News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Police arrested the author of a terror attack (stabbing) in Jerash earlier this week:
Link

My younger cousin just visited the site, a day earlier...  Damn, I knew I had a bad feeling about her going there.   :glare:   Should have gone with her, maybe I'd had a few less sleepless night.  Egypt and Jordan look beautiful, Petra and Jerash look astounding.  Despite the crazy maniacs.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

There was a terrorist knife attack in London this afternoon, on and about London bridge again, two people were killed, the police shot the perpetrator dead. 

Only just found out about this, as have been avoiding the election news.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Yeah. He was also wearing a hoax suicide vest.

And was disarmed by a crowd of regular people before the police arrived. Including one guy who had a five foot narwhal tusk and someone who hoses him with a fire extinguisher.

Edit: Also - this is from the Mail so may not be true - but apparently this started at a Cambridge university conference on rehabilitation. The attacker was, apparently, on day release and one of the people who stopped him is a released murderer :huh:

Edit: And apparently the attacker on day release was actually convicted of terrorism :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Huh. I completely escaped hearing about this until now :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

The perpetrator was a convicted terrorist out of prison on licence. Originally he, and two others, were given indeterminate sentnces but these were reduced on appeal https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22168422 .

There will have to be some tough questions asked about this case. At first glance sending people close to the brink of becoming active terrorists to jail just for a few years seems a foolish compromise to me.

Admiral Yi

The world's first recividist jihadist maybe.

Josquius

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 30, 2019, 02:03:36 AM
The perpetrator was a convicted terrorist out of prison on licence. Originally he, and two others, were given indeterminate sentnces but these were reduced on appeal https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22168422 .

There will have to be some tough questions asked about this case. At first glance sending people close to the brink of becoming active terrorists to jail just for a few years seems a foolish compromise to me.

He was stopped by a Polish chef with a narwhal tusk, and a convicted murderer on day release with a fire extinguisher.

Which I'm sure is making the Daily Mail readers' heads explode.

What is odd about this is that the crook's name is being splashed about all over the place...In recent terrorist attacks it seemed the press had learned that this was a dumb thing to do and kept it all under wraps. Can't help but suspect they're breaking this rule to help fan the flames of xenophobia and give Johnson a hand.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

If he was bested by a narwhal tusk why did the police shoot him?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on November 30, 2019, 09:38:25 AM
If he was bested by a narwhal tusk why did the police shoot him?
Fake suicide vest I think.

But will be investigated anyway.

QuoteWhat is odd about this is that the crook's name is being splashed about all over the place...In recent terrorist attacks it seemed the press had learned that this was a dumb thing to do and kept it all under wraps. Can't help but suspect they're breaking this rule to help fan the flames of xenophobia and give Johnson a hand.
I think it's because he's already been convicted of terrorism and was on day release.

I don't think the press have learned (and I don't know if it has any impact on terrorism - it definitely does on mass shootings). I think that normally they have to work out who the person is and get information about them. Because this guy already has a conviction it's a bit easier.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2019, 11:22:02 PMIncluding one guy who had a five foot narwhal tusk...

Damn. I'll remember to bring mine with me next time I'm in London.  :hmm: :lol:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

dps

So, think the shooting at Pensacola Naval Airbase was terrorism?  I somewhat doubt it, but I guess we'll find out.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Pearl was a bubblehead  who's cheese slipped off his cracker.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Liep

20 people arrested in Denmark today. They're suspected to have been planning a terror attack and have attempted to build a bomb and procure weapons.

That's a high number and it comes just days after the minister of justice made a compassionated plea for more cameras with facial recognition technology with this logic "safety = freedom, surveillance = safety therefor surveillance = freedom). Also yesterday it was revealed that China pressured the Faroe Islands to choose Huawei to deploy 5G or else China would cancel the trade deal and stop buying salmon.

But none of this is connected of course so I'm not saying that something is wrong in this place. :tinfoil:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Don't worry. China will keep you safe.