Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Btw, is it me, or do all the people in the First Order (except Snoke) look very young? The Resistance has people of all ages, but First Order officers all seem to be in their 20s or early 30s.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Was I the only one who hated the Death Star has a weakness scene? I mean, it was so obviously a call back but I just thought it was handled very poorly. Like a complete break down of the 4th wall.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Well, the weakness it had was a tough nut. You have to disable the shield - for that you have to get through the shield, which you can only do at lightspeed, which only a small handful of pilots would be able to achieve. Then you need to know where the shield controls are, or have means of finding them - unless you have a spy who can provide that intel, it will take time to get there. And even then taking out the critical device takes a massive assault from inside and outside to destroy which required crack commandos, force users, and an insane pilot.

So yeah, it's a weakness, but it was much less of a "press here to destroy" weakness compared to Death Stars 1 & 2.

I said previously that Finn reminds me of Lister in Red Dwarf. I'll add that Poe Dameron (the pilot who's just awesome at everything and always has the perfect one liner or retort) could very well be the star Wars universe's Ace Rimmer.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Just got out of screening. I agree with Syt watching in IMAX 3D was enjoyable.
Still taking it in, but yeah a bit confused on the Republic/Resistance and how that is broken down.
I'm curious if Rey doesn't turn out to be Luke's kid.
And who/what Snoke is. (Sith lord or just a Dark side user)
As soon as the reveal that Ren is Hans's son knew he was a goner 😢
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

lustindarkness

It may be a bit predictable, but that has to be expected, its almost like a reboot of the original. I can now read this thread.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Some more thoughts/responses to above comments:

Some great jokes/one liners. They catered to us old farts, and I'm so glad they did. Loved that. The moment that 3D Star Wars text with the music, my heart skipped a beat. I was so excited, like a child, what a great feeling to have as an adult. Same thing every time the old characters were presented, hell, I squealed like a girl when they ran to that piece of junk Millennium Falcon. :w00t:

Another Death Star?! Really?

The Snoke character? at least it was not Jar Jar Sith.  :lol:

Kylo, he sure was unsure of himself, even with training he struggled against Rey that had no training at all but was so confident on her Force powers (that she just discovered? Really?)  That was awesome anyway.

The Han and Kylo scene was done well even if it was sooo predictable. :(

And yes, I think Luke will train his daughter Rey. ;)

Oh, and the 3D was The Awesome, that Star Destroyer almost poked my eye.  :D

I think it was a great movie, I will help it break records by going to watch it again this weekend.  :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 18, 2015, 10:56:32 AMSome great jokes/one liners.

I think my favorite was the scene where Rey "learns" force persuasion with an unsuspecting Stormtrooper (".... aaand I'll drop my blaster"), plus the aftermath with Kylo flipping his shit and the other two Stormtroopers going, "Yeah, let's be somewhere else right now." :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on December 18, 2015, 11:18:41 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on December 18, 2015, 10:56:32 AMSome great jokes/one liners.

I think my favorite was the scene where Rey "learns" force persuasion with an unsuspecting Stormtrooper (".... aaand I'll drop my blaster")

And incidentally, that stormtrooper was James Bond. :D

lustindarkness

Quote from: Syt on December 18, 2015, 11:18:41 AM

I think my favorite was the scene where Rey "learns" force persuasion with an unsuspecting Stormtrooper (".... aaand I'll drop my blaster"), plus the aftermath with Kylo flipping his shit and the other two Stormtroopers going, "Yeah, let's be somewhere else right now." :lol:

Yeah, BTW, I read that the Stormtrooper that drops the gun is a Daniel Craig cameo.

Solmyr  :glare:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grinning_Colossus

So... did the First Order use Death Star 3 to destroy the Republic? What exactly went on there?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Liep

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on December 18, 2015, 04:02:48 PM
So... did the First Order use Death Star 3 to destroy the Republic? What exactly went on there?

The Republic planets seemed to be all destroyed. So who knows what's left in Episode VIII

Also, didn't they have an argument whether the storm troopers were good enough or whether it'd have been better with robots? Will we see a robot army in the next movie?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on December 17, 2015, 06:09:27 AM
Looked it up - the destroyed system was "Hosnian Prime" which is a new entry in the franchise. I guess after Star Trek Abrams thought he couldn't destroy another iconic planet. :D

So it's a throw-away.  What a coward.  I really liked the movie overall, though.  Roughly on par with (maybe slightly better than) Jedi, but not quite as good as IV or V.

I do hope this is the last time the plot centers around the bad guys building a death star/planet/whatever and then the Rebels blowing it up.  The bad guys need to find a more distributed system of destruction rather than confining themselves to a giant target.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on December 17, 2015, 03:12:25 PM
Btw, is it me, or do all the people in the First Order (except Snoke) look very young? The Resistance has people of all ages, but First Order officers all seem to be in their 20s or early 30s.

I kind of like the First Order being a sort of youth movement.  Bunch of pissed off disillusioned kids not buying into their parents' victorious rebels/Republic scene.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Also Snoke (one of the few weak points of the film IMO) reminded me a lot of the Grendel from the animated 2007 version of Beowulf.  And I have a feeling that as huge as he appears in a hologram he'll be revealed in Episode 8 as being really tiny.

celedhring

Just back.

Lots of stuff I liked, lots of stuff I didn't like. Overall I enjoyed it, and - more importantly - I'm pretty invested in the new characters and I really look forward to know where they will take them in the next two films.

Too many coincidences, chanceful encounters, etc... to my liking. Way too many. Some stuff is very confusing (what system is being attacked? What are the consequences of that planet being blown up? What's the exact political situation?). But there's a fun chemistry between the main characters, things are kept moving, and well - it's entertaining.