News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Twilight Struggle is out on Steam

Started by Drakken, April 16, 2016, 06:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Might strike at this one. Heard about the board game but never played.

Razgovory

Tamas plays it.  I see him, thorough the web cam...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

I have it too, although Tamas has been avoiding playing with me.

My feedback on it - and some of these may be things I haven't figured out yet.

1) Sounds are annoying. It's like endless klaxons. I get its going for a nuclear war Cold War feel, but tone down the alarms. (Sound off)
2) The game should do a better job of tracking where players are putting influence. Tracking other players moves are handled much better in Lords of Waterdeep.
3) I can't find a way to check what an opponents event does. It seems like you can click their move and it'll tell you they played an event but I can't see where it shows you the effect. Anyone?

Other than that...its Twilight Struggle. Fun game.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Habbaku

TS is one of the recent classics of board gaming.  I'll probably pick this up when it goes on sale or if they do an iOS version.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Drakken

Drakken

I like the ambiance and the atmosphere, it reminds me of DEFCON. Plus the tutorial is quite helpful, combined with downloading the rulebook which is freely and widely available.

crazy canuck

This looks interesting.

Drakken, you are showing your age a bit.  Once upon a time when the two of us were young, before access to digital distribution, it was worth remarking on something that was widely available.  :D

Jaron

I lost my game to Tamas...

I was US. Second turn I had just the worst hand ever. All Soviet cards and all worth 1-2 ops except for one 3 ops card. I couldn't throw down enough influence to stop him from getting good scores in.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on April 17, 2016, 01:50:59 PM

:lol:

That's what you get for calling him out, I guess.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Drakken

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 17, 2016, 01:44:41 PM
This looks interesting.

Drakken, you are showing your age a bit.  Once upon a time when the two of us were young, before access to digital distribution, it was worth remarking on something that was widely available.  :D

After seeing half a dozen posts from new players on Steam wondering if game over when reaching DEFCON 1 was either a bug or an horrendous design choice, you'd think RTFM would apply when it is totallly free even before buying.

Drakken

Seems like the Bear AI has a fixation to get Philippines on first turn.

Drakken

Registered for online play as Lord_Drakken.

This has potential, especially if the usual suspects come in (Hab and Berkut, we are looking at you).

Drakken

Quote from: Jaron on April 17, 2016, 01:50:59 PM

I was US. Second turn I had just the worst hand ever. All Soviet cards and all worth 1-2 ops except for one 3 ops card. I couldn't throw down enough influence to stop him from getting good scores in.

Early War favours of the USSR, Middle War is Neutral, and Late War favours the US. Early in the game the aim of the USSR is to swiftly blow you out of the game. Thus your basic aim is holding the fort, and spreading your influence to contain the USSR as much as possible until Turn 3 comes. Identify which countries are key to penetrate each theater and attempt your best to contest or prevent them to the USSR.

Keep in mind, only Europe, Asia, and Middle East have Scoring Cards  EW, so if learn to manipulate DEFCON to shut the door for coups and realignments right in the Soviet's face. That's why bringing DEFCON 2 is a good play if you know how to manage your cards - coups/realignments become forbidden in all three of these theaters, and if USSR attempts something in a BG country elsewhere he loses the game.

As the US you'll be dealt some shitty hands like that seem - seem - to play in USSR's hands. However, USSR cards with asterisks are better played early in the game when it is less painful, since those will be removed from the game when Event-played.

Habbaku

Quote from: Drakken on April 17, 2016, 08:24:17 PM
Registered for online play as Lord_Drakken.

This has potential, especially if the usual suspects come in (Hab and Berkut, we are looking at you).

Fuck it.  20% discount + $1.12 in my Steam Wallet from selling trading cards = I'll buy it.

I added you on Steam, Drakken.  Feel free to start a game at your leisure.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

I was thinking this was going to be out on iOS as well. Not the case?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned