News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2016, 09:07:04 AM
Yeah I get why gentrification is bad for some people - my question was more how you stop contributing to it?

As white people? Stop leaving you current neighborhood when black people start showing up & living in the neighborhood.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2016, 09:10:21 AM
As white people? Stop leaving you current neighborhood when black people start showing up & living in the neighborhood.

What does that have to do with gentrification? I thought that was white people moving into black neighborhoods and driving up the price. Everybody leaving a neighborhood would seem to drive down prices.

Also I cannot stop doing that since I have never done it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2016, 09:07:04 AM
Yeah I get why gentrification is bad for some people - my question was more how you stop contributing to it?

They smell funny.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2016, 09:16:51 AM

What does that have to do with gentrification? I thought that was white people moving into black neighborhoods and driving up the price. Everybody leaving a neighborhood would seem to drive down prices.

Also I cannot stop doing that since I have never done it.

I understand it as white people moving to a poor neighborhood & pricing it out for the current residents.

It does, the original neighborhood sees it's prices go down since all the white people are leaving it.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2016, 09:38:16 AMIt does, the original neighborhood sees it's prices go down since all the white people are leaving it.

Right so the opposite of gentrification.

QuoteI understand it as white people moving to a poor neighborhood & pricing it out for the current residents.

Right so how would lowering the prices force the current residents out? Property taxes would go down, hence making it easier to keep your house.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2016, 09:54:17 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2016, 09:38:16 AMIt does, the original neighborhood sees it's prices go down since all the white people are leaving it.

Right so the opposite of gentrification.

QuoteI understand it as white people moving to a poor neighborhood & pricing it out for the current residents.

Right so how would lowering the prices force the current residents out? Property taxes would go down, hence making it easier to keep your house.

2 different neighborhood.

Martinus

The Brain

This place just makes me feel sad inside.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Gentrification rocks.  In the past decade has turned Over-the-Rhine into a fun place full of good restaurants, bars, and four (so far) breweries.  I can take my kids there during the day.  Many, many historic buildings have been saved and it's a place the city can be proud of again.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2016, 10:08:57 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 06, 2016, 10:05:42 AM
Here's a list of things that a person can personally do.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/10/9-ways-privileged-gentrification/

everydayfeminism.com? :bleeding:

And you guys shit on me for linking breitbart.com. :D

It is what popped up when I did a google search. I'm not saying you should regularly read it. Though I don't really find any issue with feminism everyday.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Calling poor run-down neighborhoods "communities" in the context of opposing that to the cruel soullesness of "gentrified" i.e. not run-down neighbourhoods has to be  one of the most condescending/racist stereotypes around. If I were from such "communities" I would be appaled at the arrogance and condescending attitude of any sheltered idiots coming to my area's defense.  I would probably utilise them to avoid having to relocate/lose my juicy free council flat, but I would despise and hate them inside.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on June 06, 2016, 10:11:55 AM
Gentrification rocks.  In the past decade has turned Over-the-Rhine into a fun place full of good restaurants, bars, and four (so far) breweries.  I can take my kids there during the day.  Many, many historic buildings have been saved and it's a place the city can be proud of again.

Well yes, gentrification is pretty awesome if in your favor. It is great for me but I can also see how it has downsides for others.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 06, 2016, 10:14:05 AM
Calling poor run-down neighborhoods "communities" in the context of opposing that to the cruel soullesness of "gentrified" i.e. not run-down neighbourhoods has to be  one of the most condescending/racist stereotypes around. If I were from such "communities" I would be appaled at the arrogance and condescending attitude of any sheltered idiots coming to my area's defense.  I would probably utilise them to avoid having to relocate/lose my juicy free council flat, but I would despise and hate them inside.

But that's what they are. They are indeed communities which they often aren't post-gentrification.

DGuller

I think both sides have a point there.  Tamas is right that there is a lot of implied condescension in anti-gentrification rhetoric.  Garbon is right in that gentrified communities tend to be soulless.  I live in one, and it most definitely is. 

Maybe it'll take time for community spirit to take root, but I suspect not;  people who tend to live in gentrified neighborhood tend to be very mobile in general, which may be good in some ways, but not for the purpose of building a community.