Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on March 20, 2019, 05:10:18 AM
Interesting idea someone came up with that I hope comes to pass: lib dems, greens, possibly SNP and Plaid, run in European elections under a common "remain" ticket.

What would be the point of this?  Telling the world it's not their fault?

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2019, 06:09:15 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 20, 2019, 05:10:18 AM
Interesting idea someone came up with that I hope comes to pass: lib dems, greens, possibly SNP and Plaid, run in European elections under a common "remain" ticket.

What would be the point of this?  Telling the world it's not their fault?

I think the idea is that they'd gain the majority of votes thus proving to everyone that people now want to Remain.

celedhring

SNP's position is quite interesting. Scots are majority remainers, and I don't doubt SNP are pro-EU. But on a cynical approach the harsher Brexit, the more likely they could get independence (even if a hard border between Scotland and England would be a terrible, terrible idea).

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2019, 06:52:47 AM
SNP's position is quite interesting. Scots are majority remainers, and I don't doubt SNP are pro-EU. But on a cynical approach the harsher Brexit, the more likely they could get independence (even if a hard border between Scotland and England would be a terrible, terrible idea).

Yeah. Publicly they have no choice but to push for remain I think (or a soft brexit at the very least) but I am pretty sure the zealots among them are hoping for no deal or a hard brexit, so they can re-start pushing the agenda.

Threviel

It would be amusing if the EU made it clear to the scots that they are welcome after an eventual hard brexit. And any other splinter countries.

HVC

Quote from: Threviel on March 20, 2019, 09:10:47 AM
It would be amusing if the EU made it clear to the scots that they are welcome after an eventual hard brexit. And any other splinter countries.

Would spain let that become a policy?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on March 20, 2019, 09:21:49 AM
Quote from: Threviel on March 20, 2019, 09:10:47 AM

Would spain let that become a policy?

IIRC some woman/youth football tourney just got moved from Spain to Switzerland because they wouldn't allow Kosovo to play their anthem. I highly doubt they would let an independent Scotland save itself from ruin by (re-)joining the EU.

Tamas

Meanwhile, delay request to the 30th of June is now official, but I fail to see any other plan in May's letter to Tusk than a 3rd run at her deal.

Latest rumour is that Macron is going to say 'Le Nuts!' tomorrow to any extension.

Threviel

You guys and your spanners.

Good on Macron I say, it's quite obvious that the UK is not going to be able to make a deal stick until June. Put the sick dog out of its misery. But I have a hard time believing that is going to happen, the EU is the grownup in the room and it would probably be best for it to be adult and diplomatic.

Syt

A long time later, but this is still the best Brexit picture, from one of the the first meetings.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Yes indeed. It just shows everything, doesn't it.

Tamas

QuoteOpposition leaders have been invited to a meeting with the Prime Minister at 6pm, for an hour.

So I am guessing Macron's parental scolding will be used by May to plead for her deal with the opposition.

Although the Tories made a massive deal out of the ruling of not being allowed a 3rd voting without changes (great excuse to avoid a 3rd defeat), if they otherwise have a majority for the deal they could just vote beforehand to allow skipping the no-repetetition rule and be done with it.

Threviel

Amazing really that Macron is seen as some great European leader and at the same time he seems to be losing popularity very fast at home. Whats his ratings nowadays?

mongers

Can this thread be subtitled "Watching your country go down the pan" ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"