Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Paging Syt. For a Christmas present I was thinking on buying some of the new-canon Star Wars novels, since i know Syt's read some would love to know which ones don't suck. The recipient is a 30-something who is a huge Star Wars geek.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on December 13, 2018, 04:15:21 PM
Paging Syt. For a Christmas present I was thinking on buying some of the new-canon Star Wars novels, since i know Syt's read some would love to know which ones don't suck. The recipient is a 30-something who is a huge Star Wars geek.

Trouble with this is a huge 30-something Star Wars geek may have already read the new novels.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Haven't read the latest, but of new canon I've read:

- Aftermath trilogy
Liked it a lot, but the style is highly divisive - present tense, short sentences, more how you would narrate the plot to someone. Also features gay characters (though it's not a central defining trait or paraded around - this person is living with a same sex partner, or person A comes on to person B who refuses because they prefer their own gender - they later have a partner).
Covers the aftermath of Endor, the liberation of Kashyyk and the Battle of Jakku. Lots of background backstory. Also adds little vignettes/scenes showing what's happening in other parts of the galaxy. Adds some really cool characters like Grand Admiral Rae Sloane, or the murderous, childlike, dancing droid Mr Bones.

- Catalyst
Prequel novel to Rogue One, stretching from the Clone Wars to when the Ersos move to their little exile. Great backstory, doing a good job of fleshing out Krennic and Galen Erso, and making the movie better for it.

- Thrawn
About how Thrawn joined the Empire. It's all right. Also covers the rise of Governor Pryce. I don't like Zahn's style of writing; it feels amateurish, but the yarn is ok. The weakest of the books I've read.

- Twilight Company
A tie in with the first EA Battlefront game that ended up very good. Follows a Rebel infantry squad through a series of missions. It's kind of Band of Brothers in Star Wars.

- Tarkin
Early days of the Empire, with Tarkin and Vader dealing with conspiracy and sedition.

- Lost Stars
Young adult novel. Two kids from an Imperial backwater join the Imperial Academy. Alderaan becomes a turning point. She stays with the Empire, he ends up with smugglers and later Rebels. They intersect during key points of the original trilogy, and fall in love. They're reunited at the battle of Jakku in a dramatic moment. Slightly sappy at times, but I thought it was interesting to see an inside view of how Imperials dealt with the destruction of Alderaan and the Death Star, and the rationalizations they make to keep following the regime.

A link to all current canon adult novels is here (it's not many): http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Canon_adult_novels
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote- Thrawn
About how Thrawn joined the Empire. It's all right. Also covers the rise of Governor Pryce. I don't like Zahn's style of writing; it feels amateurish, but the yarn is ok. The weakest of the books I've read.

I liked it a lot, and I'm a fan of Zhan's style of writing :)

To each their own tastes. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Thanks Syt!

He loved Rogue One, might buy him the prequel one then.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2018, 04:30:41 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 13, 2018, 04:15:21 PM

Trouble with this is a huge 30-something Star Wars geek may have already read the new novels.

Checked with his wife, and he hasn't yet.

Syt

Here's a special something. A Chinese bootleg comic of original Star Wars from 1980. It seems the artist hasn't seen the movie, but probably has seen pictures of Empire, because designs from that movie keep showing up (including Mandalorians as Stormtroopers), but nothing from the original movie.

It's rather fascinating. How to tell a story you've only had narrated to you/read about? :D

The links come with translations of the Chinese texts.

http://www.nickstember.com/chinese-star-wars-comic-part-1-6/
http://www.nickstember.com/chinese-star-wars-comic-part-2-6-jedi/
http://www.nickstember.com/chinese-star-wars-comic-part-3-6-hyper-speed/
http://www.nickstember.com/chinese-star-wars-comic-part-4-of-6-thx-1138/
http://www.nickstember.com/chinese-star-wars-comic-part-5-6-find-weak-point-death-star-destroy/
http://www.nickstember.com/chinese-star-wars-comic-part-6-6/

Over 140 amazing pictures. A few here:

Capturing the princess:

Luke, Owen, and Beru having dinner:

Sandpeople:

Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi:

Tarkin, Vader, and the Princess:

Ben digs out the lightsaber for Luke:

Vader on board the Death Star:

Vader addresses a Stormtrooper squad:

In the Death Star. Or at Starfleet HQ in San Francisco, take your pick. :P

Rebels get ready, Solo gets his reward:

Luke Waves at the Millennium Falcon:

Just a small selection from a rather trippy comic.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

celedhring

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Quote from: Syt on December 17, 2018, 01:57:07 PM
It's rather fascinating. How to tell a story you've only had narrated to you/read about? :D

It's a crucial part of Dai Sije's Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, which is partly autobiographical. In it, the narrator, sent to reeducation in a distant village during the Cultural Revolution, is periodically freed from his agricultural labor to go see movies in town, and narrate them back to the village.
Que le grand cric me croque !

mongers

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 17, 2018, 03:06:03 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 17, 2018, 01:57:07 PM

It's a crucial part of Dai Sije's Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, which is partly autobiographical. In it, the narrator, sent to reeducation in a distant village during the Cultural Revolution, is periodically freed from his agricultural labor to go see movies in town, and narrate them back to the village.

:cool:

Interesting story.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on December 17, 2018, 02:56:20 PM
Love the "Kennedy Space Center" being "The Target".  :D

Perfectly coherent with the Rebel Alliance being the NASA. There's a method to the madness indeed  :lol:

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

So goofy.  Why couldn't they have just made that whole exchange from Episode I non-canon?  The whole midi-chlorians thing has been awful since it was brought up.  This is the (hopefully) final cherry on top.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."