Land by conquering an area that was not particularly known for its wealth.

The myth that Crusaders were going off in search of riches is mostly an invention of Marxist interpretations of the events, as Valmy noted, and doesn't stand up under scrutiny.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on August 19, 2016, 03:50:25 PM

Fair enough.

I disagree. For 99% of crusaders, religious fervour was the predominant motivation, imo. Now, you could argue about the leaders etc. but for the rank-and-file crusaders, it wasn't economic motivation.
I'm not sure. Hasn't there been research that showed a huge proportion of the crusading knights were younger sons - ie. no inheritance? I think religion was a part of it but it's pretty analogous to the colonisation of the new world.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Habbaku on August 19, 2016, 03:53:15 PM

Fair enough.

There were significant economic factors involved with the Crusades, yes, but the First Crusade in particular saw the Crusaders involved mortgage their lands, sell as much property as they could, and take massive loans so that they could go on Crusade...and not settle in the lands that were conquered.  Primarily, the economic factors involved in having the Crusades get off the ground was the ready access to credit and resources from stored-up wealth, not the desire to hit it rich in the Holy Land by conquering an area that was not particularly known for its wealth.

The myth that Crusaders were going off in search of riches is mostly an invention of Marxist interpretations of the events, as Valmy noted, as doesn't stand up under scrutiny.

Yeah, the problem with Marxism is that it cannot fathom a motivation other than economical. That's why Marxists so completely misunderstood religion.

garbon

Did the Crusades help people's finances? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 19, 2016, 03:54:19 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 19, 2016, 03:50:25 PM

Fair enough.

I'm not sure. Hasn't there been research that showed a huge proportion of the crusading knights were younger sons - ie. no inheritance? I think religion was a part of it but it's pretty analogous to the colonisation of the new world.

Saying that poorer people are more prone to religious fervour is not the same as saying that religious fervour is economically motivated.

Martinus

By the way: crusades hijack! Languish's first!  :lol:

Sheilbh

But it's not about poverty. Younger sons had an economic interest in going and conquering new lands - the same motivation in crusades in Germany or the Norman invasion of England or Sicily. In addition very often they had sincerely held religious motivations and possibly socially too (the effect of Romances and the idea of chivalry).
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2016, 03:55:09 PM
Did the Crusades help people's finances? :unsure:

Some, certainly, but it was mostly a rather large drain on everyone involved.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 19, 2016, 04:00:33 PM
But it's not about poverty. Younger sons had an economic interest in going and conquering new lands - the same motivation in crusades in Germany or the Norman invasion of England or Sicily. In addition very often they had sincerely held religious motivations and possibly socially too (the effect of Romances and the idea of chivalry).

If that were true, why then did these supposed second sons not settle in the lands that they supposedly conquered for economic interests?  The overwhelming majority of the first wave of Crusaders returned home after Jerusalem was taken and the political situation settled in the aftermath.

-J. R. R. Tolkien