Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2018, 08:24:19 AM
Star Wars is very well designed to tell that basic story but little else. At least that is my feeling.
the beauty of Star Wars is all the holes that can be filled by talented authors.

I recently read a novel centered on Asaj Ventress and some Jedi who appeared in one the Clone Wars episode.  I really liked that novel.  It's Star Wars, it's Good vs Evil, it's corruption and redemption, but damn, it works so well...  It's targetted at teenagers, mostly, but it's so mature compared to twilightesque-crap they get these days...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

I don't want to defend Twilight more than necessary but how is it not mature?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

I've only seen half a Twilight movie but it definitely was not mature. Outcast girl meets dark handsome stranger teenage fantasy.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 11, 2018, 01:48:31 PM
I don't want to defend Twilight more than necessary but how is it not mature?
love triangles, teenage love fantaisies, vampires that sparkle in sunlight, etc,

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Finished the first season of Clone Wars. Such an odd show - it's blatantly written as a children's program, and not a particularly sophisticated one (Rebels definitely aimed older), yet the death toll per episode can reach the thousands, with several onscreen ones.

Syt

Season 1 is incredibly uneven. If I would have to single out memorable episodes or moments it would be the Clone Trooper focused ones Rookies (with the troopers defending an outpost) and Innocents of Ryloth where Waxer and Boil find themselves in the company of a Twi'Lek child. Lair of Grievous was the first hint at some darkness in the show when one of the Junior Jedi just gets killed. And I liked the introduction of Cad Bane in the last episode of the season. One of the cooler bounty hunter characters in Star Wars.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on October 11, 2018, 05:08:58 PM
Season 1 is incredibly uneven. If I would have to single out memorable episodes or moments it would be the Clone Trooper focused ones Rookies (with the troopers defending an outpost) and Innocents of Ryloth where Waxer and Boil find themselves in the company of a Twi'Lek child. Lair of Grievous was the first hint at some darkness in the show when one of the Junior Jedi just gets killed. And I liked the introduction of Cad Bane in the last episode of the season. One of the cooler bounty hunter characters in Star Wars.

Yeah, those were definitely the highlights. I also liked the one where Ventress rescues Nute Gunray.

Syt

So, read this theory on the font of all knowledge and stupidity, reddit. TL;DR: Palpatine remote-sapped Padme's life to keep dying Anakin alive. Interesting premise, but I find the evidence flimsy.

QuotePretty much the scene of Vader's "birth" and Padme's death are synced down to the heart beats. Anakin's goes away, then Padme's does, then Vader's comes back. Suggesting Padme's death gives life to Vader. Sound design has stated this was done intentionally.

They make it explicit that the droids could not find any medical reason why she was dying. It wasn't from a broken trachea or something. Also, Obi Wan made sure she was ok before he dueled Anakin after he choked her. Something else was at play. The droid suggested her will to live was slipping which I think is the red herring. It doesn't make sense for many reasons (having just given birth is a pretty good reason to want to live, hormones and all). She hasn't given up on Anny. Something else has to be to blame/influencing her will/capacity to live. A droid cannot sense the Force. Yoda said that they had lost their ability to sense what was going on so Obi Wan was blind too.

Next, is that Palpatine told Vader Anakin killed her. He has NO way of knowing her state as she was taken by Obi Wan well before he arrived. Unless he was able to sense and possibly manipulate the strong ties/connection between the two through the Force. His knowing about Padme is a clue that he played a part.

The smirk/smile is what sells it imo. Palpatine says "you killed her", Vader cracks and is fully under his control, and he knows that his plans have come to fruition. By blaming Vader for what he (Palpatine) did, he can leverage that guilt to his own ends. It's all manipulation through lies. Also, Padme alive was the greatest threat to his plans and capacity to control Vader. She needed to be out of the picture, and convincing Vader he was to blame is the best way.

And finally, the whole point of Anakin teaming up with Palpatine was to use the Force to "create and preserve life". Palpatine never explained how this is done or what the costs were. And here we have Anakin preserved and the birth of Vader. Palpatine never lied about this power being real. But he used it to make Vader, not save Padme. Padme was the sacrifice.

You'd think something this big like this would have been canonized in some of the Luceno books dealing with Vader/Tarkin/Palpie and the early Empire or in some other form by now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Berkut

Pretty cool, actually.

I suspect the people who actually wrote that entire plot would read this and think "Damn, I wish we had actually thought of that!"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

https://www.starwars.com/news/pedro-pascal-revealed-as-the-mandalorian

QuoteLucasfilm is pleased to announce the cast of the first-ever Star Wars live-action series — The Mandalorian.

Pedro Pascal (Narcos) has been cast in the title role as a lone Mandalorian gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy. He is joined by Gina Carano (Deadpool), Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad), Emily Swallow (Supernatural), Carl Weathers (Predator), Omid Abtahi (American Gods), Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man), and Nick Nolte (Affliction).

"We're having a great time working with this incredibly talented group and excited for everyone to see what we're up to," says Executive Producer Jon Favreau.

Currently in production, The Mandalorian is written and executive produced by Jon Favreau, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode and serving as executive producer alongside Kathleen Kennedy and Colin Wilson. Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

The highly-anticipated series will be exclusive to Disney+, The Walt Disney Company's upcoming direct-to-consumer streaming service, which is set to launch in the U.S. in late 2019.

I always thought Star Wars needed more Werner Herzog.  :lol: :hmm:
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Barrister

What are the odds this is going to be actually good, and force me to subscribe to yet another streaming service? :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on December 12, 2018, 03:55:32 PM
What are the odds this is going to be actually good, and force me to subscribe to yet another streaming service? :hmm:
Pretty high.  It's Star Wars.  Even when it's bad, it's great. ;) :D