News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Civilization VI

Started by Zanza, May 11, 2016, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Ok so maybe generations 2500 from now will have a better grasp on US-UK differences than some people in those countries right now (often Britain seems more engrossed in US politics than British one), but to stick with Tim's original example: we waste little more thought to Syracuse Tarentum etc. than they were Greek cities in the Mediterranean, I doubt 2500 years from now, assuming no special significance, people will bother more with New Zealand or Australia than they were former British colonies going sorta-independent

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 02, 2020, 08:19:08 AM
Ok so maybe generations 2500 from now will have a better grasp on US-UK differences than some people in those countries right now (often Britain seems more engrossed in US politics than British one), but to stick with Tim's original example: we waste little more thought to Syracuse Tarentum etc. than they were Greek cities in the Mediterranean, I doubt 2500 years from now, assuming no special significance, people will bother more with New Zealand or Australia than they were former British colonies going sorta-independent

Well that would support having UK, Canada and Australia separate but then also not having Australia vs New Zealand (which only one of those two is a civ in CIV6).

Anyone seems a fool's errand to try to make heads or tails of what should be a Civilization given current design choices.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

I have definitely always thought having modern countries in Civ is daft.
But meh, I understand there's demand to see America and I guess Brazil so let it be. Gran Colombia is unusual however. I guess they just wanted to represent non-Portuguese Latin America in some way?
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on June 08, 2020, 05:38:56 AM
I have definitely always thought having modern countries in Civ is daft.

Yes, if you're playing as the Sumerians, find out you're bordering the Japanese who have just built the Pyramids, while under attack from Incan torpedo boats and having your scribes barred from seeing the new Zulu wonder weapon, the appearance of a modern country would be pretty odd.  :P

Syt

I'm trying this again. I have 100 hours in the game, but I more often than not quit before reaching Middle Ages. I'm seriously struggling trying to balance barbarians and expansion and not falling behind the other Civs in the early stages. Again, this is on Prince difficulty.

I've read guides, watched tutorials, but often I either struggle to get rid of barbs, or - if I have enough units to secure my area - I fall behind on expansion. I'm currently in a Gaul game where I seem to be doing well, but that's mostly because I've only run into one barbarian camp near my area and none have respawned yet.

Things I do: create early units (warriors, archers), try to get a Holy Site in (even if I don't go for religion myself, but faith is useful), and a campus. Plus theater/commercial if I can afford it, maybe an early wonder. I make sure I have the card for 50% less cost for settlers and all, but ... yeah. Guess I will have to keep trying to get this right, somehow.  :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

I've been playing this quite a bit recently. I installed a mod to change pace slightly so that it fits better to my expectation and always play on epic speed.

Planning where to put your cities and districts is crucial for optimizing output and competing. And a lot of wonders are useless depending on playing style. Some great persons are also much more important than others.

The early barbarian onslaught is sometimes problematic If you cannot destroy their camp fast enough. Destroying the camp or their alerted scout should have priority.

For me, success on King level is normally possible, but I find myself restarting a lot until I have a good combination of interesting leader and good starting position.

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on June 01, 2020, 03:31:27 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 24, 2020, 01:01:13 PM
Also, Simon Bolivar/Gran Colombia might be "a bit" OP: https://youtu.be/Xk0QVqx-1Ss?t=147
That part always annoyed me.  Every time some civ gets added to the game, it has to get some completely overpowered mechanic to stand out, which both breaks the balance as well as makes the most historically relevant Civs underpowered.
They announced that they will rebalance all leaders in April 2021.

Syt

Yes, getting a start with the right mix of food/production, plus district sites can take some restarting. I try to catch barbs early, and have units outside my cities as a "screen", but that helps little when a big barbarian party (probably on the way to an AI city, because I didn't have their scout show up first) shows up out of nowhere.

I try to kill off camps early, because the era score and money boost are well worth it. But it sucks when your two units arrive at the camp just when it's spawning its raiding party. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

The policy for extra combat strength against barbarians is very nice early, it's one of the first ones you get. I believe you can also turn off barbarians completely, if you don't like them.

Syt

Quote from: Solmyr on January 31, 2021, 04:47:07 AM
The policy for extra combat strength against barbarians is very nice early, it's one of the first ones you get. I believe you can also turn off barbarians completely, if you don't like them.

Yeah, I use that all the time. Switching off barbarians seems too radical, esp. with the bonuses they can provide (combat XP, eureka moments, era score, cash, ...).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

I thought I was doing ok in my Gaul game, till ...

—Stephen Jay Gould