News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Twilight Struggle is out on Steam

Started by Drakken, April 16, 2016, 06:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

My Steam profile is Solmyr77 (here's a web link if you cannot find it). Everyone can feel free to add me if we aren't friends on Steam already.

Drakken

Quote from: Tamas on April 20, 2016, 06:35:20 AM
https://twilightstrategy.com/new-to-twilight-struggle/

The site itself was recommended to me by a TS-veteran friend. He wiped the floor with me twice now.

While the PDF is very helpful in getting to learn the relative value of cards, it does not really address the strategic ramifications of your choices of how to maximize your use of Operations: How to spread Influence, the Couping/Realigning choices, controling access to theaters, Early-Mid-Late War dynamics, how to manage the infamous Wargames card, when to sacrifice VPs to gain advantage elsewhere, etc.

I find it instead very first-degree : Play this and win, discard this card as it is useless, etc. If some cards are indeed useless, then it's either due to poor design choices or because they have a use and the author is not as strategically sound as he believes. It is like reading a chess strategy book describing each piece by rote, arguing why Knights are so uber over Bishops and pawns are weak and should be discarded. Yeah sure, whatever. But what about delving into the deeper strategic understanding that makes Knights over Bishops in certain situations, and not in others?

Habbaku

+1 Drakken.  The guide is very good, but fails to argue a lot of points that are rather important for breaking through on reasoning.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maladict

To be fair, it does have articles on the regions, early/middle/late war etc.

bogh

Yeah, the cards bit is more of a reference piece.

While all cards have specific uses and situational value, some are clearly inferior to others and all are not created equal at all. I don't think that's inferior design, it's simply part of the game.

Read the general articles and (especially) the annotated games for a better appreciation of his level.

Drakken

Habs, here was my Hand of Doom when you triggered your victory by VP.  :lol:

Me the US, Habs the Soviets, Mid-War.

FunkMonk

You folks can add me so you can brutally own me in this game. I am: funkmonk
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Berkut

This needs to be on iOS, it really does...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Solmyr on April 20, 2016, 09:43:06 AM
My Steam profile is Solmyr77 (here's a web link if you cannot find it). Everyone can feel free to add me if we aren't friends on Steam already.

Yeah, but what's your name in Twilight Struggle?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Drakken

Quote from: Habbaku on April 21, 2016, 09:59:19 AM
Yeah, but what's your name in Twilight Struggle?

I found a Solmyr on TS. Solmyr77 does not exist.

Solmyr

Oh, I thought it was handled via Steam account. Created it now, Solmyr77.

Drakken

CIA Created is Herpes for the USSR.  :yuk:

Drakken

Quote from: Solmyr on April 21, 2016, 02:02:53 PM
Oh, I thought it was handled via Steam account. Created it now, Solmyr77.

I've sent you an invite for a game. As you are beginning I let you have the US.

Funkmonk, I conceded the game because you were about to lose on time. I've sent you an invite also for a game on 7 days.

FunkMonk

Thanks Drakken. :bowler:

If you don't mind, it looks like I'm going to be away from my computer this weekend, so I'll accept the game invite and start the game on Sunday.  :bowler:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.