Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on October 14, 2021, 10:03:16 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança

L'Immonde reports that the perpetrator was a Danish citizen

A Danish comedy called "Wildman" about a Danish citizen settling in the Norwegian woods hunting with bow and arrow has just been postponed indefinitely. :lol:
So the Danish show might still go ahead, as long as it says in the forest and the hunter goes not into a "radicalization" process i guess.  :P

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 14, 2021, 05:26:33 AM

convert to the ™religion of eternal peace™.

The convert part seems less important as it looks like he's just a nutter who should've been helped or detained earlier.

It might seem less important for you, but the perpetrator had a very recent past of "radicalisation" and was under surveillance for it as late as 2020. No report or tracking on him in 2021.
Mentioned in the article.

Quote« Il y a eu des craintes liées à une radicalisation précédemment », a dit Ole Bredrup Saeverud, un responsable de la police norvégienne, lors d'un point de presse, jeudi. Ces craintes, qui ont donné lieu à un suivi, remontent à 2020 et avant, a-t-il précisé. « Nous n'avions pas eu de signalement sur lui en 2021, mais avant », a-t-il détaillé.

The above mentioned article has also been updated 30 minutes or so ago and the terrorist act is deemed more likely by the Norwegian Police Security Agency (PST).

Josquius

My money was on white far right nonsense at first.
But then the two are just different sides of the same coin. In this case it seems particularly so. Sad and lonely individual pulled into nuttiness
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 14, 2021, 10:44:32 AM
It might seem less important for you, but the perpetrator had a very recent past of "radicalisation" and was under surveillance for it as late as 2020. No report or tracking on him in 2021.
Which is not related to his religion.  Unless he got removed from the watchlist because of his religion, for fear of accusations of racial profiling or other such nonsense.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2021, 12:38:45 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 14, 2021, 10:44:32 AM
Which is not related to his religion.  Unless he got removed from the watchlist because of his religion, for fear of accusations of racial profiling or other such nonsense.

It's islamist/islamic radicalisation obviously, not vegan radicalisation.
Radicalisation, without a reference to islamism, is a euphemism often used by l'Immonde and its ilk.
Remember, l'Immonde has a somewhat left bias these days.  :P

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 14, 2021, 01:01:21 PM
Radicalisation, without a reference to islamism, is a euphemism often used by l'Immonde and its ilk.

The guys from January 6th weren't muslims.  And I would apply the "radical" epiteth to their political stance.

"These days"?   :hmm:

More like for the last 20 years or so. :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2021, 01:42:20 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 14, 2021, 01:01:21 PM

The guys from January 6th weren't muslims.  And I would apply the "radical" epiteth to their political stance.

For some reason, L'immonde does not feel the need to use euphemisms in that very North American situation, hardly comparable to European conditions.

"These days"?   :hmm:

More like for the last 20 years or so. :P

I'm old enough to remember when Le Monde was a reference paper, 20 years or so ago, more or less centrist, sometimes centre-left, sometimes centre-right; so yes, these days.  :P

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2021, 12:38:45 PM

The guy has Danish and Norwegian parents, grew up in Norway, has a Norwegian name, and is white.

He has a history of crime (drugs, theft), has threatened a number of people (his parents, his friends), and one of his friends who apparently tried to warn the police that he was becoming increasingly unhinged and dangerous is on record as saying (my translation) "he is mentally sick, this has nothing to do with Islam."

Folks can draw there own conclusions, of course, but that's what's being reported as facts by Norwegian and Danish media.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 14, 2021, 02:26:43 PM
Folks can draw there own conclusions, of course, but that's what's being reported as facts by Norwegian and Danish media.
It could be a conspiracy by Norwegian and Danish media to hide the truth.  :P

Yeah, I'm guessing the bow attack does not have much to do with radical Islam, not gruesome enough.

Jacob

The Norwegian police is treating "mental illness" as the most likely motive in their investigation, though they are not excluding other possibilities.

Sheilbh

This is still ongoing I think - negotiators in Rutland Avenue, residents being told they can't go into their homes. So still not much clarity on what's happening 10.59am on Remembrance Sunday seems deliberate but not sure about any possible link between that and Liverpool Women's Hospital - all a bit weird :hmm:
QuoteLiverpool Women's hospital: three terror arrests after man killed in taxi explosion
Men detained under Terrorism Act after incident outside hospital that also injured taxi driver
Vikram Dodd and Helen Pidd
Sun 14 Nov 2021 20.49 GMT

Three men have been arrested under terror legislation after a passenger was killed when the taxi he was in exploded outside Liverpool Women's hospital.

The men – aged 29, 26 and 21 – were detained in the Kensington area of the city and arrested under the Terrorism Act, police said.

Investigators believe it is unlikely that the explosion shortly before 11am on Sunday was caused by a fault with the vehicle. The flames spread rapidly, engulfing the taxi in a fireball.

The cab driver, who managed to escape before the flames spread, has not been arrested. Police said he is in hospital in a stable condition.

The explosion happened outside the main entrance to the hospital, and police are trying to determine if the explosion was deliberate and whether there is significance in the location.

They have been working on establishing the identity of the deceased man, and any associations that might shed light on the explosion.

The investigation is being led by counter-terrorism police who are being assisted by MI5, the security service, which has the lead role in developing intelligence to counter terrorism.

In a statement, counter-terrorism police north-west said: "We are leading the investigation with support from Merseyside police, and are keeping an open mind as to what has caused the explosion. We are working at a rapid pace to try and establish the circumstances behind this and will update in due course."

Liverpool's mayor, Joanne Anderson, described the incident as "unsettling and upsetting" as she thanked the emergency services for their swift response.

Police were called at 10.59am on Sunday morning to reports of a car explosion outside the city centre hospital. Photographs of a burning car quickly circulated on social media, as well as reports that the bomb squad was in attendance, alongside police, fire crews and the ambulance service.

Boris Johnson said: "My thoughts are with all those affected by the awful incident in Liverpool today. I want to thank the emergency services for their quick response and professionalism, and the police for their ongoing work on the investigation."

It is understood the three arrests took place around Boaler Street in the Kensington area. PA news agency reported locals saying armed officers swooped on a terraced house in Sutcliffe Street, off Boaler Street, in the afternoon and arrested one suspect. Sections of Boaler Street and Sutcliffe Street remained cordoned off, with a heavy police presence at the scene as inquiries continue.

A similar police scene was in place at Rutland Avenue in Sefton Park, with counter-terror officers sighted in the neighbourhood. Locals said police arrived from about 1pm as officers went on to guard a terraced property as the immediate surrounding area was cordoned off.

Liverpool Women's hospital said visiting access had been restricted "until further notice" and patients had been diverted to other hospitals "where possible".

In a statement, the hospital said: "We are reviewing our patient activity for the next 24-48 hours and patients should wait to be contacted for updates about any planned appointments or other attendance at the hospital.

"Our staff are being permitted to leave and enter the hospital under the supervision of Merseyside police. We would like to say thank you for the cooperation and support of our patients, visitors and staff who have been impacted by this incident, in particular those members of staff who were at the scene at the time of the incident."

Phil Garrigan, the chief fire officer of Merseyside fire and rescue service, said the car fire was "fully developed" when two appliances arrived shortly after 11am. He told reporters at the scene: "The operational crews extinguished the fire rapidly but, as has been reiterated by the police chief constable, there was one fatality. Another individual had left the vehicle prior to the fire developing to the extent that it did. Our thoughts are with them and the families of those involved."

The home secretary, Priti Patel, tweeted: "I am being kept regularly updated on the awful incident at Liverpool Women's hospital. Our police and emergency services are working hard to establish what happened and it is right they are given the time and space to do so."

Cordons remained in place on Sunday evening, alongside some road closures.

The UK terrorism threat level remains at "substantial", meaning an attack is likely.

In October, the Conservative MP Sir David Amess was killed in an alleged terrorist attack while holding his constituency surgery in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex. A man has been charged with his murder and is due to stand trial next March.

Counter-terrorism officials say most plots they thwart are motivated by a violent extremist Islamist ideology, with the next category being plots motivated by far-right ideology.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 15, 2021, 03:15:57 AM
Daily mail has details, but may be jumping the gun :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10200811/Bomb-squad-called-hospital-sounds-explosion-heard-outside-entrance.html
This looks very much like a mental health issue or, if a form of ideological/reliigious extremism, I'd guess that it's in the "mixed or unstable" category.

He had literally been sectioned for waving a knife around on a bridge in Liverpool a couple of years ago and some people who knew him have said that, in hindsight, his mental health was a concern. One journalist said the Home Office have told them that this case is "not clear cut" so I think there may be a lot of potential motives and thoughts and issues with this man. But it definitely doesn't feel like straightforward "terrorism" (which is always the way with lone wofl attacks but especially here).
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

He's brown.
Clearly it's a fully funded well organised ISIS plot that necessitates a massive crack down on muslims.
Him being mentally ill can in no way be a cause.

I do wonder why he targeted a hospital. It does abortions or he has a incel thing going on against women or to cause maximum outrage and backlash... ?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 16, 2021, 06:02:20 PM
I do wonder why he targeted a hospital. It does abortions or he has a incel thing going on against women or to cause maximum outrage and backlash... ?
Yeah I think the initial suspicion was that he was aiming to target the Anglican Cathedral which is down the road and part of Remembrance Day services - which makes sense given the bomb went off at 10.59am. But apparently it looks like the hospital was the target all along.

My guess on motivation for the target is the same as the rest I imagine it was a combination of some mixed extreme ideoogies and something to do with his mental health.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Shootings have stopped being newsworthy here.  Six people injured in Aurora CO the other day and it didn't rate.