And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

I've met Randy Weaver at gun shows. Twice.

I didn't buy his book either time.

That garbage is par for the course, but most of the people who go are making fun of it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

The last picture being a photoshop (used to read "every time he leaves the house."), but my sister and her friends took it seriously.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2015, 09:43:07 AM
My parents got their first computer in the 70s. My Dad is really good with them but somehow my mom, despite using computers constantly for over 40 years, is still shockingly incompetent.

Dad is an electrical engineer. Worked with NCR mainframes back in the day. Has had a computer ever since he bought our first in the late 80s.

He has yet to figure out how to install shit in another partition than C:.   :huh::hmm:

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on December 20, 2015, 01:42:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2015, 09:43:07 AM
My parents got their first computer in the 70s. My Dad is really good with them but somehow my mom, despite using computers constantly for over 40 years, is still shockingly incompetent.

Dad is an electrical engineer. Worked with NCR mainframes back in the day. Has had a computer ever since he bought our first in the late 80s.

He has yet to figure out how to install shit in another partition than C:.   :huh: :hmm:

My dad was a computer programmer since the early 1980's.  Still clueless with PCs.  He always had this arrogant attitude that PCs would never replace mainframes with dumb terminals.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

My dad was a computer programmer since the early 1980's.  Still clueless with PCs.  He always had this arrogant attitude that PCs would never replace mainframes with dumb terminals.
Except for the interlude between say 1985 and 2010 he was right. Except these days it's called cloud and user device instead of mainframe and terminal.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!