Archaeologists do it in holes: Tales from the stratigraphy

Started by Maladict, May 27, 2016, 02:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 21, 2019, 06:59:01 PM
Don't steal treasure guys:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/21/detectorists-hid-find-that-rewrites-anglo-saxon-history

It belongs in a musuem!!
;)

Good find :)
Now, The Last Kingdom will need to be rewritten :(  We couldn't let factually false information creep into our movie and tv shows... :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 22, 2019, 06:54:47 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 21, 2019, 06:59:01 PM
Don't steal treasure guys:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/21/detectorists-hid-find-that-rewrites-anglo-saxon-history
Is metal detectorists actually a real word?

Judging by the definitions on Cambridge, Merriam-Webster and Collins yes.

Although "metal detectorist" includes a redundant use of the word "metal" by those same definitions.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Maladict

Speaking of, the BBC comedy series Detectorists is excellent  :bowler:

dps

jimmy olsen

Did I really never post this story? A search for Philistines says no.

Incredible discovery, first cemetery of the Philistines. We had almost no burials of them at all before.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2016/07/bible-philistine-israelite-israel-ashkelon-discovery-burial-archaeology-sea-peoples/

Genetic testing says they match Iron Age populations from Greece, Spain and Sardinia. But they quickly mixed with the local Canaanites.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/ancient-dna-sheds-new-light-biblical-philistines-180972561/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 11, 2019, 02:27:45 AM
Did I really never post this story? A search for Philistines says no.

Incredible discovery, first cemetery of the Philistines. We had almost no burials of them at all before.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2016/07/bible-philistine-israelite-israel-ashkelon-discovery-burial-archaeology-sea-peoples/

Genetic testing says they match Iron Age populations from Greece, Spain and Sardinia. But they quickly mixed with the local Canaanites.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/ancient-dna-sheds-new-light-biblical-philistines-180972561/

That is very interesting.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Not surprising but helps resolve some open questions.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

The Aegean migration/refugee hypothesis receives corroboration, but at the same time numbers were not overwhelming as the immigrants quickly mingled with and were subsumed by the natives from a genetic perspective.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Alternative hypothesis, the numbers were large and the Cannanite women irresistible  :D

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 11, 2019, 03:53:40 PM
The Aegean migration/refugee hypothesis receives corroboration, but at the same time numbers were not overwhelming as the immigrants quickly mingled with and were subsumed by the natives from a genetic perspective.
Well, sorta like the Vikings, no?  They arrived in large numbers, but eventually settled in fewer numbers accross all the areas they raided/conquered and then intermingled with the locals.

If they were the Sea People, it is a possibility that they first raided&invaded Egypt and other localities, but then gradually settled in the areas they conquered and over the course of a few centuries inter-married with others.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 11, 2019, 03:53:40 PM

That's a pretty common occurrence when warriors from one place conquer a people in another.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017