News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Send Neil deGrasse Tyson a gift basket full of radar detectors, bourbon, and cell phones.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 08, 2019, 07:23:10 PM
Send Neil deGrasse Tyson a gift basket full of radar detectors, bourbon, and cell phones.

:unsure:

DGuller

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

I don't get Minskys comment either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

It was referencing baskets with assault rifles that NRA members were thoughtful enough to send.

Liep

Quote from: DGuller on August 09, 2019, 11:44:22 AM
It was referencing baskets with assault rifles that NRA members were thoughtful enough to send.

Wasn't that from a The Onion article?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on August 09, 2019, 02:47:23 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 09, 2019, 11:44:22 AM

Wasn't that from a The Onion article?

A German sort-of-equivalent, Der Postillon
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Solmyr

Mosque shooting in Norway

QuoteA man has been arrested in Norway after a shooting inside a mosque left one person injured.

Police say a gunman opened fire on the Al-Noor Islamic Centre, near the capital Oslo, on Saturday.

The suspect has not been named, but police have described him as a "young white man".

The mosque's director told local media that the victim was a 75-year-old member of the congregation.

"One of our members has been shot by a white man with a helmet and uniform," Irfan Mushtaq told local newspaper Budstikka.

He later told local channel TV2 that the attacker had "carried two shotgun-like weapons and a pistol. He broke through a glass door and fired shots."

The gunman, who wore body armour, was overpowered by people at the mosque before police arrived at the scene, Mr Mushtaq added.

Oslo Police confirmed the attack on Twitter, saying: "One person is shot. The severity of that person's injuries is unknown. One suspect is arrested".

They said the suspect appears to have acted alone.

Police sources told public broadcaster NRK that several weapons were found inside the mosque, located in the town of Baerum, following the shooting.

The mosque had previously implemented extra security measures after a gunman killed 51 people at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, earlier this year, according to Reuters news agency.

The Brain

Go tacklers! :)

Hope the victim isn't hurt too bad. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Way to go Mosque tacklers! Let us hope the victim has a speedy and full recovery.

I am so ashamed to see my country inspiring these sorts of copycats.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2019, 01:27:56 PM
Way to go Mosque tacklers! Let us hope the victim has a speedy and full recovery.

I am so ashamed to see my country inspiring these sorts of copycats.

:(

I know it's probably not the thing to say, but I wouldn't be too upset if they'd beaten the guy to a pulp, but civilized people abide by the rule of law and wait for the police.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

It's the thing to say on Languish.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Solmyr on August 10, 2019, 01:15:21 PM
Mosque shooting in Norway

QuoteA man has been arrested in Norway after a shooting inside a mosque left one person injured.

Police say a gunman opened fire on the Al-Noor Islamic Centre, near the capital Oslo, on Saturday.

The suspect has not been named, but police have described him as a "young white man".

The mosque's director told local media that the victim was a 75-year-old member of the congregation.

"One of our members has been shot by a white man with a helmet and uniform," Irfan Mushtaq told local newspaper Budstikka.

He later told local channel TV2 that the attacker had "carried two shotgun-like weapons and a pistol. He broke through a glass door and fired shots."

The gunman, who wore body armour, was overpowered by people at the mosque before police arrived at the scene, Mr Mushtaq added.

Oslo Police confirmed the attack on Twitter, saying: "One person is shot. The severity of that person's injuries is unknown. One suspect is arrested".

They said the suspect appears to have acted alone.

Police sources told public broadcaster NRK that several weapons were found inside the mosque, located in the town of Baerum, following the shooting.

The mosque had previously implemented extra security measures after a gunman killed 51 people at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, earlier this year, according to Reuters news agency.

Man, Legbiter sucks at this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi