Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tonitrus

I do miss Wegmens.  :(

And Trader Joe's.

Berkut

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 11, 2019, 04:07:12 PM

And Trader Joe's.

The holy trinity:

Wegmans
Trader Joe's
Costco
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on September 11, 2019, 01:50:02 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 11, 2019, 12:37:25 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 11, 2019, 12:14:53 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 11, 2019, 11:58:50 AMmaking their own brands resemble real brands very closely....

A lot of the time their "knock offs" are produced by the same company as the branded version.

I don't get Tyr's disdain about supermarket brands, they're perfectly fine products and as you say they're produced by the very same companies that produce what he calls "real brands".

Its the deception. The dark patterns at work.
There's nothing wrong with a supermarket own-brand. This kind of thing though is just wrong:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/floperry/completely-genius-aldi-and-lidl-product-names

I really don't think they're produced by the original company

Ok, I think we were talking about different things. I thought you meant the supermarket's own products under their own brand, and what you mean appears to be some kind of weird knockoff products imitating well known brands.

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on September 11, 2019, 04:24:37 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 11, 2019, 04:07:12 PM

And Trader Joe's.

The holy trinity:

Wegmans
Trader Joe's
Costco

Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi.

I normally go to a Gerbes that's a mile from my home.  It's owned by Kroger.  I once dated a girl who worked there with one arm.  I think this story was going somewhere...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2019, 09:18:25 PM
I normally go to a Gerbes that's a mile from my home.  It's owned by Kroger.  I once dated a girl who worked there with one arm.  I think this story was going somewhere...

like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2019, 09:18:25 PM
I normally go to a Gerbes that's a mile from my home.  It's owned by Kroger.  I once dated a girl who worked there with one arm.

What was the other arm doing during work hours?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Your discussion of crappy  American supermarket chains in the Brexit thread is premature. I recon it'll be about a year from now that Johnson bends the knee to Trump after a no-deal disaster. :P

Josquius

Back on topic.
So...
the government has avoided sharing Yellowhammer as the courts ordered it to....
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on September 12, 2019, 05:54:17 AM
Back on topic.
So...

I thought they HAVE published Yellowhammer, just retracted the part about massive oil shortages that'd be due to two oil refineries closing down (with tariffs on their exports and no tariffs on British import according to plans, they won't make it). The whole thing was leaked last month and it turns out it hasn't changed since.

What they have failed to do AFAIK is releasing cabinet correspondence on no-deal preparations.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on September 12, 2019, 06:28:38 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 12, 2019, 05:54:17 AM
Back on topic.
So...

I thought they HAVE published Yellowhammer, just retracted the part about massive oil shortages that'd be due to two oil refineries closing down (with tariffs on their exports and no tariffs on British import according to plans, they won't make it). The whole thing was leaked last month and it turns out it hasn't changed since.

What they have failed to do AFAIK is releasing cabinet correspondence on no-deal preparations.

They've published a 5 page summary, with a redacted 6th page, that has all already been leaked before.
They were ordered to release the full assessments. I find it hard to believe even our government would just do 6 pages worth of assessments.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Razgovory

At this point, I finding it very believable that nobody in the British government is making any kind of assessment, plan, or contingency.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

I know people who are working on it. From what I hear from them they are doing something at work.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on September 12, 2019, 02:32:36 PM
I know people who are working on it. From what I hear from them they are doing something at work.

God I hope so.