Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Brain

:huh:

OED: Brexit = "the (proposed) withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union, and the political process associated with it"
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

So this possible extension isn't a done deal by a long chalk.   :hmm:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Time now for cooler heads to prevail?

Brexit: UK and EU agree Brexit delay to 31 October11 April 2019 

The UK and the EU have agreed a "flexible extension" of Brexit until 31 October, European Council president Donald Tusk has said.

The agreement was reached after five hours of talks at an emergency EU summit in Brussels.

The PM earlier told leaders she wanted to move the UK's exit date from Friday to 30 June.

The EU had been split over the length of delay to offer the UK and by law they had to reach a unanimous decision.

The BBC's Katya Adler said that an extension to 31 October extension would be an indication that French President Emmanuel Macron had "won the day" as his was the most hardline voice in the room.

Malta's prime minister Joseph Muscat said a 31 October deadline was "sensible" as it "gives time to UK to finally choose its way".

Full item here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47889404
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

There goes the EU's deadline credibility.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 10, 2019, 03:15:41 PM
Point is by your own definition, Argentina isn't a disaster.  It's a non-disaster like the University of Miami football team - still a respectable program even if far from past glories.  It's not a true disaster like Ken Dorsey's NFL career.

I never defined a disaster. However, Argentina is a disaster. This may have been Argentine propaganda, but I've heard that at some point in the early 20th century its per capita income was around 4th in the world and well above most of Europe (considering the European immigration it got, the latter is most likely at least partly factual).

You can read about its current state here.

https://countryeconomy.com/gdp/argentina

Ken Dorsey lasted 6 years as a QB in the NFL...he has also gone on to be an assistant coach in the league...not sure how you are defining a total disaster but that doesn't seem to be Dorsey.

The University of Miami football team is a disaster.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 10, 2019, 07:24:37 PM

I am sure the EU would be fine extending it indefinitely.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2019, 09:40:41 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 10, 2019, 07:24:37 PM

I am sure the EU would be fine extending it indefinitely.

Then they shouldn't have announced the deadline in the first place.

Admiral Yi

Another thing is it gives heart to the chinless "we hold all the cards!" loons.

Tamas

Yeah, the EU should have called Parliament's bluff, they would have accepted the EU's offer then. Now we are scheduled to have Meaningful Vote 6 in September.

Tamas

After browsing some reactions: this is a pointless extension clearly.

Politics.co.uk which is pro-Remain: the extension is great because Remainers now have a chance to turn the whole thing around

David Davis, the Leaver muppet: the extension is great because now the backstop can be changed

SNP: the extension is great because now we can have a second referendum

Basically, everyone is relieved they don't have to compromise and can continue to blindly follow their own shtick like for the past three years.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on April 10, 2019, 11:51:30 PM
Yeah, the EU should have called Parliament's bluff, they would have accepted the EU's offer then. Now we are scheduled to have Meaningful Vote 6 in September.

Well from reporting EU was all in for delaying, only Macron was a hold out that the others found irritating.  Meanwhile Macron is trying to style himself the protector of the European project.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on April 11, 2019, 04:31:02 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 10, 2019, 11:51:30 PM

Well from reporting EU was all in for delaying, only Macron was a hold out that the others found irritating.  Meanwhile Macron is trying to style himself the protector of the European project.

Frankly, he IS at this stage. With this extension, the EU has managed to embroil itself and import the British political crisis. It was a horrible idea from their point of view.

Tamas

QuoteAndrea Leadsom, the leader of the Commons, has just confirmed that, if MPs a motion on the order paper today, the house will rise for the Easter recess this afternoon and not return until Tuesday 23 April.

And she has just announced the business for the first week after Easter, which does not include any Brexit indicative votes, or the introduction of the long-awaited EU withdrawal agreement bill.

:bowler:

celedhring

Personally, I'm loving the fact that the new extension finishes on Halloween.

Anyway, what should happen imho is that either:

a) The PM and the Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition sit down for real and come up with something that can be passed by Parliament and accepted by the EU.

b) Failing that, an election is called to produce a mandate for SOMETHING

c) Failing that, a referendum is called to produce a mandate for SOMETHING

That's from a foreigner's PoV, of course.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on April 11, 2019, 05:35:22 AM
QuoteAndrea Leadsom, the leader of the Commons, has just confirmed that, if MPs a motion on the order paper today, the house will rise for the Easter recess this afternoon and not return until Tuesday 23 April.

And she has just announced the business for the first week after Easter, which does not include any Brexit indicative votes, or the introduction of the long-awaited EU withdrawal agreement bill.

:bowler:

We shall muddle onward to victory!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."