News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Outrageous. Typical Republican propaganda to claim that raising taxes is really more important to Democrats than killing babies. Every decent rational person knows that killing babies is top priority, even if it means keeping a couple taxes unraised.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Keeping the electoral college is obviously a point of emphasis for the right wing, now that winning the most votes is impossible.

Eddie Teach

You overestimate the US voting public.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 06, 2019, 07:36:31 PM
You overestimate the US voting public.

Maybe if you joined it, it would be a little better -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

No it wasn't.

The ones I can see some truth to are:

raise taxes: Republicans in 1860 did support higher tariffs to protect industry, and temporary taxes to support the war effort (when that started the following year).
open borders: there had never been an immigration law in US history. I don't think you can really call the republicans in 1860 an especially pro immigrant party, however - they introduced and passed the country's first immigration exclusion bills the following decade.
suppress free speech: I guess you can make a case they did suppress free speech while putting down a rebellion.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

The Republicans were partially created by the No-Nothings so they always had anti-immigrant tendencies. Besides, immigrants were the northern Democrats' base.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Anti-abortion law.
love it! :)  (the pic, not the law!)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.