Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

A joke. That's one of the lib dems (Jo Swinson) is currently running for leader of her party. The tweet had the following text: Leadership campaigns can be tough. Sometimes you need to relax... #JoinJo
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Johnson's 'pivot' towards a no deal brexit come what may, to secure the hardline/extremist wing of the tory membership, really does mean we're now in the hands of the extremists.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

...and you know who is at fault when we get a recession post-no-deal-brexit?

That's right, the remoaners, the EU and the bloody foreigners.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 26, 2019, 09:29:43 AM
...and you know who is at fault when we get a recession post-no-deal-brexit?

That's right, the remoaners, the EU and the bloody foreigners.

:yes:

Exactly, almost like they're be fellowing someone else's script.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

OttoVonBismarck

Is this still going on? It's at the point now where they just need to kick Britain out of the EU and relegate the country to the dustbin of history where it belongs.

Tonitrus

We can always adopt Britain into a North American Atlantic Free Trade Agreement.  :)

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 26, 2019, 01:07:55 PM
We can always adopt Britain into a North American Atlantic Free Trade Agreement.  :)

The American-UK union.

USUK
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

This is getting too complicated.  How about just Oceania.

Tamas

I guess there could be real thriving business for London in becoming a services hub for the US. What the rest of the country would get out of ditching the EU and attaching ourselves to America, I do not know.

Funny how the latter voted to Leave and the former to Remain.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on June 26, 2019, 02:34:41 PM
I guess there could be real thriving business for London in becoming a services hub for the US. What the rest of the country would get out of ditching the EU and attaching ourselves to America, I do not know.

Funny how the latter voted to Leave and the former to Remain.

Yes, every analysis says the same thing. London will do OK, with the planned mass deregulation the rich there could even thrive.
But the poor saps elsewhere?
Self-destruction is their choice
██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

It's not often talked about, but outside of the London area the UK is poorer than Mississippi, so the reality is the rest of the country was already basically an economic mess and unlikely to ever be otherwise. Britain is a poor country with a very rich capital.

ulmont

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 26, 2019, 03:34:17 PM
It's not often talked about, but outside of the London area the UK is poorer than Mississippi, so the reality is the rest of the country was already basically an economic mess and unlikely to ever be otherwise. Britain is a poor country with a very rich capital.

Do you have a cite?  I have Mississippi with a per capita income of $22,500 or £17,730.  Meanwhile, while it is difficult to completely compare, I see that all NUTS1 regions of the UK have a per capita gross disposable household income (after paying direct and indirect taxes and receiving direct benefits) of at least £15,754, and I find it hard to believe that taxes in the UK are less than the 11.1% it would take to even that out. 

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/MS,US/INC910217
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/regionalaccounts/grossdisposablehouseholdincome/bulletins/regionalgrossdisposablehouseholdincomegdhi/1997to2017

Iormlund

A more enlightening stat is the comparison to other EU regions:

Essentially if you take London out of the equation you are left with Spain or Italy.

alfred russel

Quote from: ulmont on June 26, 2019, 04:14:03 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 26, 2019, 03:34:17 PM

Do you have a cite?  I have Mississippi with a per capita income of $22,500 or £17,730.  Meanwhile, while it is difficult to completely compare, I see that all NUTS1 regions of the UK have a per capita gross disposable household income (after paying direct and indirect taxes and receiving direct benefits) of at least £15,754, and I find it hard to believe that taxes in the UK are less than the 11.1% it would take to even that out. 

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/MS,US/INC910217
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/regionalaccounts/grossdisposablehouseholdincome/bulletins/regionalgrossdisposablehouseholdincomegdhi/1997to2017

That is a bizarrely low value from the census bureau. US GDP was over $19 trillion in 2017. If per capita income in the US was really around the $31k they report, the GDP would be around $10 trillion.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014