News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Also, I never knew Dennis the Menace was a "refugee". Though that does explain some things.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on January 12, 2016, 09:59:08 AM

Pretty sure an "undetermined number" is a few thousand while there are millions of seniors so...probably one is much more affordable than the other?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on January 12, 2016, 10:37:02 AM
The tax list in my last post is, of course, also wrong (according to Snopes).

It is a straight lie.

There are three kinds of politics memes:

False Equivalency
Things that are true but presented in such a way as to tell a lie
Straight up lies
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2016, 10:57:41 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 12, 2016, 10:37:02 AM
The tax list in my last post is, of course, also wrong (according to Snopes).

It is a straight lie.

There are three kinds of politics memes:

False Equivalency
Things that are true but presented in such a way as to tell a lie
Straight up lies

Sure, but plenty people who can't be bothered to fact check what they post, or believe that the really true truth is only found in "alternative" media, outside the main stream media (or Lügenpresse, as the German equivalent would say).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Oh, c'mon, they aren't even trying to make it plausible.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

I wonder if images like the one Syt posts constantly even exist in German political discourse or if I am just so isolated in my peer group that I don't see them.

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on January 13, 2016, 07:04:34 AM
I wonder if images like the one Syt posts constantly even exist in German political discourse or if I am just so isolated in my peer group that I don't see them.

Someone is looking for silly things to post.  They probably exist (in proportional numbers) in every Western country, but people in most countries are too ashamed of their stupidity to widely share them.

Every country has its share of those who are willfully ignorant and proud of it.  The US has far more than its share, IMO.  Syt's family seems like the distilled essence of that movement.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

I find that illegal aliens can get drivers license baffling.

Hollywood showed me that immigrants are afraid of the authorities.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2016, 10:56:46 AM
Pretty sure an "undetermined number" is a few thousand while there are millions of seniors so...probably one is much more affordable than the other?
wouldn't the same people be opposed to any increase in government spending, even for seniors?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

That dog has some nerve. Even if his masters aren't working, they still have to do chores for his sake. Whereas, he does absolutely nothing. Probably can't even fetch a newspaper.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

"When the attack was in France flags were at half mast. When new york shook the flags were at half mast. Why are they now that own compatriots were killed NOT at half mast. It's a disgrace for the germans!"
- My German niece. I tried to preserve some of the grammatical errors, but they're not all easily translatable (like inconsistent capitalization).

I would like a divorce from my family, please.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller