Archaeologists do it in holes: Tales from the stratigraphy

Started by Maladict, May 27, 2016, 02:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2019, 12:11:51 AM
The infamous skull racks of Tenochtitlan have been found, larger than a basketball court, they would have held thousands of skulls at a time.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/06/feeding-gods-hundreds-skulls-reveal-massive-scale-human-sacrifice-aztec-capital

That is quite amazing. And great timing too, as my students will be reading Inga Clendinnen's Aztecs in a week.
Que le grand cric me croque !

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 29, 2019, 03:06:16 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2019, 12:11:51 AM
The infamous skull racks of Tenochtitlan have been found, larger than a basketball court, they would have held thousands of skulls at a time.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/06/feeding-gods-hundreds-skulls-reveal-massive-scale-human-sacrifice-aztec-capital

That is quite amazing. And great timing too, as my students will be reading Inga Clendinnen's Aztecs in a week.
Cool!

What exactly do you teach Oex? Shamefully, I've forgotten.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

My brother is working on this project (he's in the back row on the left in the team picture):

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/oct/03/ancient-scrolls-charred-by-vesuvius-could-be-read-once-again

It would be awesome if this worked!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

I saw one of Brent Seales demonstrations (on admittedly much easier material). It was really impressive.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

I thought it was interesting that the documents they were most looking forward to potentially finding was previously unknown Sappho and a treatise on getting wasted by Marc Antony :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2019, 10:10:51 AM
I thought it was interesting that the documents they were most looking forward to potentially finding was previously unknown Sappho and a treatise on getting wasted by Marc Antony :lol:

He was, allegedly, one of history's greatest experts on the topic.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

Could we just be accurate and call him Marcus Antonius please? :P

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on October 04, 2019, 05:28:43 AM
Could we just be accurate and call him Marcus Antonius please? :P

You're thinking of the Roman.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Not as old as most of the stuff in this thread...but still old, and history, and kinda cool.  :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-50102210

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

https://phys.org/news/2019-11-infants-years-helmets-children-skulls.html

QuoteInfants from 2100 years ago found with helmets made of children's skulls

A team of researchers from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and Universidad Técnica de Manabí in Ecuador has found and reported on ancient infant skulls that were excavated at a site in Salango, Ecuador. In their paper published in the journal Latin American Antiquity, the group describes how the infant skulls were encased in the skulls of older children.

The researchers note that the human head was often a powerful symbol for many early South American cultures, which might explain what they found. While on a dig in Salango, Ecuador, the researchers came across and unearthed the remains of 11 people buried at the site approximately 2100 years ago. The people that lived there at the time were called Guangala—the researchers also found multiple artifacts in addition to the bones.

The researchers report that among the remains they found were two infants, each with the skull of an older child fitted over their head—like a helmet. One of the infants was believed to have been approximately 18 months old at the time of death—its skull helmet came from a second child who was believed to have been approximately four to 12 years old at the time of death. The other infant was believed to have been approximately six to nine months old at death, and its skull helmet was believed to have come from a child approximately two to 12 years old at death. It is not yet known if the deceased children were related to one another, or the reason skulls were used as helmets for deceased infants. The researchers did note that the skull helmets fit snugly, which, they suggest, could indicate a simultaneous burial of the infant and the child that donated the skull helmet.

The researchers note that the find is the only known instance of using children's skulls as helmets for infants as part of a burial ceremony. They also note that it was possible that those who buried them were attempting to confer some sort of protection in the afterlife. They also note that it was possible the infant and/or the child involved in the ceremony were part of a ritual meant to calm a nearby active volcano, though they also suggest either of the deceased young ones could have died as a result of starvation due to the aftereffects of the volcanic eruption.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Valmy

Well if I was going to do that it would be for one of two reasons:

1. I wanted to protect my baby's fontanel and their deceased older kid wasn't using their skull anymore so why not?

2. I loved the older kid so much I wanted to somehow transfer its essence into a baby so maybe I thought putting the older kid's skull on its head would do that.

But hey there are probably dozens of reasons one might put a skull from a dead person on your baby.