Started by jimmy olsen, May 19, 2016, 10:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 20, 2016, 01:54:46 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2016, 03:45:43 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 20, 2016, 02:01:59 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2016, 01:10:01 AM
The US is a village?

He's saying the amount of electric production added (1291 MW) isn't much.  The US average consumption per capita/year is ~13,250KW according to Google.  1291 MW = 1,291,000KW.  About enough for 100 people a year.

I thought power plants measured watts by the hour? :unsure:

Correct.

1291 MW is quite a bit.  Equivalent to 2 large generation facilities, about enough to serve 1 million homes.

One heck of village.

Glad to hear my understanding wasn't that off base.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Monoriu

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 21, 2016, 09:07:37 PM
What kind of stadium was that?

Imagine an indoor basketball place.  It is actually used quite often for exams and ceremonies. 

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 21, 2016, 10:11:16 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2016, 03:45:43 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 20, 2016, 02:01:59 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2016, 01:10:01 AM
The US is a village?

He's saying the amount of electric production added (1291 MW) isn't much.  The US average consumption per capita/year is ~13,250KW according to Google.  1291 MW = 1,291,000KW.  About enough for 100 people a year.

Correct.

1291 MW is quite a bit.  Equivalent to 2 large generation facilities, about enough to serve 1 million homes.

One heck of village.

What do you mean measure watts by the hour???
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2016, 10:06:06 PM
I have been saying this for years guys. Cheap and renewable energy is coming. And we are leading the charge here in Texas. We are going to have massive battery banks storing all of our wind and solar energy and we are going to be exporting it all around the country to take advantage of high prices in areas still reliant on old fashioned technology. As I said when I was meeting with the solar and wind investors last year they said they really wouldn't care if the Feds cancelled their tax credit, they know they have reached the tipping point.

Mono I fail to see how one mistake means jack. Would you like to see all the hilarious disasters that can occur when you run a nuclear plant or fire a giant fireball inside a coal plant? Besides as I have said tons of times, but you seem to be deaf to, is that rooftop solar is not a good solution for Hong Kong.

Quote from: Monoriu on May 19, 2016, 11:13:35 PM
That's a village.  Currently, Hong Kong's electricity generation fuel mix is 50% coal, 20% nuclear and 30% natural gas.  We are planning to change that to 60% natural gas, 20% coal and 20% nuclear.  There are no plans to use renewables. 

Then pay higher prices. Somebody else will make the renewables and make a fortune off of Hong Kong's poor planning. Though I will say that renewables requires space. Hong Kong does not have much of that...but then does Hong Kong have coal mines and natural gas operations?

As you said, renewable energy requires space.  We don't have space.  So we don't use renewables.  And guess what, as long as this remains true for places outside Europe and North America, the Earth is still doomed :contract:

Iormlund

Power: Watts (kW, MW, etc).
Energy: Watts per hour (usually kWh or MWh).

By the way Tim, renewables cannot replace gas beyond certain point. The thing about gas is it is ideal from a backup point of view. They can be hooked on and off the grid fast and are always dependable. The only renewable that can do this is hydro, but unless you live in a wet, mountainous, sparsely populated area (say Norway) you won't have enough capacity or will have to hold on to water for irrigation purposes.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on May 22, 2016, 03:22:40 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2016, 10:06:06 PM
I have been saying this for years guys. Cheap and renewable energy is coming. And we are leading the charge here in Texas. We are going to have massive battery banks storing all of our wind and solar energy and we are going to be exporting it all around the country to take advantage of high prices in areas still reliant on old fashioned technology. As I said when I was meeting with the solar and wind investors last year they said they really wouldn't care if the Feds cancelled their tax credit, they know they have reached the tipping point.

Mono I fail to see how one mistake means jack. Would you like to see all the hilarious disasters that can occur when you run a nuclear plant or fire a giant fireball inside a coal plant? Besides as I have said tons of times, but you seem to be deaf to, is that rooftop solar is not a good solution for Hong Kong.

Quote from: Monoriu on May 19, 2016, 11:13:35 PM
That's a village.  Currently, Hong Kong's electricity generation fuel mix is 50% coal, 20% nuclear and 30% natural gas.  We are planning to change that to 60% natural gas, 20% coal and 20% nuclear.  There are no plans to use renewables. 

Then pay higher prices. Somebody else will make the renewables and make a fortune off of Hong Kong's poor planning. Though I will say that renewables requires space. Hong Kong does not have much of that...but then does Hong Kong have coal mines and natural gas operations?

As you said, renewable energy requires space.  We don't have space.  So we don't use renewables.  And guess what, as long as this remains true for places outside Europe and North America, the Earth is still doomed :contract:

Africa doesn't have space? South America doesn't have space? India doesn't have space?  Mainland China doesn't have space?

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2016, 01:16:01 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen

Correct.

One heck of village.

As in the below example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt#Confusion_of_watts.2C_watt-hours_and_watts_per_hour
QuoteThe terms power and energy are frequently confused. Power is the rate at which energy is generated or consumed and hence is measured in units (e.g. watts) that represent energy per unit time.

For example, when a light bulb with a power rating of 100W is turned on for one hour, the energy used is 100 watt hours
(W·h),  A power station would be rated in multiples of watts (for example, the Three Gorges Dam is rated at approximately 22 gigawatts), but its annual energy sales or output would be in multiples of watt hours. Major energy production or consumption is often expressed as terawatt hours for a given period that is often a calendar year or financial year

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Speaking of China, Mono.

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2016/may/13/tantalisingly-close-is-solar-thermal-energy-ready-to-replace-coal-fired-power
QuoteChinese company Shenhua Coal, which signed a memorandum of understanding with SolarReserve last week to build ten, large-scale solar tower and storage plants in China, totalling more than 1,000MW and at a cost of $2bn.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 22, 2016, 07:05:28 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2016, 01:16:01 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen

Correct.

One heck of village.

As in the below example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt#Confusion_of_watts.2C_watt-hours_and_watts_per_hour
QuoteThe terms power and energy are frequently confused. Power is the rate at which energy is generated or consumed and hence is measured in units (e.g. watts) that represent energy per unit time.

For example, when a light bulb with a power rating of 100W is turned on for one hour, the energy used is 100 watt hours
(W·h),  A power station would be rated in multiples of watts (for example, the Three Gorges Dam is rated at approximately 22 gigawatts), but its annual energy sales or output would be in multiples of watt hours. Major energy production or consumption is often expressed as terawatt hours for a given period that is often a calendar year or financial year

You mean measure energy in watt hours?

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on May 22, 2016, 03:22:40 AM

Um coal mines and coal plants also require space :lol:

Renewables will soon be cheaper and HK will be importing it regardless of what their plan is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 22, 2016, 08:17:00 AM
Speaking of China, Mono.

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2016/may/13/tantalisingly-close-is-solar-thermal-energy-ready-to-replace-coal-fired-power
QuoteChinese company Shenhua Coal, which signed a memorandum of understanding with SolarReserve last week to build ten, large-scale solar tower and storage plants in China, totalling more than 1,000MW and at a cost of $2bn.

That is the funny part. For all of Mono's bluster the Chinese have been big leaders in this process.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."