Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

Oh we will just get on with it and the results will be vaguely disappointing for the brexiters and, you know what, fuck 'em  :P

celedhring

My idea of "social unrest" in the UK is essentially:

viper37

I love that drawing! :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Brexit will fuck up the UK medium to long term, starting next year, then when Scotland leaves, then when Ireland is de facto reunited, then when you slowly become USA-lite. Social unrest will come eventually.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on February 18, 2020, 04:57:56 PM
Brexit will fuck up the UK medium to long term, starting next year, then when Scotland leaves, then when Ireland is de facto reunited, then when you slowly become USA-lite. Social unrest will come eventually.

Climate change gets them before that occurs.  So silver lining? 

Josquius

Quote from: Zoupa on February 18, 2020, 04:57:56 PM

This year will probably be quite good economically. For years now companies have been holding back investment waiting on an outcome of brexit. In construction in particular there's a lot of money been held in reserve.
Now though that the end is insight a lot of this money is being released as its the last chance to do so.
This will undoubtedly be met with cheers of the quitlings that they were right.
From next year though things look set to start heading south. It's only a matter of how bad of a job the government will do.
Scottish independence isn't happening next year. Even a referendum next year seems unlikely. By the middle of the decade though I expect there to have been a referendum and independence a few years after
Ireland.... Polls at the moment suggest a lack of support for unification. I suspect a lot in the north are hoping they can be left in their half in /half out of the EU status which would make northern Ireland the best place in the British Isles to invest.
I don't see this being a viable long term option for the government however, it seems likely things could start getting bloody again by the end of the decade. Then it's just a matter of how much the protestant kids hold to tradition vs logic.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Companies moving from London to Amsterdam

Sheilbh

Priti Patel's announced the new migration system from 2021:

You need to get 70 points. The first three categories are mandatory, so you basically need 20 points to top up. Business have complained that this means they won't be able to attract "unskilled" labour from overseas. There's also concern in the NHS/social care - but I imagine those sectors can be put as a shortage occupation.

Don't know if this'll work in the long-run, but I suspect it'll be pretty popular.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Why do they need to attract unskilled labour from overseas?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 19, 2020, 08:58:52 AM

Probably construction and farm jobs
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

How much unskilled labor is required in construction in a modern country like the UK?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: The Brain on February 19, 2020, 10:14:27 AM
How much unskilled labor is required in construction in a modern country like the UK?

All construction jobs require some unskilled labor, people just to carry stuff around and such so that the actual skilled laborers (carpenters, electricians, etc.) don't have to take time out from their tasks to do the menial stuff.  But that doesn't really answer the question, 'cause I don't know how much unskilled labor is required on any given construction project, nor how many construction projects are underway or planned in the UK.  But at any rate, I doubt that there is a shortage of people in the UK with no job skills.

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on February 19, 2020, 09:56:01 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 19, 2020, 08:58:52 AM

Probably construction and farm jobs

Farm jobs are a hard fix since they are so seasonal but Construction jobs...pay more.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

UK is at less than 4% unemployment, I doubt there's going to be a huge mass of unemployed locals gushing at shit menial jobs.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on February 19, 2020, 10:33:01 AM
UK is at less than 4% unemployment, I doubt there's going to be a huge mass of unemployed locals gushing at shit menial jobs.
Pay them better?
Let's bomb Russia!