News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Solmyr on August 16, 2019, 01:34:53 AM
The driver was Captain Thomas Woodworth, a correctional officer employed by the privately run facility, the Wyatt Detention Facity confirmed on Friday. Central Falls police working at the protest did not intervene, Anthony said, and the driver eventually walked into the prison after other guards pepper-sprayed the protesters.

Not a public official...but then that is a whole problem in itself.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

A suspicious backpack was just discovered outside of the hotel I'm staying at.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2019, 10:22:24 AM
A suspicious backpack was just discovered outside of the hotel I'm staying at.

Never "your" dildo.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

:lol:

Appears they've since cleared all the cordoning.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

https://www.france24.com/en/20190831-one-dead-several-wounded-knife-attack-near-lyon

QuoteA 19-year-old man was killed and another nine wounded, three seriously, on Saturday in a knife attack near the French city of Lyon, a regional official and emergency services said.

Two men, one armed with a knife and the other with a skewer, carried out the attack in Villeurbanne, a Lyon suburb, in southeastern France, the official said, without giving further details on the motive for the stabbing.

One of the men had been arrested by police but the second was on the run. The attack took place close to a metro station.

An AFP journalist at the scene witnessed a body being taken away in an ambulance and traces of blood on the ground.

The national anti-terrorism prosecutor's office had been informed but had not taken charge of the case at this stage.

A local report indicates only one assaillant. One witness said religion was involved and heard the perpetrator talking,, guess which? "They do not read al-Quran".

https://www.leprogres.fr/rhone-69-edition-villeurbanne-et-caluire/2019/08/31/villeurbanne-six-blesses-lors-d-une-agression-au-couteau-a-la-station-laurent-bonnevay

Quote« ILS NE LISENT PAS LE CORAN »

Selon un témoin direct de l'agression entendu par Le Progrès, le suspect aurait fait part d'une allusion religieuse au moment des faits : « Ils ne lisent pas le Coran ».

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_dfBAGiZS8

US soldier arrested in Kansas for disseminating bomb making information and discussing targeting "a major news network" and Beto O'Rourke on the interwebs.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 31, 2019, 01:35:54 PM
https://www.france24.com/en/20190831-one-dead-several-wounded-knife-attack-near-lyon

QuoteA 19-year-old man was killed and another nine wounded, three seriously, on Saturday in a knife attack near the French city of Lyon, a regional official and emergency services said.

Two men, one armed with a knife and the other with a skewer, carried out the attack in Villeurbanne, a Lyon suburb, in southeastern France, the official said, without giving further details on the motive for the stabbing.

One of the men had been arrested by police but the second was on the run. The attack took place close to a metro station.

An AFP journalist at the scene witnessed a body being taken away in an ambulance and traces of blood on the ground.

The national anti-terrorism prosecutor's office had been informed but had not taken charge of the case at this stage.

A local report indicates only one assaillant. One witness said religion was involved and heard the perpetrator talking,, guess which? "They do not read al-Quran".

https://www.leprogres.fr/rhone-69-edition-villeurbanne-et-caluire/2019/08/31/villeurbanne-six-blesses-lors-d-une-agression-au-couteau-a-la-station-laurent-bonnevay

Quote« ILS NE LISENT PAS LE CORAN »

Selon un témoin direct de l'agression entendu par Le Progrès, le suspect aurait fait part d'une allusion religieuse au moment des faits : « Ils ne lisent pas le Coran ».
what about the failed mosque attack, what did the perp say? ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on September 24, 2019, 12:18:03 AM

The perp is a muslim of North African origin, so I am afraid most media deemed the story not so interesting.  :P

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 26, 2019, 07:11:10 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 24, 2019, 12:18:03 AM

The perp is a muslim of North African origin, so I am afraid most media deemed the story not so interesting.  :P
More likely, it's a failed attack, and it does not attract a lot of viewers ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Knife attack at Paris police headquarters leaving 4 dead. :(

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2019, 08:57:13 AM

Perpetrator converted to Islam, according to police sources quoted by le Figaro.

Malthus

Yom Kippur attack in Germany:

https://www.ibtimes.com/two-dead-german-synagogue-attack-yom-kippur-2842462

Apparently, one suspect in custody, two are dead.

According to reports, the attacker or attackers tried to break into a synagogue full of people (it's Yom Kippur), failed to get inside, and then shot someone in the street and another person in a kebab restaurant.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zanza

Terrible that this happens in my country again.  :(
The perpetrator is a German neonazi. He filmed the whole time and wrote a manifesto online, so there is ample evidence. Looks similar to the Christchurch attack in style.

https://m.dw.com/en/police-investigate-anti-semitism-links-in-halle-shootings/a-50764327
QuoteTwo people have been killed and two injured after an attack on a synagogue in the eastern city of Halle. Authorities believe the attack was motivated by anti-Semitism.

An attack on a synagogue in the eastern German city of Halle in the state of Saxony-Anhalt sent shockwaves across country on Wednesday. Authorities have arrested a 27-year-old German, Stephan B. and have indicated that they believe he acted alone.

Police say the man had no previous arrests, but his targets suggest that he had anti-Semitic and xenophobic beliefs. German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer said that anti-Semitism was certainly one of the shooter's motives.

Shooting began at synagogue and ended at kebab shop

The shooting occurred shortly after 11 a.m., when the perpetrator attempted to enter the synagogue but was unable to gain entrance. He then shot and killed a woman near the entrance to the adjacent Jewish cemetery.

The assailant then got back into his car and drove to a nearby kebab shop where he killed another victim. Police later said that they had found an improvised explosive device near the synagogue.

Two further people were injured during the rampage in Halle. Local authorities say that the two, a man and a woman, were treated for gunshot wounds. They are no longer at risk of death according to hospital officials.

Dressed in combat gear, the attacker was also wearing a helmet with a camera, which he used to livestream the attack on Amazon's streaming platform Twitch. During the video, which was quickly removed, the assailant ranted that the Holocaust had never happened as well as shouting xenophobic and misogynistic statements.

The suspect was apprehended by city police after he crashed his car.

Technical failures saved lives
The shooter used multiple weapons, including homemade bombs and what appears to be a homemade rifle. He experienced repeated technical failures during the attack, which ultimately saved lives.

A man who stopped his vehicle to check on the woman shot outside the synagogue was able to get away unharmed when the shooter's weapon failed to fire.

It jammed again after he began firing at the kebap shop. Several people were able to flee.

The shooter was unable to break through the secured door of the synagogue using fire power and witnesses report that one homemade bomb also failed to explode.

In the livestream of the attack, the assailant apologizes to the viewers repeatedly for his failure to kill.

Expressions of shock and solidarity
Politicians and religious leaders condemned the attack, which occurred on the Jewish holy day of Yom Kippur, and expressed their solidarity with Germany's Jewish community.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who attended a vigil Wednesday evening at a synagogue in the capital Berlin, conveyed her "deepest condolences." Steffen Seibert, Merkel's spokesman, wrote on Twitter: "Our solidarity is with Germany's Jews on this Yom Kippur. Our thanks go out to security forces still deployed."

Foreign Minister Heiko Maas also addressed the attack on Twitter, writing: "That on Yom Kippur a synagogue was shot at touches all our hearts. We must all act against anti-Semitism in our country."

Religious leaders react
Josef Schuster, president of the Central Council of Jews in Germany said, "The brutality of the attack surpasses everything we have seen in recent years, and is deeply shocking to all Jews in Germany."

Schuster was also critical of police, however, saying, "It is scandalous that police were not protecting the synagogue in Halle on a holiday like Yom Kippur." Synagogues in many German cities receive special police protection, and Yom Kippur, the feast of atonement, is the highest holy day in the Jewish calendar.

Leaders of Germany's Catholic and Protestant churches also expressed condolences for "our Jewish brothers and sisters," calling on people of faith to stand up against the scourge of anti-Semitism.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 03, 2019, 12:38:19 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2019, 08:57:13 AM

Perpetrator converted to Islam, according to police sources quoted by le Figaro.

More details. The conversion to islam and subsequent islamist radicalisation is actually older, more like 10 years or so. The perpetrator was known to refuse to greet women based on his sex-segregating islamist creed.

https://www.france24.com/en/20191007-france-paris-knife-attacker-harpon-police-prefecture-report-signs-radicalisation-2015

QuoteThe remarks, as well as changes colleagues observed in Harpon's behaviour towards women, were the subject of an informal discussion in July 2015 between two police officer colleagues and a police major charged with fielding reports on radicalisation. The major was told about the fact that Harpon had married a Muslim woman, had converted to Islam, and had stopped shaking hands with or embracing women. But the officers declined to file a formal report.
Despite being deaf he still managed to get a pretty good clerical position in IT at the Police Headquarters. Either some really baffling Code of Silence among clerk "cops" since early signs were ignored or the information failed to be transmitted to avoid causing trouble.  :hmm:

Interior minister was ridiculous again by claiming early on there was no islamist motive but it is not the first time and will likely happen again.