Gaming controllers for adults: do they exist?

Started by viper37, December 09, 2015, 10:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I'm thinking of leaning toward the dark side.  Witcher 3 is proving difficult to play, everytime I try to dodge with ALT I get Windows menu instead.

Xbox or PS4 controllers are for kids.  I need something bigger so that I don't hit 3 buttons at once and more reliable so that it won't break after a few weeks or use.

What are my options?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

You have shuned the best one by default. Therefore I will not help you.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

If that's the best, I'll pass.
I've found a decent priced wireless gaming mouse, Logitech G602.  Will try with that.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

What's your issue with the best controller ever made?

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 10, 2015, 12:03:07 PM
What's your issue with the best controller ever made?
it's too small and looks very fragile.  Plus, it costs 149$ on Amazon.ca, for the wireless version.

Grey Fox

No, an xbox 360 controller is 50$ + the dongle you buy on dx.com

Small, you must be a giant but that's not something we can change. Looking fragile & being fragile are 2 different things. My 360 controller is 9 years old, works fine.

viper37

You're right about the price, there have been multiple versions of the same controller.

Re: size:  It's mainly the ABXY buttons I have trouble with, whenever I try one of these things, I press 2 or 3 buttons at once, especially to reach the top right one.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Syt

You might want to look into a fightstick equivalent of a controller, then. :P

(Though good luck with games that require you to press two face buttons at the same time :P ).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Xbox controllers too small?  Have you actually used one? :huh:

Also, just so you know, the console controllers tend to be WAY sturdier than their generic USB counterparts.  Course, you could go for one of the endless third-party Xbox controllers- some of them are both big AND sturdy, like the Hori I use on my computer:

http://www.amazon.com/Hori-Pad-Turbo-Black-Xbox-360/dp/B002L3SXO4
Experience bij!

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 17, 2015, 04:49:14 AM
Xbox controllers too small?  Have you actually used one? :huh:
The 360 or the one before that, I think.  My cousin left an old console at his mom's house so it's used as a DVD player.

Also, just so you know, the console controllers tend to be WAY sturdier than their generic USB counterparts.
Well, I keep breaking my mices...  And hard drives, sometimes, when I get angry.

Course, you could go for one of the endless third-party Xbox controllers- some of them are both big AND sturdy, like the Hori I use on my computer:

http://www.amazon.com/Hori-Pad-Turbo-Black-Xbox-360/dp/B002L3SXO4

I found myself a Logitech gaming mouse for 50$, with many buttons.  Still haven't figured out how to reprogram some of the buttons, but so far, it's proven to be quite enjoyable.  In Witcher 3, I have problems with the strong attack, but eventually, I'll find a button I can use correctly in combat.  Middle click works like a charm.

Of course, the downside is that I can't play on the couch in front of my tv, I have to stick to my desk.  But Steam in home streaming has proven disapointing anyway.

Razgovory

I have a 360 controller I picked up for 15 bucks.  Are you some sort of man-bear hybrid? 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Got an Xbox One Cyberpunk controller.  It's smallish on the side and looks fragile, but it'll do.

However, I can't get it to work with Steam.
I want to play Jedi Fallen Order, but Steam refuses to recognize the controller unless it is plugged it.  Windows 10 is paired with the controller. But Steam won't do anything about it.

I tried all the settings I could fine in Steam, on the client machine as well as the host, I manually started the Xbox services, still a no go.

Anyone has an idea?