News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I read EM Forster's "Howards End."  It took me a long time to get through because, about 100 pages in, I realized that the Schlegel sisters were about a silver cow creamer shy of being a PG Wodehouse novel and I took a break to read the Psmith stories.   :bowler:

;)

While I can understand the disdain Forster feels for the Wilcoxes; I found his admiration for the Schlegels (even if it's couched in ironic terms) baffling.  I think that's a common sentiment among Americans, the aforementioned PG Wodehouse was much more successful here than he was in the United Kingdom.  Still a fine portrait of Edwardian England though.  I liked the way that suburbanization plays the same role in this novel that industrialization does in the works of Hardy and Eliot; the unstoppable force that remakes rural England.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock