And we're back!

Main Menu

President Trump - The First 100 days.

Started by mongers, May 04, 2016, 06:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 10, 2016, 03:49:48 PM
I wonder what Sanders' first 100 days would look like? :hmm:

Well it'll be January-March, so they'll probably look cold.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2016, 03:52:31 PM

Well it'll be January-March, so they'll probably look cold.
:bowler:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Many bills that fail in committee, much heated rhetoric, some symbolic executive orders.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2016, 03:56:29 PM

Many bills that fail in committee, much heated rhetoric, some symbolic executive orders.

So not unlike what President Trump will achieve.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on May 10, 2016, 04:26:59 PM
So not unlike what President Trump will achieve.

Very different.  Bernie would rail against Teh Wall Street while Donald would rail against foreigners and maybe launch a few nukes.

Berkut

I actually think Trump has a reasonable chance of not being as terrible as we all think.

My horror with him is really not about him, since I actually think his actual policies would have little resemblance to the things he says, but rather about the fact that he says those things, and Americans - a lot of Americans - love him for it.

I think if he were President he would likely be largely incompetent, but not actually malevolent. He would not get much done, and what he did get done would have little in common with the idiotic rhetoric he has been spewing for the last 9 months.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

His schtick would wear thin quickly when confronted with the quotidian reality of office.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: Berkut on May 10, 2016, 04:34:15 PM
I actually think Trump has a reasonable chance of not being as terrible as we all think.

My horror with him is really not about him, since I actually think his actual policies would have little resemblance to the things he says, but rather about the fact that he says those things, and Americans - a lot of Americans - love him for it.

I think if he were President he would likely be largely incompetent, but not actually malevolent. He would not get much done, and what he did get done would have little in common with the idiotic rhetoric he has been spewing for the last 9 months.

I think that you're probably right, but if his opponent is Hilary I'm not willing to take that chance.  Against Bernie, I probably would be, but that's likely a moot point.

11B4V

It would be worth it for the late nite and premium channel shows. MSNBC would be in constant fit mode.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

My theory is that a lot of people are so unhappy, they feel so hopeless, and they are so desperate, that they are willing to vote for any idea or person that is new and has not been tried before.  Tell them that Trump is a bad person and his ideas are unworkable, and they'll respond with "the politicians and their ideas have not worked for us in the past few decades either, so why not give him a chance?" 

Unfortunately the only way to thoroughly discredit a political idea is to implement it.  Millions and millions of people wanted to try communism and wouldn't listen to arguments that it doesn't work.  Until it has been tried and shown not to work.  The US hasn't tried to elect someone who is completely new to politics and isn't a war hero as president before.  Unless the have-nots feel they have some hope for the future, it is only a matter of time before they successfully elect an anti-establishment candidate.  If not Donald Trump in 2016, it will be another populist in the future elections. 

Camerus

I wonder how rationally addressing the (at least in some instances legitimate) grievances of those who feel disenfranchised enough to vote for Trump would look like, so as to reduce the likelihood of another Trump coming along?  Because Trump (and Bernie) is a bullshit answer to some serious issues, issues which clearly are leading large swaths of people to feel they no longer have much of a stake in status quo America. And I don't think dismissing Trump's supporters simply as moronic rubes is terribly useful in this process either.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Camerus on May 10, 2016, 10:45:29 PM
I wonder how rationally addressing the (at least in some instances legitimate) grievances of those who feel disenfranchised enough to vote for Trump would look like, so as to reduce the likelihood of another Trump coming along?  Because Trump (and Bernie) is a bullshit answer to some serious issues, issues which clearly are leading large swaths of people to feel they no longer have much of a stake in status quo America. And I don't think dismissing Trump's supporters simply as moronic rubes is terribly useful in this process either.

I think the options are limited to educating, pandering, and giving free money.

Camerus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2016, 10:51:46 PM
Quote from: Camerus on May 10, 2016, 10:45:29 PM

I think the options are limited to educating, pandering, and giving free money.

How would that be different from now?

Razgovory

The problem is that the person in the office of the Presidency needs to show a great deal of restraint, or people will die.  Take for instance our embassies.  People protest our embassies all the time.  In some places they throw rocks at our embassies, and have occasion climbed over the walls or otherwise assault the gates.  Last year some idiot threw bombs at our embassy (nobody was killed).  A few years ago an Embassy was over run in Yemen and lit on fire.  The US can legally defend these embassies with lethal force, but chooses not to do so.  Doing so could make the entire situation much worse.  I could easily see Trump giving the order to use lethal force.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I don't know. His previous ventures seem him regularly burn things to the ground because of his ego. I don't think he could be satisfied with incompetent irrelevance. That is why he is dangerous.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."