Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

Another factor are the European parliament elections on 23rd May. A large consignment of right-wing nutters are expected to win seats. The last thing the EU wants is a fractious UK contributing a large contingent of UKIP (who are now overtly racist btw) MEPs.

Iormlund

Quote from: ulmont on March 20, 2019, 12:31:07 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2019, 11:41:09 AM
As the Guardian summarises it, Tusk's ultimatium means May's deal or no deal.

This isn't true.  Or at least, it's misleading.  There are at least 2 other possibilities.

• May's deal.
  • No deal Brexit.
  • No deal, withdraw Article 50, UK remains in the EU.
  • No deal now, withdraw Article 50, negotiate a different deal, resubmit Article 50.

The EU is only bound to negotiate a withdrawal if A50 is used in good faith. So that last one is out.

Iormlund

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 20, 2019, 11:52:07 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2019, 11:32:45 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 20, 2019, 11:26:47 AM
Why is the EU playing hardball like that?

Because they think if they just give a blank checque nothing will change and they are right.

Doesn't an extension just extend the status quo, which would then allow political events in Britain to finally reject any version of Brexit?  The May deal seems like a less attractive result.

Nothing we have seen so far seems to indicate that another three months would change anything. May would just run down the clock again looking for meaningful votes #4, 5, 6 ...

The UK doesn't need time. It needs to make a decision. Now works better than in three months.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2019, 11:41:09 AM
As the Guardian summarises it, Tusk's ultimatium means May's deal or no deal.

Which has been the reality since November, so it is good an adult finally has said it.

EDIT: but it also makes Saturday's massive pro-2nd referendum March in London utterly useless.

Well wait isn't there a third option here? May's deal, no deal, or remain?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on March 20, 2019, 11:49:14 AM
Not that I'm a real Brussels expert, but I didn't expect them to play hardball like that.

I am not surprised at all. Once the banner of nationalism gets waved in Europe everything gets a little more vicious. Is it any surprise the rest of the Europeans would start to resent the contempt the UK clearly feels for them? I know you talk about rational interests but the UK opened up the Pandora's Box of centuries past.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Awful offer from Europe. We are  basically fucked it seems. We accept May's deal then its either hard brexit or hard brexit.
Better than no deal, but still, a disaster.
██████
██████
██████

ulmont

Quote from: Iormlund on March 20, 2019, 01:04:29 PM
The EU is only bound to negotiate a withdrawal if A50 is used in good faith. So that last one is out.

A longer delay would not necessarily show bad faith, just that the UK doesn't know what the hell it's doing.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2019, 09:23:33 AM
Quote from: HVC on March 20, 2019, 09:21:49 AM
Quote from: Threviel on March 20, 2019, 09:10:47 AM
It would be amusing if the EU made it clear to the scots that they are welcome after an eventual hard brexit. And any other splinter countries.

Would spain let that become a policy?

IIRC some woman/youth football tourney just got moved from Spain to Switzerland because they wouldn't allow Kosovo to play their anthem. I highly doubt they would let an independent Scotland save itself from ruin by (re-)joining the EU.

Spain's official position is to not veto Scotland into the EU, as long as the independence was legal within the UK's constitutional framework. Kosovo gets given the cold shoulder because it was an UDI - Spain's position there is to recognize them once Serbia does.

Mainly Spain is against unilateral independences, not independences per se.

Tamas

Corbyn has walked out of the all-party meeting called by May at No.10 because Chuka Umunna from the Independent Group was there as well and he was "not a proper party leader".

:lol: There's another great leader. Prioritising his own bruised ego over a national crisis.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2019, 02:46:25 PM
Corbyn has walked out of the all-party meeting called by May at No.10 because Chuka Umunna from the Independent Group was there as well and he was "not a proper party leader".

:lol: There's another great leader. Prioritising his own bruised ego over a national crisis.

If true, what a colossal wanker.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2019, 02:48:57 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2019, 02:46:25 PM

If true, what a colossal wanker.

It is, other party leaders, Vince Cable in particular, have confirmed.

Josquius

There might be hope. Apparently there'll be an amendment to the deal that it is contingent on a referendum. Finally pulling the trigger.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 20, 2019, 03:03:44 PM
There might be hope. Apparently there'll be an amendment to the deal that it is contingent on a referendum. Finally pulling the trigger.

Is the EU game with that? :)

Tamas

So maybe I've missed something but the big May speech was just a justification of why she insist on a delay only to 30th of June (it's because pesky MPs playing politics BTW).

No mention of the fact that June 30th is now conditional on the Withdrawal Agreement accepted by Parliament before the 29th.

This bloody speech was decided on and written before Tusk's reply and she didn't bother to update it.

garbon

She also basically said nothing that she hasn't said before.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.