Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

So Tyr, if rich people voted Leave, and the Midlands is a giant mass of Leave while London and the South East has big areas of Remain, does that mean that the Midlands land of riches and aristocrats screwed over England's deprived South East?

Josquius

So according to you Grimsby is in the south, even though it is further north than Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool.
Stuff like this is far from unknown.
Kaesong in North Korea is further south than a large amount of South Korea, Lisse in South Holland is to the north west of North Holland's southernmost point.
The Midlands is the Midlands.
Which is not the north.

Quote from: Tamas on November 22, 2017, 04:29:14 AM
So Tyr, if rich people voted Leave, and the Midlands is a giant mass of Leave while London and the South East has big areas of Remain, does that mean that the Midlands land of riches and aristocrats screwed over England's deprived South East?
Where are you getting rich people voted leave from?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on November 21, 2017, 10:15:46 AM
And even if consulted, the notion to have such a dramatic decision decided on a simple majority would be laughable in any democracy.

Well it wasn't based on a simple majority of the people. Both the government and Parliament agreed that Brexit was a swell idea. Seems reasonable to me to act when all these three agree on something. Democracies have ignored advisory referendum results in the past.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Gups on November 21, 2017, 10:33:43 AM
Thank you Nostratamas

You don't have any more idea of what will happen that, say, Teresa May.

He did take the time to write about 20 lines on the subject.  That indicates a level of focus well in excess of May.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

It's funny how they always talk about helping the housing market situation, but all they do is increase available money for customers, i.e. increase demand. As if that will drive the prices down. But I guess they must look like they are doing something, while avoiding doing something and pissing off most of the middle class.

Josquius

It'll be a while before they do anything on housing. It is understandable why.
Whilst the housing shortage is causing great pain to millennials, who are very unlikely to ever vote conservative anyway, it is something that older generations actually quite like (house prices rising year upon year).
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

You know the way brexiters like to moan about the EU blackmailing Britain.....

Seem the Tories have decided blackmail is a good strategy to actually take.
No deal on the Irish border until they get a trade deal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42129759

So basically , in a round about fashion, they're threatening war (as thats what a hard border in Ireland could very well give us) unless they get their demands
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

What's there to say about the Irish border? Brexit means Brexit.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on November 26, 2017, 12:01:50 PM

An Irish border may well cause a bit of trouble.

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on November 26, 2017, 12:09:58 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 26, 2017, 12:01:50 PM

An Irish border may well cause a bit of trouble.

The UK already decided that leaving the EU is a great thing.

Tamas

Just because one senior member of the government said something, it doesn't mean we won't hear 4 different things from 3 other members in the next 48 hours. Then May will make a strong and stable stand on one of these options, then contradict herself 3 times on it before falling silent and hoping everyone forgets she ever said anything.

However, while Republic of Ireland says no deal with  UK unless an open border is guaranteed, the coalition partners of the Tories (DUP, I believe they are called), declared that they will not let an internal border within the UK form. The two of course are mutually exclusive. Fabulous.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on November 26, 2017, 12:44:02 PM
However, while Republic of Ireland says no deal with  UK unless an open border is guaranteed, the coalition partners of the Tories (DUP, I believe they are called), declared that they will not let an internal border within the UK form. The two of course are mutually exclusive. Fabulous.

Kind of makes sense as if they've that easy connection to Ireland and the benefits of the customs union, not so far to one day wonder why they are sticking with the UK.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I believe the DUP are angling for having their cake and eating it.
If they could keep northern Ireland a full part of the UK, customs borders and all, and keep open borders with the Republic, then Northern Ireland would naturally stand to suck  in a huge chunk of investment as the most viable place in the uk to do business.
Which of course will never happen.

It's just insane that Ireland was not given more consideration at referendum time.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on November 27, 2017, 07:03:07 AM
If they could keep northern Ireland a full part of the UK, customs borders and all, and keep open borders with the Republic, then Northern Ireland would naturally stand to suck  in a huge chunk of investment as the most viable place in the uk to do business.

It's just insane that Ireland was not given more consideration at referendum time.

I don't know how you could make that work though. Either you have a "border" between NI and the UK for goods and people or you have it between Ireland and NI. Otherwise Ireland becomes a backdoor to the Single Market.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on November 27, 2017, 07:08:39 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 27, 2017, 07:03:07 AM

I don't know how you could make that work though. Either you have a "border" between NI and the UK for goods and people or you have it between Ireland and NI. Otherwise Ireland becomes a backdoor to the Single Market.

yeah, that's just not going to happen.