And we're back!

Main Menu

Civilization VI

Started by Zanza, May 11, 2016, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on February 20, 2019, 10:12:26 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 20, 2019, 12:46:46 PM
The game is ridicoulously easy below King difficulty though, that adds a signifcant portion of boredom no matter the mechanics.
I think it's tedious no matter the difficulty.  Every time I try to get into Civ 6, at some point pretty soon I go "this feels like work, and not fun work".  Something about the game is very off, but it's hard to put a finger on what exactly.

I agree with that pre-Gathering Storm. I've admired the design of Civ6 but indeed something felt off. However, for some reason, GS has seems to pushed the game over the edge for me, and I find it much more fun.

Eddie Teach

That's pretty damning, considering what Guller considers "fun work". :pinch:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 21, 2019, 07:42:11 AM
That's pretty damning, considering what Guller considers "fun work". :pinch:

:lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Syt

Been playing a bit more of Civ6, and while I still have to make it past the Renaissance, I like the experience now a lot better. My main grievances when the game came out and after first expansion were:
- Friends constantly declaring war on you, because they used "joint war declaration" to trade for luxury goods
- Barbarians seemed more aggressive; I recall struggling swatting them all, and having 5 or so barb scouts hanging around my cities
- crazy religious game; I specifically quit one game because I had literally 20 missionaries and inquisitors swarming my territory - the map was covered in religious units from one faction
All these seem much better now
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

Quote from: Syt on February 24, 2019, 06:52:04 AM
Been playing a bit more of Civ6, and while I still have to make it past the Renaissance, I like the experience now a lot better. My main grievances when the game came out and after first expansion were:
- Friends constantly declaring war on you, because they used "joint war declaration" to trade for luxury goods
- Barbarians seemed more aggressive; I recall struggling swatting them all, and having 5 or so barb scouts hanging around my cities
- crazy religious game; I specifically quit one game because I had literally 20 missionaries and inquisitors swarming my territory - the map was covered in religious units from one faction
All these seem much better now

Yeah, the missionaries and inquisitors can be a real hassle when the AI player uses them heavily. You have to keep making units to counter them and rarely have enough resources to make enough counters. I hope they toned that down a bit.

Solmyr

Started playing the new expansion, loving the new stuff so far. Of course, I am also using plenty of mods to improve various aspects of the game.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Incidentally for anyone who doesn't have it yet, Civ VI is part of a new humble bundle strategy bundle, also includes Plague evolve and off-world trading.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/09/10/civilization-6-battle-royale-red-death/

QuoteCivilization 6 launches its dystopian battle royale mode Red Death

In the words of 60s rock group The Byrds, to everything there is a season. A time of love, a time of hate. A time to dance, a time to mourn. For game developers, this past year has been one long summer of Battle Royale season. Which I guess sort of puts the song into a different perspective considering it less a season than one overwhelming and endless new era. Perhaps fad genres are more like seasons in Game of Thrones, which continue on across generations or until the sweet relief of death.

Anyway, Civilization 6 developers Firaxis have launched a new battle royale mode today called Red Death, and it's free to anyone who already owns the base game.

Red Death is a 12-person multiplayer mode set in a post-apocalyptic future where cities are in ruin, oceans are acidic, and a radioactive storm known as the Red Death is slowly closing in on the map.

Initially players will choose between a new set of factions. There's your evil government scientists, your mutant cultists, your 18th century pirates (?) – a little taste of everything from the wide buffet spread of doomsday fiction, each with their own particular advantages (the 90s-era industrially gothic borderlords make me feel very seen).

The aim of the game isn't to build, however. Starting things out with just one Civilian, one Infantry, and one Machine Gun unit, the goal is to be the last one standing, in the last surviving place in the world, who then jumps onto a lander and shuttles themselves off the planet. As the Safe Zone shrinks every few turns, a la Fortnite, you're up against an ever decreasing playable area. Likewise, players are eliminated when their last civilian gets captured.

This battle arena mode also allows for AI opponents and two player duels if you'd rather avoid that other modern nightmare: the pick-up group. Take a look at it in action below, although I highly recommend muting the video lest you want mental flashbacks to McGruff the Crime Dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tiZv0TvXyM
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

On sale on Steam, I think I will get the main DLCs.
Solmyr, what mods are you using?

crazy canuck

Been playing around with it for the last bit, very enjoyable.  This is not the game I remember putting aside after launch.

Solmyr

I use a fuckton of mods. Not sure how to list them all easily. :P

Darth Wagtaros

Playing a game now.  The AI can build up a hugeass army and manage a surprise attack, but builds battleships and subs on a 2 hex lake, and then sent a settler/musketman combo right to on eof my cities during a war. 

PDH!

crazy canuck

Playing a game as Eleanor - I think I am going to win a domination victory without having to ever declare war  :D

What I enjoy is the very different play styles depending on which civ you get.

As for AI, on Diety I still get my ass kicked more often then not.  Playing on Immortal is about right for me.