Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 20, 2019, 09:11:58 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2019, 05:49:01 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 20, 2019, 05:30:47 PM
I am still amazed by the total failure of politics in a mature democracy.  This is the sort of bullshit you see in Argentina or Greece.

No, it's two prime ministers putting internal party politics ahead of the national interest and then every other political leader failing to understand the dangers in the brexit process.

So not a total failure, there's still a chance the moderate politicians will act in the face of this far-right shift in UK politics.

Who are the moderate politicians?

I don't have to prove a negative so to speak.

All of this a plague on all of your houses is getting tiresome, by that I mean people writing off all politicians as corrupt or self-serving. And it's a narrative that the 'man in the street' is loving harping on about.

There are plenty of decent politicians in parliament, it's unfortunate that the barely functioning government is now the plaything of the extreme right.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on March 20, 2019, 09:36:26 PM
Theresa May basically attacked parliament in a very populist and authoritarian speech. All this taking back control for her was always about more government power, not more democracy. Shows her real personality.

Indeed and Tamas can fill us in on the details of how this develops further.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2019, 09:42:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 20, 2019, 09:11:58 PM
I am still amazed by the total failure of politics in a mature democracy.  This is the sort of bullshit you see in Argentina or Greece.

No, it's two prime ministers putting internal party politics ahead of the national interest and then every other political leader failing to understand the dangers in the brexit process.

So not a total failure, there's still a chance the moderate politicians will act in the face of this far-right shift in UK politics.

Who are the moderate politicians?

I don't have to prove a negative so to speak.

All of this a plague on all of your houses is getting tiresome, by that I mean people writing off all politicians as corrupt or self-serving. And it's a narrative that the 'man in the street' is loving harping on about.

There are plenty of decent politicians in parliament, it's unfortunate that the barely functioning government is now the plaything of the extreme right.

I wasn't asking you to prove a negative.  You said that a moderate politician could still act.  I can't help but ask you who that politician is.

Putting this all on the extreme right seems disingenuous.  It's not like there was just a small handful of Neo-Nazis who voted.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on March 20, 2019, 09:24:02 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 20, 2019, 06:03:24 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2019, 04:39:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2019, 04:36:56 PM
If somehow Britain decided it wanted to remain after all, the EU states would have to approve it, right?  Not automatic?

The UK can rescind Article 50 unilaterally, according to a recent ruling from the ECJ.

They were told to deliver that ruling, so I guess the system works.
Who told them to deliver that ruling? The Commission argued differently.

Besides, the ECJ is not an EU institution, but a pan-European one (hence why e.g. Russia occasionally gets dragged in front of it).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

I think I have said this before, the "chaos" I regard as a good thing. The leaders of our two main parties are people who put their party (and the most tribalistic and sectarian parts of their parties) ahead of the country. For parliament to tamely roll over and indulge them would have been a far worse thing than the chaos.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2019, 05:45:43 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 20, 2019, 05:16:25 PM
Petition to revoke A50 for UK voters (and residents?) to sign if they like. Made me feel marginally better :

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

Thanks. First petition I've ever signed, online or otherwise. :)

410k and counting  :)

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 21, 2019, 01:58:09 AM

I think I have said this before, the "chaos" I regard as a good thing. The leaders of our two main parties are people who put their party (and the most tribalistic and sectarian parts of their parties) ahead of the country. For parliament to tamely roll over and indulge them would have been a far worse thing than the chaos.

Good point.

As for May, she is not dangerous IMHO, she is unpopular both with MPs and the people. Who will come after her following 3 years of concentrated effort to erode trust and respect for parliamentary democracy is the big question.

She sure is growing increasingly desperate. She can't let go of power but no way she seriously thinks her party will have her as their next PM-candidate following a speech like that. Even Tories must have a degree of self-respect.

garbon

Quotedangerous /ˈdānj(ə)rəs/
adjective
a) able or likely to cause harm or injury
b) likely to cause problems or to have adverse consequences

Seems like those would adequately describe May's tenure.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

I meant it as a reply for Monger's suggestion that she may turn into one of these democracy-abolishing strongpersons.

Tamas

I am worried about the apparent detachment from reality by large number of MPs though. Apparently a "cross party consensus" is building over implementing a Norway++ system where we stay in the single market and we get a super special customs union with the EU.

1. That could be negotiated while under the currently proposed withdrawal agreement. They totally not understand what the present trouble is about.

2. Do they seriously think the EU will agree to restart 2 years worth of negotiations in literally the last moment, if by some miracle they manage to scrape together a tight majority for a single motion opposed by the government?

Richard Hakluyt

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 21, 2019, 05:36:03 AM
The petitions website has crashed due to the volume of traffic :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/21/petitions-site-crashes-after-thousands-back-call-to-revoke-article-50

I have heard that some people signing the petition are not actually UK citizens, and are actually eastern Europeans working in the UK.

:P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

UK residents are allowed to sign in fact you can indicate whether you're a citizen or a resident, Alfred Dorsey Guller.

Syt

Btw, it's been 1,000 days since the Brexit vote.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2019, 06:18:07 AM
UK residents are allowed to sign in fact you can indicate whether you're a citizen or a resident, Alfred Dorsey Guller.

Sounds like I heard correctly then.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014