News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Besides I have never been clear if speaking an Afro-American dialect as a white person was considered demeaning or insulting. This lady says it is not "good enough" for me. But if I did speak it then these same left wing people probably insist it was appropriation of some kind. I wish they would be clear on what is considered acceptable and what is considered racist.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2016, 02:21:48 PM
Yeah well white people who speak dialects have the same issue.

You could almost turn that into a song.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

PDH

Quote from: garbon on June 10, 2016, 01:36:17 PM
Quote from: PDH on June 10, 2016, 01:27:42 PM
The point being that there is a standard defined English

Is that the case though? As I noted previously what could be standard English differs by nation which would seem to undermine the notion of 'a' Standard English even though there might be various standards by nation. 

Wiki has this to say: "Standard English (SE) refers to whatever form of the English language is accepted as a national norm in any English-speaking country. It encompasses grammar, vocabulary and spelling. In the British Isles, particularly in England and Wales, it is often associated with: the "Received Pronunciation" accent (there are several variants of the accent) and UKSE (United Kingdom Standard English), which refers to grammar and vocabulary. In Scotland the standard is Scottish Standard English. In the United States it is generally associated with (though controversially) the General American accent and in Australia with General Australian."

You are right, there are several standard English norms - what I was referring to was within these norms there are standardized grammars, spellings, syntax, etc.  Think here, textbook (American) English, for example.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

LaCroix

Quote from: PDH on June 10, 2016, 06:16:25 PMYou are right, there are several standard English norms - what I was referring to was within these norms there are standardized grammars, spellings, syntax, etc.  Think here, textbook (American) English, for example.

and within american english, there's no standard by which all must follow. for example, consider punctuation: authors frequently abandon those rigid laws. one could, conceivably, correctly, use punctuation, and, therefore, it would, for sure, be correct, but it's really pretty awful, for the reader, to slog through, and, I don't think, it's reasonable to demand everyone to conform absolutely

Admiral Yi

i think, you have, no clue about punctuation

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on June 12, 2016, 11:10:03 PM
and within american english, there's no standard by which all must follow. for example, consider punctuation: authors frequently abandon those rigid laws. one could, conceivably, correctly, use punctuation, and, therefore, it would, for sure, be correct, but it's really pretty awful, for the reader, to slog through, and, I don't think, it's reasonable to demand everyone to conform absolutely

You need to stop that right now.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2016, 11:13:26 PM
i think, you have, no clue about punctuation

was there a punctuation error? show where

DGuller

I'm still skipping over everything LaCroix writes.  Too much energy is needed to read posts that deliberately ignore basic grammar rules, and in my experience, very few people worth reading write that way on the Internet.

LaCroix

I'm still calling you out on that one time I wrote correctly just to appease you  :D

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on June 12, 2016, 11:21:44 PM
I'm still skipping over everything LaCroix writes.  Too much energy is needed to read posts that deliberately ignore basic grammar rules, and in my experience, very few people worth reading write that way on the Internet.

:yes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

LaCroix

Quote from: Habbaku on June 12, 2016, 11:33:59 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 12, 2016, 11:21:44 PM

:yes:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on June 12, 2016, 11:15:30 PM
was there a punctuation error? show where

No period on last sentence, colon used incorrectly, half your commas used incorrectly.