News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://conservativetribune.com/muslim-welfare-queen-judge/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=PostBottomSharingButtons&utm_content=2016-01-10&utm_campaign=websitesharingbuttons

QuoteMuslim "Welfare Queen" Refuses to Remove Headscarf in Court... Judge Puts Her in Her Place

Muslim immigrant Rania El-Alloul had a rude awakening in a Montreal court when she showed up wearing her Islamic head covering.

Arrogantly assuming that the court would bow to her beliefs, she was told by Quebec Judge Eliana Marengo that if she wanted to be heard she would have to remove her hajib.

"The courtroom is a secular place and a secular space," said Marengo. "There are no religious symbols in this room. Not on the walls and not on the persons."

The judge went on to say that she would not hear anyone that appeared wearing a hat or sunglasses either.

"I will therefore not hear you if you are wearing a scarf on your head," Marengo said.

When asked if she would remove the headscarf so that the court could continue, El-Alloul declined.

"Actually I cannot remove my scarf," said El-Alloul. "Since long years I'm wearing my scarf."

El-Alloul then started to give the judge excuses that she was poor, on welfare and a mother of three on her own, but the judge would hear none of it.

"That's not what I'm talking about," said Marengo in reference to the excuses.

The judge told her that she would not be hearing her case and that she could consult a lawyer.

El-Alloul was appearing before the court to try to get back her car, which had been impounded after police discovered her son driving it without a license (H/T Mad World News).

Of the incident, El-Alloul says that she now lives in fear. "What happened in the court made me afraid. I felt that I'm not Canadian anymore," she said.

Just as liberal secular humanists don't want to be judged under Christian principals, people of other religions must understand that they don't get a special pass either.

Immigrants to another nation should be ready to assimilate to their chosen country's laws, language and culture if they wish to live there.

Please share this article on Facebook and Twitter if you agree that Muslims must follow the laws of the country in which they choose to live.

I wonder if my sister and her husband would have shared this if this was about her wearing a cross pendant instead. :hmm: What is the judge going to do if there's a Sikh with a turban?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Wow, Quebec does indeed seem to be inhabited by racist assholes. I thought it was just on Languish.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2016, 01:16:31 AMI wonder if my sister and her husband would have shared this if this was about her wearing a cross pendant instead. :hmm: What is the judge going to do if there's a Sikh with a turban?

Or a Catholic priest being ordered to remove his cassock.

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on January 11, 2016, 01:47:37 AM
Wow, Quebec does indeed seem to be inhabited by racist assholes. I thought it was just on Languish.

Okay Mr. "Its fun to be racist."
Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

I guess "reasonable accommodation" doesn't translate into Quebecois.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Btw, further investigation reveals that this is a news story from March of last year, and that the welfare queen refused to accept $50,000 that a crowdfunding campaign collected for her so she could buy a new car. I don't seem to be able to find if there were any repercussions for either her or the judge otherwise.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2016, 01:16:31 AM
http://conservativetribune.com/muslim-welfare-queen-judge/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=PostBottomSharingButtons&utm_content=2016-01-10&utm_campaign=websitesharingbuttons

QuoteMuslim "Welfare Queen" Refuses to Remove Headscarf in Court... Judge Puts Her in Her Place

Muslim immigrant Rania El-Alloul had a rude awakening in a Montreal court when she showed up wearing her Islamic head covering.

Arrogantly assuming that the court would bow to her beliefs, she was told by Quebec Judge Eliana Marengo that if she wanted to be heard she would have to remove her hajib.

"The courtroom is a secular place and a secular space," said Marengo. "There are no religious symbols in this room. Not on the walls and not on the persons."

The judge went on to say that she would not hear anyone that appeared wearing a hat or sunglasses either.

"I will therefore not hear you if you are wearing a scarf on your head," Marengo said.

When asked if she would remove the headscarf so that the court could continue, El-Alloul declined.

"Actually I cannot remove my scarf," said El-Alloul. "Since long years I'm wearing my scarf."

El-Alloul then started to give the judge excuses that she was poor, on welfare and a mother of three on her own, but the judge would hear none of it.

The judge told her that she would not be hearing her case and that she could consult a lawyer.

El-Alloul was appearing before the court to try to get back her car, which had been impounded after police discovered her son driving it without a license (H/T Mad World News).

Of the incident, El-Alloul says that she now lives in fear. "What happened in the court made me afraid. I felt that I'm not Canadian anymore," she said.

Just as liberal secular humanists don't want to be judged under Christian principals, people of other religions must understand that they don't get a special pass either.

Immigrants to another nation should be ready to assimilate to their chosen country's laws, language and culture if they wish to live there.

Please share this article on Facebook and Twitter if you agree that Muslims must follow the laws of the country in which they choose to live.

I wonder if my sister and her husband would have shared this if this was about her wearing a cross pendant instead. :hmm: What is the judge going to do if there's a Sikh with a turban?

It depends on the judge really but told to take it off.

You guys really don't understand what Secular anti-clericalism means, eh.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 11, 2016, 09:38:38 AM
It depends on the judge really but told to take it off.

Yep. It is kind of funny to see Christian fundies cheering on their mortal foes when they go after the other religions though. What is that saying about how religious people and Atheists can at least agree 99.99% of religions are wrong?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 11, 2016, 09:38:38 AM

Of course we understand what it means, and understand the intolerance that drives it.  Anti-clericalism is not some special brand of intolerance that outsiders can't understand.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2016, 09:41:32 AM
Yep. It is kind of funny to see Christian fundies cheering on their mortal foes when they go after the other religions though. What is that saying about how religious people and Atheists can at least agree 99.99% of religions are wrong?

Indeed.  The people who wrote this were likely exploding in rage when that judge was told to take the Ten Commandments off the wall of his courthouse.  Of course, they then elected him to be the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court...

Bayraktar!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2016, 01:16:31 AM

Funny article, since it A: doesn't provide any links, or even dates; and B: flies in the face of binding Canadian case law.

Some quick googling shows what Syt found - that it was from March 2015, but also that the decision was roundly criticized.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

The tax list in my last post is, of course, also wrong (according to Snopes).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on January 12, 2016, 09:59:08 AM

The best America had used their connections to join the reserves. That was the problem.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."