Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on November 23, 2020, 03:42:07 AM
I've noticed since PM Cummings resigned members of government are allowed back on ITV's morning program. Kind of an embarrassing admission that a self-important twat with no official power kept them off this long, isn't it.
Yeah the government announced an end to that petty fight as soon as Cummings and Cain left. And I think they announced that ministers wouldn't be going on when they started their boycott.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/nov/15/downing-street-lifts-boycott-of-itvs-good-morning-britain
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

From the Economist https://www.economist.com/britain/2020/11/21/in-search-of-a-modern-machiavelli :

"When Dominic Cummings, Boris Johnson's chief adviser until last week, leaves a room, he likes to make a childish gesture: he pulls a pin out of an imaginary grenade, and tosses it over his shoulder...."  :blink:

What a fucking unmitigated wanker that man is. I hope he goes back to his old job as a bouncer at Klute.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on November 23, 2020, 06:17:51 AM
Since I usually just diss the UK in this thread, perhaps this is the best place to mention that the data available re. the pandemic from various sources like the daily map updates and the rest are absolutely excellent when compared to what you can get from official sources in Hungary.

The best comparison I have seen is a set of basic data assembled into graphs by a (liberal) online news site, with them working hard to gather it piecemeal from various sources, because transparency is quite clearly a word that's shunned in official Hungarian circles.
:lol: It took a long time to get there. I don't think the government were ever deliberately trying to hide data but I think it took quite a lot of work and crticism to get to the current dashboard, which is pretty good.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Tamas

So yesterday Johnson said we'd have stricter tiers from next week, now today I heard Tier 1 will allow fans back to stadiums?

Sheilbh

Rumours that Labour would vote for a deal if Johnson gets one - which further diminishes the (limited) leverage of the Brexit ultras and is probably the right approach both from it being better for the country and, probably, better politically.
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on November 24, 2020, 05:58:32 AM
So yesterday Johnson said we'd have stricter tiers from next week, now today I heard Tier 1 will allow fans back to stadiums?

And tier 2.

Tier 1 max of 4,000 (or half capacity, whichever is smaller)
Tier 2 max 2,000 or half capacity
Tier 3 - no

Tamas

Sheilbh

But no singing or shouting. I can't imagine a safer activity - especially giving gyms are re-opening in all tiers.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Covid is a Kickstarter in the UK?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 24, 2020, 08:55:50 AM
gyms are re-opening in all tiers.

:bleeding:

Why do we bother with this whole lockdown thing then?

mongers

Quote from: Gups on November 24, 2020, 08:35:05 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 24, 2020, 05:58:32 AM

And tier 2.

Tier 1 max of 4,000 (or half capacity, whichever is smaller)
Tier 2 max 2,000 or half capacity
Tier 3 - no

Because who doesn't want a few more super-spreader events for Christmas.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Canada and the UK signed a new trade deal.  Problem is neither will release the text of the trade deal or give any details of the terms of the deal.  Business leaders just have to take it on faith that there is a deal of some sort that will govern trade at some point that has something to do with aligning with the principle of free trade.

Great, just great.

chipwich

Did Canada actually confirm a trade deal exists?

Grey Fox

Yes.

Our PM said there was one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.