News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Maladict, July 13, 2016, 11:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

The free upgrade offer will be discontinued soon, should I upgrade from Win 7?

Will I really keep all of my files and settings?

Grey Fox

Your files will be there. Some settings are bound to get changed. Windows 10 is different.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maladict

Thanks. Will my programs still work if the file structure is different?

frunk

It depends entirely on the program.  I haven't had any problems but some do stop working with the upgrade.  I'd look online if there are specific programs you are worried about.

grumbler

I have not run across any problems, and I run some old programs.

Really, the upgrade was painless for me.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

Thanks. I'll do it over the weekend.

Monoriu

I'm a computer idiot, and I encountered no issues when I did it. 

Maladict

I always get the special treatment.  :(

First I got a message from the installer that "the following programs need your attention" followed by a blank space.
Eventually I figured out what the offending program was (some VPN service) and deleted it.

Installation was fairly smooth otherwise. However, after an hour my system ground to a halt because Windows Defender was hogging 99% of resources.
It took hours to get rid of it, but everything finally seemed to be running smoothly.

Then, about an hour later, Search Indexer starting hogging the system in exactly the same way. Now in the process of killing it.
It's like I'm dealing with HAL9000 here. :bleeding:

garbon

Yeah I want to upgrade but given how spectacularly my system failed going to 8.1...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Maladict on July 17, 2016, 10:10:06 AM
I always get the special treatment.  :(

First I got a message from the installer that "the following programs need your attention" followed by a blank space.
Eventually I figured out what the offending program was (some VPN service) and deleted it.

Installation was fairly smooth otherwise. However, after an hour my system ground to a halt because Windows Defender was hogging 99% of resources.
It took hours to get rid of it, but everything finally seemed to be running smoothly.

Then, about an hour later, Search Indexer starting hogging the system in exactly the same way. Now in the process of killing it.
It's like I'm dealing with HAL9000 here. :bleeding:

Get one of those freeware driver update programs (like driver booster).  I had tasks that were hogging resources like that, but updated drivers (don't depend on Windows to find them) solved that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

I'll try that, thanks!
They're disabled now, but something like searchindexer could actually be useful.

Phillip V

Since now is currently last weekend before free offer ends, I will upgrade later today from Win8 to Win10.  Change is scary.  :Embarrass:

Tonitrus

Still not sure if I will upgrade at all...

And today, it hijacked my computer when booting up (with, of all things, a giant blue screen  :lol: ), with a "WE ARE SORRY TO INTERRUPT, BUT ARE YOU SURE YOU DON'T WANT TO UPGRADE!?"  message.

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 24, 2016, 01:01:43 PM
Still not sure if I will upgrade at all...

And today, it hijacked my computer when booting up (with, of all things, a giant blue screen  :lol: ), with a "WE ARE SORRY TO INTERRUPT, BUT ARE YOU SURE YOU DON'T WANT TO UPGRADE!?"  message.

I hate upgrades, but in this case I am happy that I did it.  Windows 10 is better than either 8 or 7.  The upgrade process was also quite painless for me.  I pressed a few buttons and waited for like an hour for the computer to do its own thing, and that was it.  It would probably take less time if I paid attention to the prompts instead of wandering around the flat. 

Phillip V

Upgrade done.  I had to uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection because it is an older version, and my subscription lapsed.  Windows Defender - is it good enough alone?