Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2019, 06:54:01 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 27, 2019, 04:14:02 AM
It's definitely correct that london is the richest region in Europe whilst much of the country is more on a par with Eastern Europe.

Oddly it doesn't show that. It shows that most of the rest of the UK is on the part with the non-capital regions of France.

It also shows that in most countries, you can see the capital region outperforming the surrounding areas.

Why do you think it doesn't show that?

It's a well known pattern that capitals tend to suck in wealth from their nation. Looking back through history exceptions tend to be rare. It is also pretty well known however that the modern UK takes this to extremes, with for instance our missing second city.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on June 27, 2019, 12:23:49 PM
It's definitely correct that london is the richest region in Europe whilst much of the country is more on a par with Eastern Europe.

Oddly it doesn't show that. It shows that most of the rest of the UK is on the part with the non-capital regions of France.

It also shows that in most countries, you can see the capital region outperforming the surrounding areas.

It's a well known pattern that capitals tend to suck in wealth from their nation. Looking back through history exceptions tend to be rare. It is also pretty well known however that the modern UK takes this to extremes, with for instance our missing second city.

Because the UK shading outside London mostly doesn't match eastern Europe. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I just checked Eurostat and a couple regions in Spain (Aragon and Murcia) should be a shade lighter. I guess there might be some small mistakes in other countries too.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2019, 12:48:22 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 27, 2019, 12:23:49 PM

Because the UK shading outside London mostly doesn't match eastern Europe. :huh:

I didn't say that though. I said more akin to eastern europe than to London. East Germany is a good analogue. Many of the richer parts of eastern europe are pulling ahead of the poorer parts of the UK now.

The centre for cities data is pretty good for this. It analyses which cities are close analogues for each other. For instance.
https://www.centreforcities.org/competing-with-the-continent/factsheets/sunderland/
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Oh okay so just hyperbole, that makes it better.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 27, 2019, 04:10:34 AM
Mississippi has an infant mortality rate of 8.8 and a life expectancy of 74.7 years. The UK has an infant mortality rate of 3.8 and a life expectancy of 80.96 years. GDP is a useful measure but is often overused when looking at people's welfare.

The people of the UK have other advantages over the people of Mississippi.  Most notably they aren't living in fucking Mississippi.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Legbiter

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 27, 2019, 08:25:22 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 27, 2019, 08:00:05 AM
Also, Germany is a lot more decentralized than many other countries with notable centers of value creation spread more throughout.

Interesting that the old Holy Roman Empire is now the economic powerhouse of Europe while the old highly-centralised states, that used to bully the HRE, lag behind  :cool:

Holy Roman Empire, European disunion done right.  ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 27, 2019, 08:12:14 AM

Or Milan being the economic capital of Italy.  :P Venetia does very well too.
Rome, even the Latium thanks to Rome, is still way ahead of the South, which sometimes includes Rome.

Not if you ask a Roman.  :P

I wonder if the cases of Germany and Italy are also influenced by them unifying only after industrialization was well underway.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on June 28, 2019, 06:18:09 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 27, 2019, 08:12:14 AM

Or Milan being the economic capital of Italy.  :P Venetia does very well too.
Rome, even the Latium thanks to Rome, is still way ahead of the South, which sometimes includes Rome.

Not if you ask a Roman.  :P

Nobody in Rome wants to be part of the Mezzogiorno indeed. Never said Romans wanted to be included in it. Of course, Padanians like to include Rome in the South.  :P

Zanza

Northern Italy has been among the richest regions in Europe since the Middle Ages, so that's not really new.

Tamas

Since the referendum, the EU has made a trade deal with Australia, a MASSIVE free trade one with Japan, and now apparently an even bigger one with 4 South American countries. And we are leaving because the evil EU wouldn't let us trade freely with the world.  :lol:

:(

Josquius

Remember though what the average voter thinks that means.
They literally think we aren't allowed to buy things from China.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on June 28, 2019, 03:03:44 PM
Since the referendum, the EU has made a trade deal with Australia, a MASSIVE free trade one with Japan, and now apparently an even bigger one with 4 South American countries. And we are leaving because the evil EU wouldn't let us trade freely with the world.  :lol:

:(

Well in fairness I'd rather live on my feet than die on my knees.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Farage and his posse of assclowns turned their back on the musicians when the European Anthem (from Beethoven's 9th symphony) was played in the opening session of the European Parliament. Such class and tact. One comment I read was: "Brexiters looking back while the rest of Europe looks forward."

Admiral Yi

What's the deal with the folks sitting down?