Gotta update my processor?

Started by Josquius, June 04, 2016, 11:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on September 27, 2016, 11:18:00 AM
Ouch.
I guess when I make my next move I should invest in a nicer case. My motherboard doesn't properly fit in this one.
NZXT Phantom 820.  You will not regret it.  You may need a boom truck to transport it, but it's a really nice case!!!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

So. I'm pretty sure the RAM in this build is faulty. It mostly works. But way too many BSODs.
Apparently the only option is for it to sent to the manufacturer for repair (...err....with ram?) which might mean no computer for a few weeks.
Going to have to time this for holidays :(
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on April 26, 2017, 01:16:04 PM
So. I'm pretty sure the RAM in this build is faulty. It mostly works. But way too many BSODs.
Apparently the only option is for it to sent to the manufacturer for repair (...err....with ram?) which might mean no computer for a few weeks.
Going to have to time this for holidays :(

Mobos and GPUs have a nasty habit of throwing BSODs as well.  If you've got BSODs and a video card, the first thing I'd try is running it a few times with onboard video (if the mobo has it).
Experience bij!

Josquius

Trouble with testing by taking things out and waiting is that these BSODs are unreliable in when they occur. Can be nothing for weeks then several in a day.

I did the windows memory scan a few times and once it said it was my ram so I'm blaming them.

Wish there was a better way to track it down.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on April 28, 2017, 12:56:52 PM
Trouble with testing by taking things out and waiting is that these BSODs are unreliable in when they occur. Can be nothing for weeks then several in a day.

I did the windows memory scan a few times and once it said it was my ram so I'm blaming them.

Wish there was a better way to track it down.

On repeated BSODs, it'll tell you the memory 99 times out of 100, but it's actually the RAM maybe 25-30 times out of 100.

My testing process for those cases is: boot without video card > boot with RAM in swapped slots > boot with each stick of RAM individually > boot with old known good RAM (will work, will probably just be slower than what you've got in there- PROVIDED your mobo plays nice with the old RAM).
Experience bij!

Josquius

Temperatures are all ok.

The trouble with this experimenting is the bsods don't happen regularly. Its quite random. Sometimes I'll get 3 in a hour and other times nothing all week.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2017, 02:54:43 PM
Temperatures are all ok.

The trouble with this experimenting is the bsods don't happen regularly. Its quite random. Sometimes I'll get 3 in a hour and other times nothing all week.
http://memtest86.com/
or:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29343.running-windows-memory-diagnostics-tool-in-windows-10-technical-preview.aspx
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.