News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2016, 01:16:39 PM
I talked to someone I went to school with on facebook the other day.  Guy was a smart kid.  Now he's completly bonkers.  Really hates cops, think we live in a police state.
Is he a Bernie bro?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Capetan Mihali

I talked to someone I went to school with on facebook the other day.  Guy was a smart kid.  Now he's completly bonkers.  Really hates cops, think we live in a police state.

Both sound like evidence he's still a smart fellow.  Got anything else?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 02, 2016, 01:49:54 PM

Libertarian.  Believes that "they" are about to launch a military coup to prevent the American people from "waking up".  Big into "Men's rights".  I remember him as a drug dealer, and I think his problem with cops is not brutality, but because cops enforce laws he doesn't really care to abide by.  His libertarianism is rather confused, as it includes both positive and negative rights.  The right "not to have government in every aspect of your life", and the right to drink water without hormones in it.

The guy is a smart fellow.  One of the smartest in our school.  Unfortunately smart doesn't mean well adjusted or sane.  He can't keep a job and only gets hired for menial positions.  I think his real problem is with authority.  Some smart people get really unhappy at the idea they have to follow laws enacted by people they don't think are as smart as they are.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

The guy sounds like a typical Asparagus.  Intelligence without sound judgment is a dangerous mix.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on June 02, 2016, 02:58:05 PM
The guy sounds like a typical Asparagus.  Intelligence without sound judgment is a dangerous mix.

:mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on June 02, 2016, 02:58:05 PM

No, just a belligerent blowhard with an authority problem.  I wouldn't doubt he has a rap sheet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2016, 02:50:22 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 02, 2016, 01:49:54 PM

Libertarian.  Believes that "they" are about to launch a military coup to prevent the American people from "waking up".  Big into "Men's rights". 

OK, you've got plenty.

QuoteThe guy is a smart fellow.  One of the smartest in our school.  Unfortunately smart doesn't mean well adjusted or sane.  He can't keep a job and only gets hired for menial positions.  I think his real problem is with authority.  Some smart people get really unhappy at the idea they have to follow laws enacted by people they don't think are as smart as they are.

Anyways, that's too bad his intellect is going to waste.  Of course they're right that a lot of the people enacting laws don't get to their law-making position by virtue of being particularly smart, or at least go out of their way to convince people they aren't very smart and don't value smartness (Seedy's recent Hoftstadter avatar comes to mind).  And that a lot of important laws aren't enacted for smart reasons, but for other reasons, like pandering, parochial sentiment, or (as with the case of drug laws) raw punitiveness.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

The whole thing started cause he posted like a dozen things of Facebook from something called https://www.facebook.com/policethepoliceACP  I have no problem with the idea of filming the police, and I know some cops have assaulted people who do so which is wrong.

We both agreed there are bad cops in the US, but I attribute this to structural problems and he to a conspiracy.  He was particularly pissed about police acquiring military equipment, which doesn't really bother me.  He saw that as preparation for some big take over, while I saw it as result of the way Federal grants work and the US government trying to offload equipment it doesn't need anymore.  He believed that we have such high prison rate is evidence of a police state, while I see it as evidence of decades of voters demanding that politicians enact "tough on crime" laws and politicians happily doing so without caring about the consequences.

garbon

Courtesy of fhdz. Not sure what to make of Sanders supporters.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Martinus

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

LaCroix

acronyms should be denoted in text, in parenthesis, after the phrase is fully written out. not hidden for the reader to find. shit activism there