Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tonitrus

Ya'll should just let the Queen decide this one.

Admiral Yi

If somehow Britain decided it wanted to remain after all, the EU states would have to approve it, right?  Not automatic?

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2019, 04:36:56 PM
If somehow Britain decided it wanted to remain after all, the EU states would have to approve it, right?  Not automatic?

The UK can rescind Article 50 unilaterally, according to a recent ruling from the ECJ. Obviously only before Brexit comes into effect, deal or no deal.

Iormlund

No. As Celed says they can do that unilaterally, for 9 more days.

Richard Hakluyt

Petition to revoke A50 for UK voters (and residents?) to sign if they like. Made me feel marginally better :

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

Josquius

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 20, 2019, 05:16:25 PM
Petition to revoke A50 for UK voters (and residents?) to sign if they like. Made me feel marginally better :

I look forward to the standard stock response.

Still thinking to try and get to London on Saturday though really unsure how I'll do it. Bus from Newcastle leaves at 5am and thats a good hour's walk away :pinch:
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I am still amazed by the total failure of politics in a mature democracy.  This is the sort of bullshit you see in Argentina or Greece.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 20, 2019, 05:16:25 PM

Thanks. First petition I've ever signed, online or otherwise. :)

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 20, 2019, 05:30:47 PM
I am still amazed by the total failure of politics in a mature democracy.  This is the sort of bullshit you see in Argentina or Greece.

No, it's two prime ministers putting internal party politics ahead of the national interest and then every other political leader failing to understand the dangers in the brexit process.

So not a total failure, there's still a chance the moderate politicians will act in the face of this far-right shift in UK politics.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Let a tomato mature too much and it rots.

The British system of democracy is no longer fit for purpose
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2019, 04:39:52 PM

The UK can rescind Article 50 unilaterally, according to a recent ruling from the ECJ.

They were told to deliver that ruling, so I guess the system works.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2019, 05:49:01 PM
So not a total failure, there's still a chance the moderate politicians will act in the face of this far-right shift in UK politics.
the Queen will abdicate in favour of Charles and he will reinstate absolute Monarchy?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2019, 05:49:01 PM

No, it's two prime ministers putting internal party politics ahead of the national interest and then every other political leader failing to understand the dangers in the brexit process.

Who are the moderate politicians?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on March 20, 2019, 06:03:24 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2019, 04:39:52 PM

The UK can rescind Article 50 unilaterally, according to a recent ruling from the ECJ.

They were told to deliver that ruling, so I guess the system works.
Who told them to deliver that ruling? The Commission argued differently. 

Zanza

Theresa May basically attacked parliament in a very populist and authoritarian speech. All this taking back control for her was always about more government power, not more democracy. Shows her real personality.