Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on April 10, 2019, 12:29:06 PM
Decisions that enabled major financial crises were disastrous (we can quibble regarding what those were). Argentina was at one time one of the wealthiest countries on earth per capita: no longer: the decisions to get there were disastrous. There are numerous examples I'd consider to be disastrous.

Name one decision that qualifies.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Vigorously disagree. Decisions that led to major wars were disastrous. Decisions that enabled major financial crises were disastrous (we can quibble regarding what those were). Argentina was at one time one of the wealthiest countries on earth per capita: no longer: the decisions to get there were disastrous. There are numerous examples I'd consider to be disastrous.

But if the negative results cause you just to fall to the 24th country in the world in per capita income and your growth is at the lower end of the range in europe? Meh...

I'm no expert on Argentinian history, but I have a passing familiarity with it.  I would have thought there was no single disaster that happened there - only a long serious of poor policy choices that in total lead to disaster.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 10, 2019, 01:11:55 PM
Decisions that enabled major financial crises were disastrous (we can quibble regarding what those were). Argentina was at one time one of the wealthiest countries on earth per capita: no longer: the decisions to get there were disastrous. There are numerous examples I'd consider to be disastrous.

Name one decision that qualifies.

The decision to invade Poland.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

frunk

Quote from: alfred russel on April 10, 2019, 01:24:08 PM

The USSR survived that and inside of 6 years was one of two world powers. 

alfred russel

Quote from: frunk on April 10, 2019, 01:28:36 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 10, 2019, 01:24:08 PM

The USSR survived that and inside of 6 years was one of two world powers.

Touche.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on April 10, 2019, 01:21:21 PM
I'm no expert on Argentinian history, but I have a passing familiarity with it.  I would have thought there was no single disaster that happened there - only a long serious of poor policy choices that in total lead to disaster.

Right and even now it isn't a disaster in Alfredian terms.  It's an upper middle income country with an economy similar to an Eastern European level, still safely above the Latin American average.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

May explains Merkel her newest plan:

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 10, 2019, 02:26:02 PM
Right and even now it isn't a disaster in Alfredian terms.  It's an upper middle income country with an economy similar to an Eastern European level, still safely above the Latin American average.

I'm so confused...Argentina was introduced into this discussion by me as an example of a disaster.

The Minsky Moment

Point is by your own definition, Argentina isn't a disaster.  It's a non-disaster like the University of Miami football team - still a respectable program even if far from past glories.  It's not a true disaster like Ken Dorsey's NFL career.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 10, 2019, 03:15:41 PM
Point is by your own definition, Argentina isn't a disaster.  It's a non-disaster like the University of Miami football team - still a respectable program even if far from past glories.  It's not a true disaster like Ken Dorsey's NFL career.

Meow!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Joan, your definition of disaster on the other hand makes it impossible, since given enough time economies will recover from anything.

The Minsky Moment

I'm not defining disaster per se, I'm saying it's not the right standard for evaluating policy.  The relevant categories are the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Brexit hits the last two and whiffs on the first.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on April 10, 2019, 12:00:48 PM
Yesterday I witnessed the first real life usage of Brexitear. We were at a party, somebody said goodbye to everybody (hugs and all) saying he had to leave because stuff, but then he stayed on for like an hour more, and people started joking he was "brexiting us".

Oh man, I am so going to use that  :D

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 10, 2019, 03:15:41 PM

So, Brexit = Baltimore Orioles?

Valmy

Brexit = Chris Davis
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."