News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Islamists it seems. Huh. The smart money is usually on the fash these days.

Are cameras with facial recognition technology a thing? I thought it was just a case of having decent resolution footage and then applying unconnected facial recognition software.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Liep on December 11, 2019, 11:33:55 AM
But none of this is connected of course so I'm not saying that something is wrong in this place. :tinfoil:

Besides the rotten salmon?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/16/us/politics/fbi-arrest-virginia-gun-rally.html

QuoteF.B.I. Arrests Suspected Members of Neo-Nazi Group Before Virginia Gun Rally

The three men had obtained guns and discussed traveling to Virginia for protests against new gun control measures, officials said.

WASHINGTON — The F.B.I. has arrested three men suspected of being members of a neo-Nazi hate group, including a former reservist in the Canadian Army, who had weapons and discussed traveling to a pro-gun rally next week in Richmond, Va., in anticipation of a possible race war.

The men were taken into custody on Thursday morning as part of a long-running investigation into the group, known as The Base. The men were charged with various federal crimes in Maryland, according to the Justice Department. They were scheduled to appear in federal court before a judge on Thursday afternoon.

One of the men, Patrik Jordan Mathews, 27, a main recruiter for the group, entered the United States illegally from Canada :o , according to the officials. He was arrested along with Brian M. Lemley Jr., 33, and William G. Bilbrough IV, 19. Mr. Mathews was trained as a combat engineer and considered an expert in explosives. He was dismissed from the Canadian Army after his ties to white supremacists surfaced. Mr. Lemley previously served as a cavalry soldier in the United States Army.

The Base has become a growing concern for the F.B.I. as it has worked to recruit more people to its violent cause. The Base is an "accelerationist group that encourages the onset on anarchy," according to the Counter Extremism Project, a group that tracks far-right extremists. Experts following the group say its founder, an American, appears to be living in Russia.

Former law enforcement officials say The Base, along with another white supremacist group known as Atomwaffen, have become priorities for the F.B.I. Several members of the group have recently been arrested. In November, the F.B.I. arrested a young man in New Jersey, who was suspected of recruiting on behalf of The Base and of advocating violence, including the killing of black people with a machete.

On Wednesday, Gov. Ralph Northam of Virginia declared a state of emergency and announced a temporary ban on weapons on the grounds of the State Capitol ahead of the rally. Thousands of protesters are expected to converge in Richmond on Monday to protest proposed restrictions on gun purchases by the Virginia Legislature.

The governor said on Twitter that the authorities had identified credible "threats of violence," including from out-of-state militia groups and hate groups that planned disruptions. He said the authorities had also found extremist rhetoric online similar to what had been seen in 2017 before the Charlottesville rally, when white nationalists and counterprotesters clashed in a deadly fight over the removal of Confederate monuments.

Protesters were expected to descend on the State Capitol on Monday, which is a federal holiday for Martin Luther King's Birthday.

At a public event on Wednesday at George Washington University, Thomas E. Brzozowski, a top lawyer in the  counterterrorism section of the Justice Department, said he was aware of the concerns surrounding the Richmond rally. That was an indication that the highest levels of the Justice Department were taking the situation in Richmond very seriously.

Mr. Lemley and Mr. Bilbrough were charged with transporting and harboring aliens and along with conspiracy. Prosecutors also charged Mr. Lemley and Mr. Mathews with transporting a firearm and ammunition with the intent of committing a felony. The complaint also charges Mr. Mathews with being an alien in possession of a firearm and ammunition.

The case shows how difficult it is for the F.B.I. and prosecutors to charge domestic terrorism suspects because First and Second Amendment concerns have limited the scope of what law enforcement can do. The current domestic terrorism statute does not carry any criminal penalties.

Investigators said that Mr. Mathews illegally crossed into the United States from Canada near the Minnesota border on Aug. 19, 2019. The authorities said that Mr. Lemley and Mr. Bilbrough picked up Mr. Mathews in Michigan. The men returned to Maryland later that same month.

Mr. Mathews is also believed to have traveled to Georgia, where he trained with other members of The Base.

According to the authorities, Mr. Lemley and Mr. Mathews rented an apartment in Delaware, where the F.B.I. ultimately arrested them. Prosecutors said the pair made a functioning assault rifle. They also bought more than 1,500 rounds of rifle ammunition, fired the rifle at a Maryland gun range and acquired vests to hold body armor.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

It's not hard to enter the USA illegally from Canada, sometimes you do it by mistakes.

https://goo.gl/maps/7mUmScPYhtzD2HEg7
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Oexmelin

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 16, 2020, 02:30:13 PM
It's not hard to enter the USA illegally from Canada, sometimes you do it by mistakes.

https://goo.gl/maps/7mUmScPYhtzD2HEg7

In this case it was deliberate. Remember, this guy fled as he was being investigated: https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/5856501/patrik-mathews-truck-racist-materials/amp/
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

This can't be real, there's no snarky "religion of peace" posts.  Must be a deep state thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Someone stabbed three people on Streatham High Road, SE London, got himself shot dead by the police.

Oddly I've stayed in a flat there directly overlooking the attack scene.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Just heard on NPR that the perp was one day out of gaol.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Well cults ruin lives in my country all the time. Many flavors of Islam have that kind of thing going on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2020, 01:36:44 PM
Well cults ruin lives in my country all the time. Many flavors of Islam have that kind of thing going on.

The owner of the Chiefs proclaimed that his team won the Superbowl because God blessed his family.  The players may also have had something to do with it but that seemed to be a secondary factor in the mind of the owner.  Really it was all about him and his family.

Not commented on was what they had done for the last 50 years to be so disfavoured by God.

Grey Fox

All Sports Franchises owners thinks it's because of them that their team won.

Even Lord (George) Cope thought the Raptors won because of him.

Dude!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.