Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

I thought the soundtrack was great. Especially Rey's leitmotif, very light and catchy.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Hamilcar

In retrospect, the degree to which TFA rehashes ANH, sometimes down to re-enacting scenes, annoys me. Guess Abrams wanted to play it safe.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Hamilcar on December 19, 2015, 11:26:37 AM
In retrospect, the degree to which TFA rehashes ANH, sometimes down to re-enacting scenes, annoys me. Guess Abrams wanted to play it safe.

But that is what we the old fans needed (even if we did not consciously want it), it is a new version of the old movies we enjoyed. I see this movie as the transition from the old to the new.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Hamilcar

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 19, 2015, 11:50:27 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on December 19, 2015, 11:26:37 AM

But that is what we the old fans needed (even if we did not consciously want it), it is a new version of the old movies we enjoyed. I see this movie as the transition from the old to the new.

No doubt, but there's a balance. I think TFA was a bit too conservative in that respect.

Berkut

Just got back, some intial thoughts:

I love that the main villain is a spoiled teenager. How awesome is that? I love that they didn't kill him - I get the feeling that he will come back much stronger now that he has successfully resolved the conflict with his father (which explains to some extant how Rey was able to beat him, even without training).

I like a lot of the homage to the old series, but they probably over did it - when the X-Wings dropped into the trench to destroy the Death St...errr the Starkiller or whatever, I kind of groaned.

Rey is fantastic.

Snoke? Really? That is the best name you could come up with?

Ford played Solo PERFECTLY.

I want more backstory! What happened to the Republic? The old Empire? Give me more!

Overall it was outstanding. The special effects were incredible. Going to get IMAX 3D tickets and go see it again.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Second viewing with friends today. Afternoon screening, so many kids in the audience.

Still great fun on second viewing, IMHO. The political stuff was a bit clearer the second time through - in the opening crawl it says that the First Order has risen, and that the Resistance, aided by the Republic, fight the regime. So I take it that the First Order went, built their own little mini Empire under Snoke (who is a Dark Side user of some sort) until they felt strong enough to challenge the Republic (i.e. Starkiller Base). Meanwhile, the Resistance act as Republic sponsored insurgents, I guess? But understanding that kind of basic geography shouldn't require multiple viewings plus secondary sources. :P

I'm guessing Starkiller Base was purpose built to deliver two blows (one against the Republic Capital, one against a target of opportunity), and then its power source would be depleted.

I'm thinking that Rey is related to Luke, but it doesn't explain why she would be abandoned on Jakku as a little kid. If this was after Ben's turn to the dark side, and Luke gave up then, it wouldn't explain why she would be dumped in that shit hole. Also, she and Kylo Ren seem to be of similar age. So she would have been older when he turned.

I agree that most of the soundtrack isn't spectacular; though I do love Rey's theme, and the March of the Resistance is fairly good.

Yeah, Kylo Ren is definitely the tone that would have been required for Skywalker, at latest in Ep. III. I like how is uncertainty is underscored by the erratic, sputtering blade of his jank light saber, while Anakin's old Jedi blade is calm. Now that he's "passed the test" and has lost his old weapon in the duel, I bet we will see him with a proper saber next time, and himself more assertive and more in control of himself.

I'm not too fuzzed about all the lucky coincidences at the start of the movie. A New Hope was also full of them. About the final battle being a rehash of the Death Star battle - yeah, but they go out of their way to show that the First Order has learned from past mistakes - the weak spot is heavily shielded and requires a lot of firepower to be dismantled. As soon as they realize it's a fighter attack they launch all squadrons, and support with ground fire etc. The actual weak point was Phasma refusing to die for the cause. I wonder how that will work out for her when she's asked about that by Hux or Snoke.

The First Order is much more equal opportunity than the old Empire - there was a female stormtrooper reporting in one scene.

And there's lots of various British accents in the galaxy, even in La Resistance, not to mention the Sco'ish pirate.

Big applause after the screening (strange for a Saturday afternoon screening). Friends all loved it, and it was fun to hear the kids in the audience chatter excitedly about the movie during the end titles. Unsurprisingly many girls seem to have latched onto Rey as their favorite character, but boys seem to love her, too (as a character ... not that way ... perverts!).

A friend said something quite fitting, I thought: where R2 seems like the sweet loyal dog BB-8 is the super cute little kitten.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Thankfully, Ep. VIII is scheduled for release "only" 18 months from now, in May 2017. :P

It'll be written/directed by Rian Johnson, who wrote/directed Looper and directed three episodes of Breaking Bad (Fly, Fifty-One and Ozymandias i.e. the episode that's rated 9.9/10 on IMDB with 70k votes).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Came from a second viewing today, I enjoyed it more this time around, knowing in advance the film's flaws. This audience was much better too, cheering when famous characters (or ships) make their first appearance, and with a very audible "gasp" when Solo died.

It still pisses me off that Han Solo ends his days with his body falling in some anonymous pit, his body consumed by an explosion later on. Would have loved a fitting farewell for him, but being pissed off at how a character dies is not that bad a thing I guess.

I agree with Berkut, Kylo Ren is probably one of my favorite parts of the movie.

Anyway bring on the next one.

Zanza

I enjoyed it. Some of the references were overdone and I would have preferred a fresher storyline. But I definitely liked the characters. Han was perfect, Rey and Kylo Ren were very promising. Poe and Finn were okay, didn't like Snoke. I didn't get the political situation either. Why not start with an indecisive Republic as in Ep. I and have a small dedicated group actively fight? Strange duality of resistance and Republic.
Looking forward to see Luke as Jedi Master.

Tonitrus

Like some said, as the film went along, it seemed to become obvious Han was going to die (and would not surprise if Ford said "yeah I'll play Han again, but only if he dies").

I suppose in the next film, we'll see if Mark Hamil can act.  :P

Also, what the heck was the point of the female Chrome Trooper?  Seemed like they made some mini-hype about it, and then just basically tossed her away.  Seemed completely pointless, and just using some regular trooper wouldn't have changed anything.

Zanza

If Rey is indeed Rey Skywalker the revelation "No, I am your father" would be the least surprising thing in the whole movie series. But she is just extremely similar to Luke in so many aspects. Let's see.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Zanza on December 19, 2015, 10:02:35 PM
If Rey is indeed Rey Skywalker the revelation "No, I am your father" would be the least surprising thing in the whole movie series. But she is just extremely similar to Luke in so many aspects. Let's see.

I had suspicions before seeing it that they'd take the idea that Kylo was Han/Leia's son, and Rey would be their daughter...but as it became quickly apparent that wouldn't work.

So the "Luke's daughter" makes more sense.  I am guessing that maybe Luke had a babe among the new Jedi he was teaching, and during the Knights of Ren breakup, Rey's mom/Rey got split-up/abandoned/left behind.  And Luke would have had to thought Rey was dead as well, or else he looks like a major ass for not searching for her earlier.

Syt

I finally understand the politics.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/the-first-order

QuoteThe First Order

The New Republic's rise reduced the once-mighty Empire to a rump state hemmed in by strict disarmament treaties and punishing reparations. But in the galaxy's Unknown Regions, former Imperial officers, nobles and technologists plotted a return to power, building fleets and armies in secret. This movement became the First Order, ruled by Supreme Leader Snoke, and is now ready to reclaim the Imperial legacy.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/the-resistance

QuoteThe Resistance

A small, secretive private military force, the Resistance was founded by rebel hero Leia Organa to monitor the actions of the First Order. Most New Republic power brokers tolerate the Resistance while regarding Organa and her fighters as dead-enders with an unfortunate fixation on the past. Organa's cash-strapped movement relies on credits, ships and equipment quietly funneled to it from the few senators who share her concerns.

Again, a little bit of extra exposition in that regard wouldn't have hurt. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Hamilcar

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense now. Could have been delivered with like 2-3 throwaway lines.

celedhring

I hope there's more to Rey than "Luke's daughter", although that would still leave us the mystery of who's the mother, which could be interesting.