News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on June 13, 2016, 10:41:54 AM
thanks for the explanations, CM, will go through and check it out later when I've got time.

Make sure to also reply, phrase by phrase.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I really hope the sign is fake, or otherwise Valmy needs explain how this happened.

Actual quote:

QuoteAmong the many interesting objects, which will engage your attention, that of providing for the common defence will merit particular regard. To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined;
to which end a Uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others, for essential, particularly for military supplies.

The proper establishment of the Troops which may be deemed indispensible, will be entitled to mature consideration. In the arrangements which may be made respecting it, it will be of importance to conciliate the comfortable support of the Officers and Soldiers with a due regard to economy.

It's from the first annual address to Congress
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Huh. I have never seen a sign like that before. It does kind of look like a state historical marker:

So I vote for a photo shop of one. I am not sure where we would post such a marker.

It does sound like something Washington and Jefferson might say if one put both brains in the same body or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

It didn't occur to me at the moment, but the fact that they put the second amendment with a doctored quote and then attributed it to George Washington it implies that the entire thing is part of the 2nd amendment and the US constitution was written (at least in part) by George Washington.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

PDH

Quote from: LaCroix on June 12, 2016, 11:10:03 PM
Quote from: PDH on June 10, 2016, 06:16:25 PMYou are right, there are several standard English norms - what I was referring to was within these norms there are standardized grammars, spellings, syntax, etc.  Think here, textbook (American) English, for example.

and within american english, there's no standard by which all must follow. for example, consider punctuation: authors frequently abandon those rigid laws. one could, conceivably, correctly, use punctuation, and, therefore, it would, for sure, be correct, but it's really pretty awful, for the reader, to slog through, and, I don't think, it's reasonable to demand everyone to conform absolutely

What part of "standardized grammars, spelling, syntax, etc." would lead you to believe I said there were rigid rules that must be followed?  My whole argument was that there were many versions of English, all of them linguistically correct, but there is still an educational norm of "Standard English" which (others have pointed out better than I) are often required to succeed due to basic human societal factors.

Note - I could add a few commas if you wish.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

I like the fact the English never standardized their language like the French.  It creates such beautiful chaos.

Oexmelin

Please, give me an example of how the French standardized their language.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 15, 2016, 11:02:10 PM
Please, give me an example of how the French standardized their language.

I would assume he was talking about the Académie française.  Which without any profound knowledge of the topic, sounds like a pretty good attempt at standardization.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 15, 2016, 10:04:38 PM
I like the fact the English never standardized their language like the French.  It creates such beautiful chaos.

Oh FFS. You just will not stop talking trash will you?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on June 15, 2016, 11:25:06 PM
I would assume he was talking about the Académie française.  Which without any profound knowledge of the topic, sounds like a pretty good attempt at standardization.

Of course that is what he is thinking about. But, as you indicated, the problem is "without any profound knowledge of the topic". It just presumes a bunch of stuff stemming from a crude set of vague ideas about "the French".

How, exactly, did the Académie française "standardized" the French language in ways that various other institutions in English-speaking countries, did not? Was there no process of standardization of English? I thought the whole point of the previous discussion was indeed that there are standards of English - indeed, anyone opening a variety of books from the 16th century will realize quite quickly, that the variations in punctuation, in spelling, in letter choices ("u" for "v") have all been standardized. It is, in fact, a process that is quite well studied, in increasingly fine detail thanks to digitized books.  So, I want to know, what it is that the Dictionnaire of the Académie did that the OED, the Webster, or Samuel Johnson's dictionary, did not.

Valmy

He just hates the French and takes every innocuous thing as a sign of their ethnic inferiority to the glories of Missouri.

Oexmelin

Perhaps he had a bad time in Bonne Terre, MO. Or was swindled by the Laclède Gaz Company. Or fell in the River Des Pères.