Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on June 21, 2017, 09:21:56 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 21, 2017, 07:52:56 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 20, 2017, 04:24:10 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 20, 2017, 09:01:55 AM
On a watch list but still with a gun permit. :frusty:
Gun permit actually renewed in 2017.  :frusty:
What we have here is a failure to communicate, French civil servant-style.

Are individuals on the watch list informed that they are on the watch list?

Nope, at least they are not supposed to be.
This is the argument some people used to explain why his gun permit was renewed. I am still not convinced by its pertinence though.

PS: of course, if they are prosecuted later, the watchlist presence will be used by the prosecution during the trial but that's another matter.

Depends on which is more important for public security:

1. Taking away his legal gun permit; or

2. Risk informing him that he's being 'watched' (since refusal to make what would otherwise be a routine renewal would, to a person of ordinary intelligence, suggest that the authorities were on to him).

I myself don't know which is more important, but I can see a potential argument there.

Also depends on exactly why he was on a watch list.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: garbon on June 22, 2017, 09:45:44 AM

Also depends on exactly why he was on a watch list.

He was there for islamist radical potential.
Reported in 2013 by Interpol on behalf by Tunisia for the first time. Then put on the islamist watchlist in 2015 for his links with salafists and travels to Syria. Not enough elements to open an investigation on him though.
After being convoked by French counter-terrorism services for the third time (first two he did not attend) he told he would surrender and instead crashed into a gendarmerie van.
One hypothesis is he rushed his attack since he knew he was under watch.

French link
http://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/societe/fait-divers/champs-elysees-se-sachant-surveille-adam-djaziri-a-t-il-precipite-son-attaque_1920021.html

mongers

So when the IS is 'defeated' in Iraq and Syria and some of its nutter supporters carry out a few retaliatory terrorist outrages in the West, can 'we' not flip out over the consequences and not give them the "oxygen of publicity" that they crave?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Crazy_Ivan80

knife-attack in Hamburg: one fatality, several wounded. Attacked caught. Unknown if it's terror coming from the regular suppliers.

derspiess

He apparently yelled "Aloha Snackbar" as he attacked.  So probably Amish.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Knife attacks eh? And people say gun control doesn't keep guns out of the hands of terrorists.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2017, 01:38:03 PM
Knife attacks eh? And people say gun control doesn't keep guns out of the hands of terrorists.

In Europe they hold the knife in the right hand, making knife attacks more danegerous than in the US.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

It was a guy who was refused asylum. How can you decline a person to stay in your country and then let him roam freely in it? Makes no sense.

Also, I wonder if he is some kind of criminal or something in his home country - maybe it just made sense to go to prison in Germany than there.

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on July 29, 2017, 11:22:03 AM
It was a guy who was refused asylum. How can you decline a person to stay in your country and then let him roam freely in it? Makes no sense.
How would you handle a declined asylum request where deportation is not possible because the person has no papers?

Crazy_Ivan80

Also, I wonder if he is some kind of criminal or something in his home country - maybe it just made sense to go to prison in Germany than there.

or maybe he actually believed he had to kill for his god?

LaCroix

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Zanza on July 29, 2017, 11:44:51 AM
How would you handle a declined asylum request where deportation is not possible because the person has no papers?

Something like how Lao Che deported Indian Jones from China.