Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on July 17, 2017, 04:37:37 AM

One side knows exactly what they want. The other side is poorly prepared and has to rely on detailed dossiers with their negotiation position. Right?

The Minsky Moment

Crappy conference room.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Needs more PowerPoint.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Needs more diversity. Surely the EU and UK have more than white people in boring clothes with boring haircuts.

Creepy ass crackers.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

I must say I am very annoyed by the EU side still pushing for ECJ jurisdiction over EU citizens in the UK post-Brexit.

That is a totally unrealistic expectation, and also an irrelevant one: first of all the UK would keep to the agreed conditions I think, and if not, they will surely not bother post-Brexit with what opinion the ECJ has over it. How would they enforce it if the ECJ disallowed a change in British laws freezing EU citizens in second-class status? Invade the island?

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Project Fear!!!!!

Josquius

I read today things were looking good for a transition deal.
Step by step hopefully we will reach  a Swiss agreement at worst. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on July 20, 2017, 06:33:22 AM
I must say I am very annoyed by the EU side still pushing for ECJ jurisdiction over EU citizens in the UK post-Brexit.

That is a totally unrealistic expectation, and also an irrelevant one: first of all the UK would keep to the agreed conditions I think, and if not, they will surely not bother post-Brexit with what opinion the ECJ has over it. How would they enforce it if the ECJ disallowed a change in British laws freezing EU citizens in second-class status? Invade the island?
Yes, that does not make any sense. Just as silly as Britain leaving Euratom over ECJ jurisdiction.

Tamas

Looks like Labour is very much divided on the free market and customs union issue.

Particularly funny is that the hard Brexit Tories don't want the EU meddling in their trade deals because they don't want limits on the the free trade agreement they'd make with the USA. The Labour hard Brexiters don't want EU meddling in the future free trade deal with the USA because they think the EU would not be limiting enough (in agriculture in particular).

Zanza

That's actually why a trade deal between the UK and EU is so complicated. At the moment, the UK and the EU have 100% convergence on regulations that are in the EU's responsibility. All trade deals in the history of the EU have always been about increasing convergence whether internally (Single European Act) or externally (every single FTA concluded). The UK however wants to increase divergence from existing regulation - presumably to gain competitive advantage in international trade ("Global Britain"). So what's in there for the EU if the UK only plans to diverge ever more after a "comprehensive deal" has been agreed in the next years?

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on July 24, 2017, 11:40:49 AM
That's actually why a trade deal between the UK and EU is so complicated. At the moment, the UK and the EU have 100% convergence on regulations that are in the EU's responsibility. All trade deals in the history of the EU have always been about increasing convergence whether internally (Single European Act) or externally (every single FTA concluded). The UK however wants to increase divergence from existing regulation - presumably to gain competitive advantage in international trade ("Global Britain"). So what's in there for the EU if the UK only plans to diverge ever more after a "comprehensive deal" has been agreed in the next years?

All I know is that both the Tories and the Labour party want a deal where we enjoy similar benefits to the single market and the customs union, without being tied down by membership in either.

So, the British position is clear, now it is up to the EU to make this happen!!!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Ok you need to stop that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Okay.  That's all for today.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall