Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

It also tells you that the ice has not travelled far, so useful for people concerned about climate change.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on December 14, 2018, 06:41:25 AM
To be fair, every country does crap like that.

On agricultural produce, yeah. But on ice cubes it seems kind of inane. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

QuoteBREAKING Westminster Bridge blocked by pro-Brexit yellow vest protesters

Is it: happening?!

So I wonder: are they protesting for crashing out or what?

Tamas

They don't seem to match the numbers of the anti-Brexit demonstration so far, though. To put it mildly.

Richard Hakluyt

Surely that is just a group of British workmen idling about as usual?

garbon

There's a yellow fire marshal vest in my office. Should I get down there? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Separatists are trying to get a yellow vest thing started over here too. I still find it a rather uninspired choice of revolutionary garb.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on December 14, 2018, 08:25:01 AM
Separatists are trying to get a yellow vest thing started over here too. I still find it a rather uninspired choice of revolutionary garb.

I think its clever. In everyday situations it's usually worn by the "working class" so it sends a message of identity. Plus its very visible (duh) and easy to obtain.

celedhring

I associate it with traffic wardens. I guess they are the proletariat of police forces, though.  :hmm:

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on December 14, 2018, 12:09:13 AM
QuoteThe prime minister shredded goodwill at a question and answer session with her 27 counterparts, who had arrived in Brussels promising to help her but were amazed when she turned up without any developed requests or ideas.

Accounts of the meeting suggest the prime minister's speech in which she called for help to get the agreement "over the line" was repeatedly interrupted by Angela Merkel asking her what she actually wanted from them.

Senior UK government officials admitted that the prime minister did not bring any documented proposals with her to the meeting.

The approach puzzled EU diplomats, who for days before the conference had said they needed to see what proposals Ms May had come up with before they could respond to her request for aid.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-theresa-may-eu-angela-merkel-scraps-plan-meeting-juncker-european-council-summit-a8682786.html

:wacko:

The Guardian seems to prefer to stick with the official interpretation of events, where a cooperative May was shut down by a conscious effort of the EU states to refuse helping her.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 14, 2018, 07:09:56 AM
Surely that is just a group of British workmen idling about as usual?

:lol:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on December 14, 2018, 09:38:39 AM
I associate it with traffic wardens. I guess they are the proletariat of police forces, though.  :hmm:

It's what road repair workers wear here.  I have one somewhere.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

I think of school crossing guards.

Josquius

Really don't get the British alt right's hijacking of the French yellow vest protests. They've nothing to do with each other :lol:

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 14, 2018, 02:11:51 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 13, 2018, 03:44:50 PM
Its definitely fair to say that the less...with it, portion of the British population still think the UK is as powerful as it was during the times of empire.
Pretty sure some of them even think the commonwealth is basically subservient to the UK.

But is it?

I have never encountered such views. What is really common, however, is insularity and a desire to keep foreigners out of our business.

Remember the channel 4 draw the Irish border bit and the woman who said the Southern Irish lost and should just live with it?
I've definitely encountered people saying New Zealand belongs to Britain and the like.
Such a level of idiocy is uncommon. But it exists.
Those who simply don't recognise that the UK is a mid sized country and the world is a large place are far more numerous.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

https://twitter.com/antmiddleton/status/1073661776724680704

QuoteAnthony Middleton
Verified account
@antmiddleton

A 'no deal' for our country would actually be a blessing in disguise. It would force us into hardship and suffering which would unite & bring us together, bringing back British values of loyalty and a sense of community! Extreme change is needed!  #nodeal #suffertogether

"Adventurer & Explorer. Leader. Proud Dad. #zeronegativity Extreme Everest🗻 SAS:WDW⚔️Mutiny⚓️ No1 Sunday Times Best Selling Author"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.