News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2019, 02:55:42 PM
Huh? We wear our flag on our clothes all the time.

I couldn't care less but I never understood the argument that it's disrespect not to pledge to the flag but perfectly ok to display the flag on one's ass.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2019, 02:55:42 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 08, 2019, 02:50:19 PM
Arguably it's disrespectful to put the flag on shoes or any piece of clothing for that matter but apparently the Trumpy types like that sort of stuff now so it's "OK"

Huh? We wear our flag on our clothes all the time.

We pretty much ignore the almost-entirely-unknown US Flag Code (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code).

And that is probably ok, as its history of law is pretty dubious.  It is only really adhered to by know-it-all patriots or dedicated public servants like myself.  :sleep:

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2019, 01:49:27 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 07, 2019, 01:49:30 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2019, 11:22:09 AM
The drama took place three years ago.

Kaepernik has bubbled up again due to the Betsy Ross Flag Sneaker Controversy.

Huh. Well...um...I remain confused by what exactly he is hoping to accomplish.

I've read a couple different things; either he objects to the slavery that existed in the colonies during the Revolutionary period or that the Betsy Ross Flag has been used by some hate groups.  (No law enforcement agencies seem to be aware of the Betsy Ross Flag being used by hate groups; and even the ADL, who has kept us abreast of the danger of Pepe the Frog, doesn't list the Betsy Ross Flag as a hate symbol.)

I find the Nike consumer puzzling in all of this.  Nike doesn't sell sneakers so much as it sells an image; what marketers call a "Brand."  In the past Nike was the brand of champions; their pitchmen were people who were phenomenal in their sport (Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, or Serena Williams.)  Those stars have aged and they haven't been able to find replacements.  By signing Colin Kaepernik has changed their brand to social consciousness.  Their motto now is: "Believe in something even if it costs you everything."  My problem with this is that Nike isn't a socially conscious manufacturer.  They still make their sneakers in third world sweatshop for starvation wages.  Their subcontractors still withhold wages and use forced labor.  Who is so "Woke" that they object to the Betsy Ross Flag, but are untroubled by Nike's labor practices?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on July 12, 2019, 03:20:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2019, 01:49:27 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 07, 2019, 01:49:30 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2019, 11:22:09 AM
The drama took place three years ago.

Kaepernik has bubbled up again due to the Betsy Ross Flag Sneaker Controversy.

Huh. Well...um...I remain confused by what exactly he is hoping to accomplish.

I've read a couple different things; either he objects to the slavery that existed in the colonies during the Revolutionary period or that the Betsy Ross Flag has been used by some hate groups.  (No law enforcement agencies seem to be aware of the Betsy Ross Flag being used by hate groups; and even the ADL, who has kept us abreast of the danger of Pepe the Frog, doesn't list the Betsy Ross Flag as a hate symbol.)

I find the Nike consumer puzzling in all of this.  Nike doesn't sell sneakers so much as it sells an image; what marketers call a "Brand."  In the past Nike was the brand of champions; their pitchmen were people who were phenomenal in their sport (Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, or Serena Williams.)  Those stars have aged and they haven't been able to find replacements.  By signing Colin Kaepernik has changed their brand to social consciousness.  Their motto now is: "Believe in something even if it costs you everything."  My problem with this is that Nike isn't a socially conscious manufacturer.  They still make their sneakers in third world sweatshop for starvation wages.  Their subcontractors still withhold wages and use forced labor.  Who is so "Woke" that they object to the Betsy Ross Flag, but are untroubled by Nike's labor practices?

:face:  :lmfao:

Oexmelin

Someone on my twitter feed reposted this Clinton speech from 2000.

QuoteNow there's no question China has been trying to crack down on the Internet. (Chuckles.) Good luck! (Laughter.) That's sort of like trying to nail jello to the wall. (Laughter.) But I would argue to you that their effort to do that just proves how real these changes are and how much they threaten the status quo. It's not an argument for slowing down the effort to bring China into the world, it's an argument for accelerating that effort. In the knowledge economy, economic innovation and political empowerment, whether anyone likes it or not, will inevitably go hand in hand.

https://www.iatp.org/sites/default/files/Full_Text_of_Clintons_Speech_on_China_Trade_Bi.htm

Chuckles indeed.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

But that's not racist either, I guess.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

I wonder what the overlap between comparing humans to wild animals, being pro-life because even unborn human life is precious and not believing in evolution and holding humans to be special compared to animals is. I begin to suspect that's Syt's wider family may not have a coherent view of the world.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on July 16, 2019, 11:53:08 AM
I begin to suspect that's Syt's wider family may not have a coherent view of the world.

:o

:thumbsup:
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on July 16, 2019, 11:53:08 AM
I begin to suspect that's Syt's wider family may not have a coherent view of the world.
it's a shock to most of us here.  ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Why quote the words of each side when you can just lie about what they said?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Hey he was the one who said America was no longer great.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould