News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on May 01, 2016, 02:02:32 AM
Is there any single condition that is not made worse by being overweight?
it's more along the line of being overweight does not preclude being in bad health.  Existing adverse medical conditions can be amplified, but it is not true that being overweight automatically brings bad health in itself.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

"Fatness has little to nothing to do with health" is climate change denial level of stupidity. Perhaps even worse. Is there any single condition that is not made worse by being overweight?

Unpopular opinion time: As someone who struggles to get rid of a spare tire, these tubs of lard acting like their physically revolting dietary habits are somehow on par with a genuine medical condition like PCOS or actual hypothyroidism, which really do cause uncontrollable weight gain, sicken me.  There's a difference between calling somebody fat for an extra 10 pounds that may or may not just be muscle, and calling out somebody who doesn't want to confront their own fucking food addiction.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on May 02, 2016, 12:25:07 PM
Is there any single condition that is not made worse by being overweight?
it's more along the line of being overweight does not preclude being in bad health.  Existing adverse medical conditions can be amplified, but it is not true that being overweight automatically brings bad health in itself.

Because it is a symptom, not a disease in itself.  The obnoxious thing about this "fat acceptance" fad is that it keeps people from talking about the real underlying issues causing the fatness in the first place.  Food addiction.  Being sedentary to the point of risking real cardiovascular issues.  Stuff like that.
Experience bij!

Valmy

I can get not wanting people to be all like 'OMG you are a big fat pig' all  the time. But hell if you that just move to the American South or Texas. Being fat is totally normal, nobody will give you shit about it.

But I think these people want more than just not getting shit for being fat, they want affirmation. And you really should not expect affirmation unless you are doing something generally considered impressive.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Walking around with five hundred pounds of weight is impressive.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2016, 01:04:42 PM
I can get not wanting people to be all like 'OMG you are a big fat pig' all  the time. But hell if you that just move to the American South or Texas. Being fat is totally normal, nobody will give you shit about it.

But I think these people want more than just not getting shit for being fat, they want affirmation. And you really should not expect affirmation unless you are doing something generally considered impressive.

Being an unfairly oppressed victim is a variation on the theme of affirmation.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2016, 05:51:51 PM
Walking around with five hundred pounds of weight is impressive.

Indeed. Most people who weigh that much can hardly walk at all.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 02, 2016, 12:40:23 PM
Food addiction.  Being sedentary to the point of risking real cardiovascular issues.  Stuff like that.
and too much sugar in everything we eat and drink.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Brazen

"Fatness has little to nothing to do with health" is climate change denial level of stupidity. Perhaps even worse. Is there any single condition that is not made worse by being overweight?
Fatness does not necessarily trigger the biomarkers for the conditions it can cause. I'm obese but recently aced a full-scale wellness test including blood sugar, cholesterol, resting heart-rate etc. because I exercise and my diet's good. In fact the nurse said "nearly everyone your age leaves with stains, but your risk of a cardiovascular incident is half that of average for your age.

There's a reverse causality at work too. If you don't exercise and eat well you're more likely to be overweight, and the first two are just as much culprits for life-affecting conditions as the weight itself.

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on May 09, 2016, 09:12:42 AM
I'm obese

:yeahright:

But then I come from Texas. If you can move without one of those scooter things you are not obese to us :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on May 01, 2016, 02:12:02 AM
Just for the record, my post was meant to lampoon the idiocy of that fat bitch and her Powerpoint - not the lampoon people lampooning her. Just saying. ;)
Please don't call someone you don't know a bitch based on her appearance and Powerpoint skills.